Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2021, 07:04 AM

Very soon we will have to substitute ground beef with Cat Food
Old 10-15-2021, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,586 Times in 1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I'm from Minnesota....years ago when crockpots 1st came out a woman told me about a dish (now my memory might fail a bit) that one could make in it. It had green beans, hamburger (that had already been fried/crumbled) then topped with mashed potatoes. I don't recall if then tomato sauce was poured over it or if creamed soup of some type OR if it had a name (but slop doesn't come to mind). We had it maybe once or twice then it was history. Kiddos were very young and at a finicky stage (guess the parents were too) but this sounds somewhat similar to what the OP is talking about.
Substitute tater tots instead of the mashed potatoes on top and you have that world-renowned Minnesota favorite...TATER TOT HOT DISH!!!
Old 10-15-2021, 07:18 AM

It sounds similar to Shepard’s Pie
Old 10-15-2021, 07:46 AM

Thank you! I read the recipe for the Chinese Pie and it is definitely something I will try!
Old 10-15-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I'm from Minnesota....years ago when crockpots 1st came out a woman told me about a dish (now my memory might fail a bit) that one could make in it. It had green beans, hamburger (that had already been fried/crumbled) then topped with mashed potatoes. I don't recall if then tomato sauce was poured over it or if creamed soup of some type OR if it had a name (but slop doesn't come to mind). We had it maybe once or twice then it was history. Kiddos were very young and at a finicky stage (guess the parents were too) but this sounds somewhat similar to what the OP is talking about.
This green bean (French style only) dish has been served once a month or so in our family for 60 years, sans crock pot. Mashed potatoes, green beans, then hamburger gravy on top. Called SOS when boys were little, real name from mother is $hit on $hingle, her version, I know there are others.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:55 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
A woman who comes to the house rather often was discussing her Detriot, MI area family eating slop when she was growing up.

It had fried beef and corn on bottom with onions and other stuff all cooked.

Then mashed potatoes on the top and then cooked in a casserole like baking pan in the oven. With tomato sauce over the top.

Never heard of this while living in Wisconsin, Minnesota nor in Illinois. Nor when a teen in Reno, Nevada where people came from all over to work for warehouses and gambling related businesses.
Ever hear of Scrapple that’s equal to SLOP but some think it’s a delicacy along wit SPAM.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:17 AM

It’s called leftovers……
Old 10-15-2021, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Ever hear of Scrapple that’s equal to SLOP but some think it’s a delicacy along wit SPAM.
Scrapple - Wikipedia.

I have heard of Scrapple.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling lady View Post
Thank you! I read the recipe for the Chinese Pie and it is definitely something I will try!
Pate Chinois (Quebec Style Shepherd's Pie ) • Curious Cuisiniere

There sure are a lot of versions of this.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default Sos

Quote:
Originally Posted by charron View Post
This green bean (French style only) dish has been served once a month or so in our family for 60 years, sans crock pot. Mashed potatoes, green beans, then hamburger gravy on top. Called SOS when boys were little, real name from mother is $hit on $hingle, her version, I know there are others.
SOS from my navy days was ground beef with gravy on toast. I loved it because it reminded me of home where my mom made creamed chipped beef on toast when I was little. Back then not everyone could afford quails eggs and caviar for breakfast. Come to think of it, I still can't.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:38 PM

Quote:
A woman who comes to the house rather often was discussing her Detriot, MI area family eating slop when she was growing up.

Then mashed potatoes on the top and then cooked in a casserole like baking pan in the oven. With tomato sauce over the top.

Never heard of this while living in Wisconsin, Minnesota nor in Illinois. Nor when a teen in Reno, Nevada where people came from all over to work for warehouses and gambling related businesses.
I was born in Detroit. It is like Shepard's Pie. We just call it Stuff.....
Old 10-15-2021, 02:50 PM

I’m from Detroit and never heard of this. Could be a modification of shepherds pie.
Old 10-15-2021, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Sounds like Shephard's Pie!
Old 10-15-2021, 04:44 PM

Shepherd's pie is really good. I've made it from time to time and I wouldn't call it slop. My mother never made it, so I didn't grow up on it, but I think it's good. I would never ever consider putting tomato sauce on it, though. That would make I think slop.
Closed Thread

Tags
slop, minnesota, wisconsin, living, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.