So, What Is Sous Vide Cookin Anyway?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2018, 04:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
thank-you everyone--i watched a show on seasoning. Sous Vide SEASONING EXPERIMENT - Should you SALT BEFORE OR AFTER Sous Vide? - YouTube The guy has his own little test kitchen going on.
He doesn't grill, he uses a propane torch.

You can do veggies too. Someone said frozen meat too. I guess the vacuum seal makes that safe.

What about less expensive cuts of meat?

What about the frozen salmon that comes in it's own seal package?
Yes you can use a sealed package, however if there is no seasoning you lose they benefit of it infusing in the food. But in a pinch I have thrown in a frozen salmon and then put on blackened seasoning on it when I seared it. I have had dinner party for 12 starting it in the morning and spent 10 minutes searing and plating. A steak cooked perfectly every time
Old 04-28-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage

what to buy?

Have you ever tried wirecutter for reviews?
The Best Sous Vide Machine and Gear: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company
Old 04-28-2018, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

This has been very educational. I am going to see what Tom buys.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
This has been very educational. I am going to see what Tom buys.
I wouldn't be a bit surprised if my younger son orders 1 tonight. My older son, Tom jr. and I have been nick-named "Look and Wait." sooooooooo
Old 04-28-2018, 07:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Yes you can use a sealed package, however if there is no seasoning you lose they benefit of it infusing in the food. But in a pinch I have thrown in a frozen salmon and then put on blackened seasoning on it when I seared it. I have had dinner party for 12 starting it in the morning and spent 10 minutes searing and plating. A steak cooked perfectly every time
We’ve got a Foodsaver vacuum system, so we can open the bag, add seasonings, and seal it up again before putting it in the bath. I tried some boneless short ribs and the suggestion was to let them go 48-72 hours. I took them out at 48 and they were very good with a Guinness glaze. But they probably would have been better at 72 hours. I set the water bath in the garage to avoid taking up counter space. Important to use a cover to reduce water loss and help the heater keep the temp up.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Je n'est sais pas. Q'est ce c'est???? J'adore la Dutch oven a moi. Just a pot with a tight fitting lid that can go in the oven.........and transforms meats into luscious tenderness.
Ah, Je pense que tu as fait une petite erreur. Sacre Bleu! Je ne sais pas.

Bonne journée!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:07 AM
Sage

Quote:
what to buy?

Have you ever tried wirecutter for reviews?
The Best Sous Vide Machine and Gear: Reviews by Wirecutter | A New York Times Company
I have generally been pleased with wirecutter's recommendations. Of course, I never bought their remommended brand and a different brand of the same item for comparison sake. But I've always liked what I've bought based on their recommendations.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post

Bonne journée!
I am delighted C, it was just a small error. It has been sixty years since my French teacher frowned at me when I said Je suis enceinte instead of Je suis enchante.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:

Bonne journée!
Sacre Bleu! means damn it---i say it to be silly and impersonate someone from france but i never knew what it meant--they say that in the movies or cartoons
Old 04-29-2018, 07:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Sacre Bleu! means damn it---i say it to be silly and impersonate someone from france but i never knew what it meant--they say that in the movies or cartoons
OMG. I never knew CFrance cussed. I am going to see about having Crosby removed and have him come to live with us.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
OMG. I never knew CFrance cussed. I am going to see about having Crosby removed and have him come to live with us.
Horreurs! (It's better than some others...)
je suis vraiment désolée.

(But he very much loooooves cats!)
Old 04-29-2018, 08:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
I am delighted C, it was just a small error. It has been sixty years since my French teacher frowned at me when I said Je suis enceinte instead of Je suis enchante.
And my husband was told to stop the waitress Je suis plein for I'm full, because it's slang for I'm pregnant.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:04 AM
Sage

Back on topic, The Splendid Table podcast mentioned all sorts of food beside meat that the test team is experimenting with via sous vide. I'd love to know what else you can cook in it. I'm watching Sous Vide Everything now but haven't gotten past the beef dry aging thing.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Back on topic, The Splendid Table podcast mentioned all sorts of food beside meat that the test team is experimenting with via sous vide. I'd love to know what else you can cook in it. I'm watching Sous Vide Everything now but haven't gotten past the beef dry aging thing.
How about making your own cheese?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:49 AM

I love my sous vide. Bought it on line for $59.00. Sams and Target sell it. I think Walmart has them.
Some things I have cooked.
“Starbucks egg bites”. Need 12 4oz canning jars. Thoroughly blend a dozen eggs with equal ucottage cheese.
Spray jars with non stick, place cooked bacon and cheese in jars. Pour egg mixture into jars. Seal and sous vide 35min. @ 165°. Creamy good. Open jars Invert food onto plate.
Lasts a week in fridge or long time in freezer. Microwave 30 sec. to reheat. Great for house guests.
Steak-love it rare. May season before or after. Vacuum pack and set sous vide for desired done ness. I use 131°s for 2 hours. Finish a minute or two in iron pan. Steak is edge to edge rare. No grey gradient towards center before rare inner strip like conventional cooking. Steaks seen in TV commercials are done this way-obvious.
Asparagus cooks perfect every time. Not soggy and not overly hard.
Ribs are a min 24 hour cook. Cover water with ping pong balls to prevent evaporation. Finish in a grill for a couple minutes. May also torch.
Best hamburger I have ever had was from sous vide. Finished by a quick char on ripping hot iron pan.
My brother sous vides chicken and finishes with torch.
So easy. Had a dinner party, veggies, meats were in water when guests arrived. Since food is held at exact temperature, there was no rush for dinner and worry about timing. Chared steaks one to two minutes, opened bags and poured in serving dishes. Veggies were buttered pre sous vide.
So easy, I was laughing.
Food done at same time. One cast iron fry pan to wash. Everyone’s steak was done exactly to their preference.
Can cook in old igloo cooler, Rubbermaid container or large pot.
Lots of recipes on the internet. Food comes out perfect.
Closed Thread

Tags
vide, sous, set, cooking, bag

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.