Oatmeal - what kind and what do you add?

Oatmeal - what kind and what do you add?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 10:05 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
... I think that is why there is so much diabetes from all the sugar people use. ...
I knew a guy who would only consume artificial sweeteners. He developed artificial diabetes.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I knew a guy who would only consume artificial sweeteners. He developed artificial diabetes.
Artificial sweeteners are even worse. I never use those.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2018, 02:57 PM
Sage

Instant Quakers oatmeal with water added. Splenda with a dash of fat free milk. Being a type two diabetic, I wouldn't expect anyone to like this simple way to make it.

I also eat a slice of toast with egg beaters and then go to the gym. Washed down with water.

Before anyone criticizes, I had doing this routine 5 days a week for many years with no ill effects. It works for me.

I don't disagree with the people who add other stuff or use other oatmeal. It's probably healthier.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-05-2018, 03:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Instant Quakers oatmeal with water added. Splenda with a dash of fat free milk. Being a type two diabetic, I wouldn't expect anyone to like this simple way to make it.

I also eat a slice of toast with egg beaters and then go to the gym. Washed down with water.

Before anyone criticizes, I had doing this routine 5 days a week for many years with no ill effects. It works for me.

I don't disagree with the people who add other stuff or use other oatmeal. It's probably healthier.
It is all about personal preference. There is no right or wrong answer.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:51 PM
Sage

I put raw uncooked steel cut oats in my yogurt (Costco brand - plain, nonfat greek) along with fresh mixed berries and walnuts. Been eating this for breakfast for years.

I also agree with Ecuadog about Bob's Red Mill products - excellent! They also have a gluten-free muesli for those who need to refrain from gluten. My son eats that every morning and enjoys it over other gluten free breakfast products.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I put raw uncooked steel cut oats in my yogurt (Costco brand - plain, nonfat greek) along with fresh mixed berries and walnuts. Been eating this for breakfast for years.

I also agree with Ecuadog about Bob's Red Mill products - excellent! They also have a gluten-free muesli for those who need to refrain from gluten. My son eats that every morning and enjoys it over other gluten free breakfast products.
That sounds like a dessert [not that there's anything wrong with it].

Is it 1 cup yogurt to a 1/2 cup oatmeal or even less? Your breakfast sounds a lot better then mine.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:15 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Steel cut with about 90% water and 10% milk, then some frozen fruit.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That sounds like a dessert [not that there's anything wrong with it].

Is it 1 cup yogurt to a 1/2 cup oatmeal or even less? Your breakfast sounds a lot better then mine.
I only put in 1 ounce of oats to 8 ounces of yogurt, but you certainly could add more. I use such a small amount because I try to limit the amount of grains I eat in a day. Then I add 1 ounce of nuts and 6 ounces of berries. It's a pretty hardy breakfast, but it works for me because when I do have to go into work I never know when my next meal will be and it keeps me satisfied for a long time.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:42 PM
Sage

Location: NJ, NY, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NM, CA and ID, not necessarily in that order

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Artificial sweeteners are even worse. I never use those.
They potentially lead to brain cancer, at least in rats. I doubt any neurosurgeons use them. Artificial sweetener causes cancer in rats at levels currently approved for humans, new study suggests -- ScienceDaily

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I only put in 1 ounce of oats to 8 ounces of yogurt, but you certainly could add more. I use such a small amount because I try to limit the amount of grains I eat in a day. Then I add 1 ounce of nuts and 6 ounces of berries. It's a pretty hardy breakfast, but it works for me because when I do have to go into work I never know when my next meal will be and it keeps me satisfied for a long time.
thank-you I will take your advice. If I wanted to sub the nut because that's my least favorite do you have any suggestions?
Closed Thread

Tags
oatmeal, make, add, dried, fruit