Sous Vide? Anybody else? (I’m a convert.)

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Sous Vide? Anybody else? (I’m a convert.)

For a long time, Mr. Boomer had been telling me we should try sous vide.

But, I kept saying, “BLECH!. Why would we want to float sealed-up hunks of meat around in water while we pretend it is cooking. Sounds, to me, like a recipe for food poisoning. And, besides, it probably comes out looking weird.”

Well, to illustrate just how far my influence sometimes reaches, a few weeks ago, one of those sous vide contraptions appeared on our doorstep. Seems like ATK had an irresistible deal.

So far, it has been beef tenderloin, salmon, chicken, and on New Year’s Day, the best pork tenderloin ever. . .

We got the pork tenderloin at a butcher shop. (I don’t know why those things always come packed in twos — even at that butcher shop.)

Anyway, the butcher trimmed off that creepy silverskin — or whatever it’s called. We bought the pair, froze one, and off to sous vide went the other.

Oh my! It was the best pork tenderloin ever. Too often pork is tough — perhaps having easily succumbed to overcooking by elder-boomers who grew up being warned about the risk of trichinosis. . .

And pork tenderloin is so lean, that it can often cross over into overcooking even when you don’t mean for that to happen.

This pork tenderloin was so tender, it could be easily cut with a fork. It had the perfect amount of pink inside and had been made pretty with a searing in the cast iron skillet.

We found a recipe for a sauce — with a couple of mustards, tarragon, cream, the drippings from the searing in olive oil, and some other stuff I can’t remember right now. (We used half-and-half instead of cream. That’s wicked enough. But you don’t need much of this sauce to put the finishing touch on the perfectly cooked pork tenderloin.)

Anyway, I am now a convert to sous vide. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I should never have mocked this cooking method.

But now, we are in a quandary. If we serve pork tenderloin to company, will our fellow elder-boomers think we are trying to kill them with trichinosis when they see pink pork?

Has anyone else here used sous vide?

Boomer

PS: I just noticed a delivery of a vacuum sealer. Looks like we are really getting into this. That’s OK. Sometimes, Mr. Boomer is absolutely right.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-05-2022 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 01-05-2022, 11:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

I have even used my Anova in an ice-chest to warm a holiday ham.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
For a long time, Mr. Boomer had been telling me we should try sous vide.

But, I kept saying, “BLECH!. Why would we want to float sealed-up hunks of meat around in water while we pretend it is cooking. Sounds, to me, like a recipe for food poisoning. And, besides, it probably comes out looking weird.”

Well, to illustrate just how far my influence sometimes reaches, a few weeks ago, one of those sous vide contraptions appeared on our doorstep. Seems like ATK had an irresistible deal.

So far, it has been beef tenderloin, salmon, chicken, and on New Year’s Day, the best pork tenderloin ever. . .

We got the pork tenderloin at a butcher shop. (I don’t know why those things always come packed in twos — even at that butcher shop.)

Anyway, the butcher trimmed off that creepy silverskin — or whatever it’s called. We bought the pair, froze one, and off to sous vide went the other.

Oh my! It was the best pork tenderloin ever. Too often pork is tough — perhaps having easily succumbed to overcooking by elder-boomers who grew up being warned about the risk of trichinosis. . .

And pork tenderloin is so lean, that it can often cross over into overcooking even when you don’t mean for that to happen.

This pork tenderloin was so tender, it could be easily cut with a fork. It had the perfect amount of pink inside and had been made pretty with a searing in the cast iron skillet.

We found a recipe for a sauce — with a couple of mustards, tarragon, cream, the drippings from the searing in olive oil, and some other stuff I can’t remember right now. (We used half-and-half instead of cream. That’s wicked enough. But you don’t need much of this sauce to put the finishing touch on the perfectly cooked pork tenderloin.)

Anyway, I am now a convert to sous vide. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I should never have mocked this cooking method.

But now, we are in a quandary. If we serve pork tenderloin to company, will our fellow elder-boomers think we are trying to kill them with trichinosis when they see pink pork?

Has anyone else here used sous vide?

Boomer

PS: I just noticed a delivery of a vacuum sealer. Looks like we are really getting into this. That’s OK. Sometimes, Mr. Boomer is absolutely right.
Yup. Bought both last year (sous vide and vacuum sealer). Love thick cut steaks they always turn out great. Put on very hot charcoal fire to finish. Same with all other meats and fish.
Old 01-05-2022, 12:36 PM

Just when I am at the point of deciding (again) that TOTV is a waste of what little brain power I have left, a fascinating post comes along! Thanks for this info.

Google, here I come.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:33 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Just when I am at the point of deciding (again) that TOTV is a waste of what little brain power I have left, a fascinating post comes along! Thanks for this info.

Google, here I come.
You are very welcome.

Hey, Ecuadog, Mr. Boomer tried to tell me about that beer cooler thing a long time ago. But (sigh) I would not listen. There is a saying, “Eternity is two people and a ham,” but next Christmas — or Easter, maybe…..

Boomer
Old 01-05-2022, 02:14 PM

I never heard of such nonsense. So, I read up on it on the internet without leaving my recliner and just ordered an Anova from Amazon. Thanks for the tip.
Now all I have to do is wait for a financial windfall or another stimulus package and I can buy a steak.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Had Sous Vide duck just before Christmas at a local hostelry, and was surprised how nice it was.
Can't see wife getting one however as, in her eyes, any meat less underdone than cremated, is classed as still living!
Have to eat out if I need pink
Old 01-05-2022, 02:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,177 Times in 4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Sometimes, Mr. Boomer is absolutely right.
First of all, I'd delete this part immediately... Nothing good can come of it.

I told "The Boss" she was right about something 3 times in 3 days. The 4th time, I said "I don't disagree I'd say you were right, but your head might explode!"...

You gotta' dole those out carefully...

That said, I've been wanting to try it but I've faced resistance.

Maybe I'll just have one delivered, so I can get one of those "You're right" thingies...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-05-2022, 02:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,465 Times in 545 Posts

Your post piqued my interest, and I, too, was skeptical.I did some reading on this subject and I’d like to try it. Don’t know if I want to invest in all the equipment yet, and my husband likes grilling. Still mulling this over.

Thanks for the nice post!
Old 01-05-2022, 03:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
... my husband likes grilling. ...
Sous vide is great for grilling. You bring your steaks up to the desired temperature. Then, when you're ready to grill, just sear them over high heat. Constistently, just as you like them.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:43 PM

I've been using a sous vide for 3 or 4 years.
I consider it one of my secret weapons.
Some of the most juicy and tender meat ever.
Chicken breasts melt in your mouth rather than tasting like shoe leather.
I like to do baby back ribs for about 36 hours and then carefully take them out to finish on the smoker or grill.
Did a whole brisket for 48 hours which came out amazing.
This Christmas it was an 8 pound prime rib roast.

I think I'm making myself hungry.
Old 01-05-2022, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our son sent us a commercial sous vide over 9 years ago. Used in high end restaurants for years. We have used it couple time a week since the day I unboxed it. Steak mid rare is always perfect. Eggs Benedict for 12 without ever leaving the conversation is priceless.

2 years ago we received a new commercial with temp increments of .2. Makes it even more precise. Mine comes with the commercial bath, one for smaller items, and a large for cooking for a crowd. Everything breaks down and stores in the large bath.

Still using the first one, along with the new. We had steak and lobster for 8 on NYE, and except for the 15 minute prep, and the minute to high sear steak with a torch, then plate everyone at once. I got to spent the entire evening with our company.

Not much has changed in the last 9 years, my recipes came from restaurants, for years, but now online and cookbooks help those who are new to cooking sous vide welcome to the best way to cooking
Old 01-05-2022, 07:39 PM
Veteran member

I've been using my Anova sous vide for 3 years now, and just did a sirloin tip roast that I finished tonight. I put it in for 26hr at 130º. Removed it from the Anova and placed in ice water bath for 20 minutes. Removed from bag and put in fridge uncovered for 1.5 hrs to dry surface. Coated with grapeseed oil and sprinkled with Kinders "The Blend", and browned over the grills infrared burner. I sliced it thin with my slicer. You don't have to refrigerate it after removing from bath, but it makes it a lot easier to slice like shaved steak. Did the same a couple of weeks ago with a cheap bottom round roast with the same results.....tender, moist and flavorful meat that rivals much more expensive cuts. So far my favorite has been a tri tip, and chicken breast is phenomenal. Also works great for more expensive cuts as it cooks the meat from edge to edge to exactly the degree of doneness you like, and since it's an already tender cut, 1 to 4 hours is all that's needed. Now, 26 hours sounds like a lot of work, but all your doing is setting the temp and time, and coming back to it 26 hours later. There are recipes for vegetables, ice cream, even creme brulee. Try sous vide. You'll like it
Old 01-05-2022, 08:00 PM

I use my sous vide almost weekly. I love a perfect medium rare ribeye. I usually do my sear on a charcoal chimney. It only takes about 3 minutes total. I sous vide a lamb shank for 36 hours and made a Thai dish with it. It fell off of the bone. Made carnitas with a pork butt, which also cooked for 36 hours. Did frozen shrimp a couple of weeks ago and they came out firm and delicious.

When I first got my sous vide, I would keep it in my basement. Since, I use it so much now, it has a spot in my laundry room upstairs. This is my go to, when needing some guidance on time and temp.
Sous Vide Times and Temperatures
Old 01-05-2022, 08:08 PM
Soaring Parsley

Good evening, fellow carnivores,

Mr. Boomer looked at America’s Test Kirchen reviews and then ordered their second place recommendation for 2021, the Yedi Infinity. (I did not spell that wrong. It is not Yeti.) It was on a little bit of a sale so it was a little less than a hundred dollars.

ATK’s first recommendation was the Breville Joule Polycarbonate. That one was twice the price of the Yedi.

I think the Anova is the popular one that Alton Brown uses.

The vacuum sealer arrived today. Until now he has been using Ziploc freezer bags, made of whatever kind of plastic that does not have whatever that stuff is it should not have.

We are putting this gadget through its hardest test so far, right now. There is a small rump roast immersed in its spa where it will be for about 24 hours. Rump roasts can be tough and dry. We will know tomorrow night how this one works out.

I am going to show Mr. Boomer this thread. He will like it.

Thanks.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-05-2022 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Correcting spellcheck that had corrected me
Closed Thread

Tags
pork, tenderloin, vide, sous, butcher

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.