Pressure Cooker

Closed Thread
Old 07-08-2017, 05:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Pressure Cooker

Seems like pressure cookers are the latest and greatest? Do you have one and how often do you use it?
Old 07-08-2017, 06:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

I think you are referring to electric, programmable, pressure cookers such as the Instapot. We use ours twice a week. Once for pressure steaming hard boiled eggs. That is how they are cooked commercially, the steam makes it so they peel like no other hard boiled egg.

We often use it to cook chicken peas for hummus as well.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Gold member
Default You do not say if you are planing on buying one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
Seems like pressure cookers are the latest and greatest? Do you have one and how often do you use it?
I use mine about once or twice a month. Far more often in the cooler months to make soups.

First of all, I would not buy a 4 qt model because-IF YOU READ THE DIRECTIONS-they say do not fill more than half full.
So obviously a 4 qt is only 2 qt usable.

A stainless steel model is about twice the price of an aluminum one but it is far easier to clean and depending on what your read you may not want to eat the aluminum that does desolve into your food.

I would buy a brand name as you will have it a long time and you will need parts-gaskets-and I've broken handles.

If, you have an electric stove, you want to get one with a flat bottom so as to insure better heat transfer and you want one that will fit your burner-you do not want a pot that is too small to cover the entire red hot area.

You need to follow instructions. It cooks roughly 3x faster than normal and you are cooking in a closed pot; so you are not as aware of what is happening.

Far as the electric wiz bang ones, I have no experience with them. I'm sure you can find reviews on them via the internet. I don't think they are made large enough to make large quantities ie canning. I often make corned beef in a pressure cooker. The meat moves as it cooks. I would not do it in less than a 9qt pressure cooker. I have done two at once in a 9 qt but that is really pushing it. I've never blown mine but it is an awful and dangerous mess. Two corn beefs in a 9 qt pressure cooker puts the meat too close to the vent pipe for my view.

As to latest and greatest? I have a large presto canning pressure cooker that belonged to my grandmother. I still have the cookbook that came with it and it is dated 1945. You can still get parts for it
Old 07-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We have an Instapot at one domicile and a Nesco at the other. They are both electric and programmable. Both also can act as a steamer or rice cooker or slow cooker, and have a browning function so that you don't have to use a separate pan to brown things. I love both of them. They are quiet, cooler, and faster than the top-of-the-stove we were given as a wedding present and used up until two years ago (replacing many parts along the way). There is no danger of them blowing their lids off. And you don't have to fiddle around with the stove burners getting the pressure cooker regulated to three "hisses" per minute, or however many it was; I forget now.

We're not big rice people, but in reviews, many people have stated that they think their Instapot rice setting does a better job than their rice cooker.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts
Default Q

Have a electronic pressure cooker, actually 3. One 2, 4, and 8. Use at least 3 times a week. All came from QVC. I looked at an instapot but does not have the same properties as a true pressure cooker. Dinner in less than 45 minutes, sauce that would take all day, takes an hour. Grew up with the old rattler on a stove top, electronic has come a long way.

Got home last night had nothing thawed, put in frozen chicken, fresh tomatoes, and pasta. Dinner done in 20 minutes. Mine are over 4 years old and still going strong.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Gold member

I have the digital cuisinart & I really like it. May not use often but always like the results of whatever I make. Beef stew, pot roast are great. Often will do butternut squash and bag it up for the freezer. A batch of fresh beets are so good.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:28 PM
Veteran member

There is a sale going on right now on Amazon where you can get the Instantpots for a deep discount, $89 I believe. I have one and like that you can saute in them then pressure cook or slow cook in the same pot. There are other functions too, up to 7. There is some learning to be done on how to use all the buttons and the functions. Just keep your instruction book handy.
I don't use it too much but haven't regretted buying it.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I have the good old fashion non electric pot. I use it once or twice a week. Corn cooked in it is delicious. I also make one pot meals.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-12-2017, 06:07 PM
Platinum member
Default Cheaper at wally world

Quote:
Originally Posted by borjo View Post
There is a sale going on right now on Amazon where you can get the Instantpots for a deep discount, $89 I believe. I have one and like that you can saute in them then pressure cook or slow cook in the same pot. There are other functions too, up to 7. There is some learning to be done on how to use all the buttons and the functions. Just keep your instruction book handy.
I don't use it too much but haven't regretted buying it.
Love mine also, both of them.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:13 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Not me.............seems like they skipped a generation.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:00 AM

I have a Cuisinart electric and a Mirro stovetop cookers. I use the stovetop one mostly for canning and the electric one at least twice a week. Makes the best corned beef and cabbage I ever had. Baked beans in an hour or so. Can't imagine not having one.

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCasey View Post
I have a Cuisinart electric and a Mirro stovetop cookers. I use the stovetop one mostly for canning and the electric one at least twice a week. Makes the best corned beef and cabbage I ever had. Baked beans in an hour or so. Can't imagine not having one.
Could you please post your recipe for the corned beef & cabbage?

Tags
pressure, cooker, latest, greatest, cookers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.