Please share a good recipe for cream of mushroom soup.

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2021, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Please share a good recipe for cream of mushroom soup.

Crockpot or stove top. Please and Thank you in advance.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,023 Times in 5,324 Posts

Hope someone shares a good recipe. Canned soups much too salty so I doctor it up with other stuff to cut the salt.
Old 08-29-2021, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

I pour cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup over some pork chops and slow cook them on low for about 8 hours.

Turns out really good. Been making this for decades.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:05 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Crockpot or stove top. Please and Thank you in advance.
If you just GOOGLE “Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipes” you’ll get enough choices!
Old 08-29-2021, 05:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
If you just GOOGLE “Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipes” you’ll get enough choices!
I did. I don't have any Sherry. I am hungry for something really yummy. I was thinking that one of our experienced cooks may have their favorite.

But Thank you Dana.

I wonder since the Nancy Lopez Restaurant has changed hands if they have kept the Mushroom Soup on the menu. Or if anyone knows how to make it like they did.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-29-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I did. I don't have any Sherry. I am hungry for something really yummy. I was thinking that one of our experienced cooks may have their favorite.

But Thank you Dana.

I wonder since the Nancy Lopez Restaurant has changed hands if they have kept the Mushroom Soup on the menu. Or if anyone knows how to make it like they did.
Gracie, nice to hear from you.

I don't have a recipe, per se, but here's what I do.

Buy several pounds on mushrooms--mixed types too, but they're expensive. Sauté a few finely chopped shallots in a stick of butter in a pot large enough to hold all the mushrooms. Make a light roux. Roughly cut the mushrooms in half or quarters. Sweat the mushrooms in the same pot with a little chicken stock until the mushrooms have shed most of their moisture. Pulverize in a food processor. Add more chicken stock, if need be for desired consistency. Add a tablespoon of sherry or cognac, optional. Bring to a boil to thicken. Add a few tablespoons of heavy cream for added richness. This benefits from preparing a day in advance.

Next time I make it, I'll write down the exact directions!

Last edited by Henryk; 09-04-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-04-2021, 01:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,023 Times in 5,324 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post

Buy several pounds on mushrooms--mixed types too, but they're expensive. Sauté a few finely chopped shallots in a stick of butter in a pot large enough to hold all the mushrooms. Make a light roux. Roughly cut the mushrooms in half or quarters. Sweat the mushrooms in the same pot with a little chicken stock until the mushrooms have shed most of their moisture. Pulverize in a food processor. Add more chicken stock, if need be for desired consistency. Add a tablespoon of sherry or cognac, optional. Bring to a boil to thicken. Add a few tablespoons of heavy cream for added richness. This benefits from preparing a day in advance.

The problem for me is all the recipes I found that sound good take a huge amount of butter or other fat.
Old 09-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Gold member

I use some butter. But the "richness" is found in grinding the mushroom finely. A blender would work well.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Many recipes to make base for cream of soup. We keep a jar in the fridge, when I need soup, add stock, and main ingredient to make the soup. Not hard, it’s 5 minutes and no sodium.

We make cream of? Then make chicken pot pie, or chicken pot pie soup.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:53 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

I keep it really simple:
In a pan I saute onions in whatever fat you prefer (1/2 butter and oil for me), add diced mushrooms and seasonings (I like salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme) until veges are soft.
In a saucepan I melt a tablespoon of fat (butter or oil), whisk in 1 tbsp of flour (more if you like it thick) and seasonings (I do same as veges blend) until slightly brown (about 5 minutes on med heat), then add 4 cups of milk (or half stock and milk), stir until it thickens then add the veges and enjoy!
Old 09-05-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post

That sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it. P.S. The plants you gifted us are still blooming by the front walk. Kindest wishes.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I keep it really simple:
In a pan I saute onions in whatever fat you prefer (1/2 butter and oil for me), add diced mushrooms and seasonings (I like salt, pepper, basil, oregano, thyme) until veges are soft.
In a saucepan I melt a tablespoon of fat (butter or oil), whisk in 1 tbsp of flour (more if you like it thick) and seasonings (I do same as veges blend) until slightly brown (about 5 minutes on med heat), then add 4 cups of milk (or half stock and milk), stir until it thickens then add the veges and enjoy!
YUM. Thank you so much. I know the folks who eat your cooking are indeed lucky.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Many recipes to make base for cream of soup. We keep a jar in the fridge, when I need soup, add stock, and main ingredient to make the soup. Not hard, it’s 5 minutes and no sodium.

We make cream of? Then make chicken pot pie, or chicken pot pie soup.
I always wonder which of you is typing. The two of you have so many skills and talents and have so many qualities I admire. You are skilled medical providers and grow and can vegetables in your other home in Kentucky. I think one of you is here in The Villages more than the other. I can't quite figure you out, but I stand in admiration. Kind wishes.
Old 09-12-2021, 06:01 PM

Ah, Gracie ~ you got my mouth ready for my favorite Mushroom Soup, a recipe shared by a friend from a long-ago food forum where everyone shared some of the best recipes. This recipe is from a long gone restaurant and takes most of the day to make.....but, as I said, it's my all time fav and well worth the time and effort. I hope you give it a try.

MUSHROOM SOUP FROM THE GOLDEN MUSHROOM RESTAURANT
(Chef Kevin Enright, Oakland Community College Culinary Studies Institute)

Chef Kevin was a chef at the Golden Mushroom restaurant and shared the recipe for their famous mushroom soup with us.

3 oz. onion cut in 1/4 inch dice (about 1 medium sized onion)
1/2 stalk celery cut in 1/4 inch dice
4 oz. clarified butter
2 or 3 oz. dried mushrooms (whatever amount you can find ~ Asian Markets carry them)
1/2 large leek, clean well and cut just the white part into a 1/4 inch dice (I used a whole leek)
3 Tbsp. flour
2 qt. chicken stock
1 bay leaf
salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste (I used black pepper)

2 oz. clarified butter
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly (I used ****ake caps only, not stems & crimini/baby bella)

1 c. half and half or heavy cream

"Sweat" the onion, celery and leak in butter until it is clear and the water is evaporated from the vegetables. Add flour and cook until it turns light tan in color and then set aside. In a large pot, warm up the chicken stock, dry mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Add the vegetable and flour mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes until thick (if soup gets too thick and a little more stock). "Sweat" the mushrooms in a small amount of clarified butter until almost dry (au sec). Strain the soup pot of all solids. Add the mushrooms to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Warm the cream and add to the soup. Adjust the seasonings. (makes 2 quarts)

Beth’s Notes:

I didn’t use clarified butter….but it’s important to use a nutmeg and grate it yourself using a microplane. I used about ¼ tsp. grated (approx. ¼ of a nutmeg) in the vegetable broth.

I used the stems/trimmings from the fresh mushrooms in the vegetable broth. It all gets strained out in the end when they have given up all their flavor.

If you want to freeze, do so before adding the cream. Then, when reheating add your cream at that time.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethk View Post
Ah, Gracie ~ you got my mouth ready for my favorite Mushroom Soup, a recipe shared by a friend from a long-ago food forum where everyone shared some of the best recipes. This recipe is from a long gone restaurant and takes most of the day to make.....but, as I said, it's my all time fav and well worth the time and effort. I hope you give it a try.

MUSHROOM SOUP FROM THE GOLDEN MUSHROOM RESTAURANT
(Chef Kevin Enright, Oakland Community College Culinary Studies Institute)

Chef Kevin was a chef at the Golden Mushroom restaurant and shared the recipe for their famous mushroom soup with us.

3 oz. onion cut in 1/4 inch dice (about 1 medium sized onion)
1/2 stalk celery cut in 1/4 inch dice
4 oz. clarified butter
2 or 3 oz. dried mushrooms (whatever amount you can find ~ Asian Markets carry them)
1/2 large leek, clean well and cut just the white part into a 1/4 inch dice (I used a whole leek)
3 Tbsp. flour
2 qt. chicken stock
1 bay leaf
salt, white pepper and nutmeg to taste (I used black pepper)

2 oz. clarified butter
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced thinly (I used ****ake caps only, not stems & crimini/baby bella)

1 c. half and half or heavy cream

"Sweat" the onion, celery and leak in butter until it is clear and the water is evaporated from the vegetables. Add flour and cook until it turns light tan in color and then set aside. In a large pot, warm up the chicken stock, dry mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Add the vegetable and flour mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40-60 minutes until thick (if soup gets too thick and a little more stock). "Sweat" the mushrooms in a small amount of clarified butter until almost dry (au sec). Strain the soup pot of all solids. Add the mushrooms to the broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Warm the cream and add to the soup. Adjust the seasonings. (makes 2 quarts)

Beth’s Notes:

I didn’t use clarified butter….but it’s important to use a nutmeg and grate it yourself using a microplane. I used about ¼ tsp. grated (approx. ¼ of a nutmeg) in the vegetable broth.

I used the stems/trimmings from the fresh mushrooms in the vegetable broth. It all gets strained out in the end when they have given up all their flavor.

If you want to freeze, do so before adding the cream. Then, when reheating add your cream at that time.
I have all those things Beth, including the nutmeg and the grater. Thank you most kindly.

Tags
crockpot, top, stove, soup, share

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.