Red Cabbage

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Red Cabbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
Here in Ohio we cannot see anyone wed, buried, have a first Communion, rally, horseshoe throw or bachelorette party without eating Johnny Marzetti cassarole, before during or later.

I will give you my recipe if you give me yours.

P.S. It is NOT Italian and certainly not German and has a bunch of brown sugar in it.
I'm lurking and waiting with my mouth watering.... Johnny Marzetti? We moved away from Ohio when I was in high school, but I still remember Johnny Marzetti day in the cafetieria! I love Johnny Marzetti! YUM! 040 040 040
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Johnny Marzetti is always good and each Ohio home fixes it in a slightly different way. Here is how I fix it, but I would love to hear other recipes for it.

Brown a pound or so of ground beef with a goodly amount of chopped onion.
Add either a can of tomato sauce or a can of tomatoes.
Add about a half cup of brown sugar packed, a dash or two of Worcestershire sauce, a teaspoon of prepared mustard and about a tablespoon of vinegar. Cook until well blended, ten or so minutes. Salt and pepper wouldn't hurt.

Meanwhile cook some noodles or macaroni. (1/2 a regular package) Drain and add to the red sauce, At this time you can continue in the skillet or dump into a casserole dish.
Top with several slices of American cheese, enough to cover the whole thing and a generous amount of Parmesan cheese. You can serve it from the skillet or reheat the casserole if you make it ahead of time. A salad and some good bread and you are in Ohio again.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

The Marzetti recipe sounds very close to what I remember as a little girl in Kansas and what my mom called Goulash. YUM...what wonderful memories!

Gracie...when I make sloppy joes, I always add a bit of vinegar and sugar plus a pinch of allspice...so good and with a Swedish twist!
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM
Platinum member

Gracie, THANK YOU!
I will try your recipe as soon as the weather gets cold again! (It's not really a hot weather dish, is it?)
THANK YOU! YUM! :#1:
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.