Pork chops with cream gravy? Yes or no?

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Did you like porkchops in cream gravy EVER? Did you, do you eat steak with Bernaise sauce, EVER?
Can’t do pork chops but love steak with Bernaise ssause
Old 10-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Sage

When I was growing up my mother and father occasionally entertained and for a special dinner my mom would make timbales. Timbale irons of different shapes were dipped into batter and then deep fried. These formed shells into which went creamed chicken and creamed peas. So delicious.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
The problem with pork chops is that nowadays they are practially fat free, hence tough and tasteless. Didn’t used to be
Hurray for you. Pork raised these days has so little fat, it’s tough to make an old-fashioned flavorful pork gravy.

Speaking of gravy, my Polish grandmother made the BEST. Her secret ingredient is what she called “burned sugar.” She carmelized sugar until very dark, added a bit of water after it cooled, and kept it on the pantry shelf. Use sparingly, little by little until you get the taste and color your want. Homemade Gravy Master!
Old 10-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
One of our favorite things. We find porkchops that are full of taste. The trick is to fry them quickly, being sure that no pink remains. (Trichasomething) Over cooking them at high heat makes them tough.

Here is something that we eat occasionally that tastes very nice. (Notice I didn't say yummy? GPSMA?) Sautee a pound of hamburger and half a minced onion until done, no red, add a heaping tablespoon of flour and brown, then add about a half a cup of milk (maybe more) and salt and lots of pepper. Serve over toast or biscuits with a vegetable and a salad. Comfort food. Anybody else like it?
Love that. My mother had to feed seven kids on a small budget. She usually served it over mashed potatoes or broad egg noodles. She called it goulash.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Prefer pork chops grilled, or baked in apple cyder with chopped veg.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Braised meat of any sort is a treat. Pork chops, seasoned long and slow with cream gravy. It does not get better. Both Grandmas also made the best croquettes from any piece of roast that was left over topped with some version of a sauce. What the hell folks, if you moved to The Villages, time is short and so are the pleasures infrequent.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:29 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Dad was Southern. Mom was German. Dad won most things at home but the gravy on everything never stood a chance around Mom. So, rarely had sauces or gravies on meats except on turkey and pot roast. Never missed it. Still don’t.

I do remember an argument they had about white gravy on fried chicken. Mom said no. If he wanted sauces on his meat, he should have married a French woman. Never heard Dad say a thing about gravy again.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-09-2018, 11:36 AM

Yes definitely. All in moderation.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:50 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Dad was Southern. Mom was German. Dad won most things at home but the gravy on everything never stood a chance around Mom. So, rarely had sauces or gravies on meats except on turkey and pot roast. Never missed it. Still don’t.

I do remember an argument they had about white gravy on fried chicken. Mom said no. If he wanted sauces on his meat, he should have married a French woman. Never heard Dad say a thing about gravy again.
LOL. Great story. You reminded me of one: "I met an acquaintance a couple of months after my father's wake. She said, "Oh your mom is so funny." "How so?", I asked.

She replied: "While talking to your mom I said, "I'm so sorry, I know how much you are going to miss John."

And without missing a beat mom replied: "Yeah, he made such good gravy."

(True story)

Tags
gravy, chops, cream, pork

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.