Recipes from the past

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts
Default Recipes from the past

Anybody cook like this anymore? My parents did not but some of my friends’ parents did.

Features Archives - Hawaii Tribune-Herald

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-19-2018, 02:53 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Sure, still make casseroles. Remember the tuna noodle casserole? And I also still make the scallop potato, ham and broccoli casserole and serve with baked beans done in a bean pot from scratch. I used to do the beans in the oven of a wood stove where they got that great smoky wood flavor.

My dad did them in a "bean hole" dug in the beach sand. Dig a big hole, build a big fire using hard wood in the hole and when it burns down to coals and small flames put the bean pot in wrapped in foil and cover it all with the sand and leave there all day. Dig it up at supper time and the beans are done perfect.

And of course macaroni and cheese covered with fresh tomato slices and bread crumbs.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Sure, still make casseroles. Remember the tuna noodle casserole? And I also still make the scallop potato, ham and broccoli casserole and serve with baked beans done in a bean pot from scratch. I used to do the beans in the oven of a wood stove where they got that great smoky wood flavor.

My dad did them in a "bean hole" dug in the beach sand. Dig a big hole, build a big fire using hard wood in the hole and when it burns down to coals and small flames put the bean pot in wrapped in foil and cover it all with the sand and leave there all day. Dig it up at supper time and the beans are done perfect.

And of course macaroni and cheese covered with fresh tomato slices and bread crumbs.
Yum! This made my mouth water and I had lunch less than an hour ago!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Sage

I dont think casseroles figured so much in family dinners and definitely not for company. All the women had recipes for them but I think they were mostly made for church picnics and pot lucks and to carry to someone's house where there had been a death or serious illness
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

Tags
parents, friends’, anymore, past, cook

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.