Polish Dill Pickle Soup

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2018, 06:07 PM
Default Polish Dill Pickle Soup

Our Proud Polish neighbors were hosting our monthly neighborhood Patio Party and had mentioned they were fixing pierogis and haluski so I took it as the perfect opportunity to contribute a Crock Pot full of Polish Dill Pickle Soup. I have to say, we have a lot of BRAVE neighbors who were all willing to give it a try ~ and then they came back for seconds!

I don't have a true 'recipe', but if you make soups you know everything can be adjusted for the amount you need. But I will try to approximate what I would use for the two of us for a soup & sandwich lunch.

Slice and julienne a carrot. Peel 2 large potatoes and cut into 1/2" cubes. Add carrot & potatoes to pot (I added 1/2 t. salt) and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until tender. (Do NOT drain....)

Meanwhile, roughly grate 3 small or 2 medium dill pickles (I used the small Vlasic Kosher Dills). Mix 1/2 c. sour cream with 1/2 c. flour, adding a bit of water until smooth.

When the vegetables are tender, whisk the sour cream/flour slurry into the pot and bring to a boil. Add the grated dill pickles and about 2 - 3 Tbsp. of dill pickle juice. Adjust soup with more water if too thick and add salt to taste. As soon as the soup returns to a boil it is ready to serve.

The first trial I made of the soup was deemed a success by my husband (The Soup Lover) so I was looking for an opportunity to share it. It's interesting to me that it's a completely vegetarian option but has the taste of bacon because of the crunchy grated (salty) dill pickles.

The recipe came from a Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives episode on TV. The restaurant was The Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramic, Michigan. You can see a video of the soup being made by going to foodnetwork.com and search for "Dill Pickle Soup".
Old 03-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Gold member

I’m going to have to try that. When I was a kid—ten years old, maybe—my aunt made something like this. I thought she was a little nuts, which she was(!), but the soup was great.
Closed Thread

Tags
soup, dill, polish, pickle, 1/2

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.