Sous Vide? Anybody else? (I’m a convert.)

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2022, 05:06 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Temp for my unit Rare is 121.4, Mid-rare is 129.2.
We only have 2 friends who like medium, so cast iron in oven to broil, 4 minutes gets you to medium.
If you want something more than medium you don’t get invited to our house.
Thank you for that suggestion. I'll try it next time I have folks over who request medium+.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:09 PM

I need to try more options with our sous vide! Thanks for the ATK book info.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:55 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,137 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannon View Post
While I agree with you that dangerous chemicals in our foods are a serious concern, the use of high quality plastic bags that do not contain BPA or other dangerous chemicals along with the low(er) temperatures used, makes sous vide a safe cooking practice.
Good to know!
Old 01-06-2022, 07:52 PM

I had never heard of this. Does anyone know of a restaurant around The Villages that uses this method of cooking?
Old 01-06-2022, 08:51 PM
Default Yup!

I refuse to order steak in any restaurant..as I can make it MUCH better ( and MUCH less expensive!) in my Joule Sous Vide!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
For a long time, Mr. Boomer had been telling me we should try sous vide.

But, I kept saying, “BLECH!. Why would we want to float sealed-up hunks of meat around in water while we pretend it is cooking. Sounds, to me, like a recipe for food poisoning. And, besides, it probably comes out looking weird.”

Well, to illustrate just how far my influence sometimes reaches, a few weeks ago, one of those sous vide contraptions appeared on our doorstep. Seems like ATK had an irresistible deal.

So far, it has been beef tenderloin, salmon, chicken, and on New Year’s Day, the best pork tenderloin ever. . .

We got the pork tenderloin at a butcher shop. (I don’t know why those things always come packed in twos — even at that butcher shop.)

Anyway, the butcher trimmed off that creepy silverskin — or whatever it’s called. We bought the pair, froze one, and off to sous vide went the other.

Oh my! It was the best pork tenderloin ever. Too often pork is tough — perhaps having easily succumbed to overcooking by elder-boomers who grew up being warned about the risk of trichinosis. . .

And pork tenderloin is so lean, that it can often cross over into overcooking even when you don’t mean for that to happen.

This pork tenderloin was so tender, it could be easily cut with a fork. It had the perfect amount of pink inside and had been made pretty with a searing in the cast iron skillet.

We found a recipe for a sauce — with a couple of mustards, tarragon, cream, the drippings from the searing in olive oil, and some other stuff I can’t remember right now. (We used half-and-half instead of cream. That’s wicked enough. But you don’t need much of this sauce to put the finishing touch on the perfectly cooked pork tenderloin.)

Anyway, I am now a convert to sous vide. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I should never have mocked this cooking method.

But now, we are in a quandary. If we serve pork tenderloin to company, will our fellow elder-boomers think we are trying to kill them with trichinosis when they see pink pork?

Has anyone else here used sous vide?

Boomer

PS: I just noticed a delivery of a vacuum sealer. Looks like we are really getting into this. That’s OK. Sometimes, Mr. Boomer is absolutely right.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:56 PM
Default Restaurant

It is my understanding that almost all restaurants use Sous vide for their steaks..how else would they be able to plate them so quickly! Sous Vide to rare, sear to requested temperature!

QUOTE=ManyTrees;2047088]I had never heard of this. Does anyone know of a restaurant around The Villages that uses this method of cooking?[/QUOTE]
Old 01-06-2022, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyTrees View Post
I had never heard of this. Does anyone know of a restaurant around The Villages that uses this method of cooking?
Any restaurant that serves eggs Benedict. Eggs and Benedict can be held perfectly done all day long, once it comes to temp. Any restaurant that serves steak, prime rib will have a sous vide. . In the 70s restaurant used to print prepared in sous vide. It’s so common restaurants no longer mention next to a dish

Last edited by asianthree; 01-06-2022 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:47 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Our first sous vide failure. . .

Hello, my name is Boomer. I am a carnivore.

I need advice.

The rump roast did not turn out like we had hoped.

It was in for 24 hours. It came out nicely pink, with a decent flavor — which was due to the seasoning before it went in.

But it was a little chewy — not awful — but not great. And we were doing so well with all the other things we have tried since we got into this very recently.

The rump roast has been sliced very thin and will be OK, warmed, and topped with a mix of sour cream and creamy horseradish, or in a sandwich with something else.

But what did we do wrong?

It was seared first. That was our first time searing first instead of after.

Stayed in for 24 hours. Was that not long enough?

Did we expect too much of a rump roast?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-07-2022 at 12:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:

I need advice.

It was in for 24 hours. It came out nicely pink, with a decent flavor — which was due to the seasoning before it went in.

But it was a little chewy — not awful — but not great. And we were doing so well with all the other things we have tried since we got into this very recently.

The rump roast has been sliced very thin and will be OK, warmed, and topped with a mix of sour cream and creamy horseradish, or in a sandwich with something else.

Boomer
Post reported!
Negative comment.
..............and the thread was doing so well!!
Old 01-07-2022, 05:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Just asking for a friend who is a vegan.
He was wondering if the water in the tank was warm enough to soften his nuts.
Also, would he have to leave them in overnight?
Old 01-07-2022, 07:23 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Good morning, Two Bills,

You Brits get up too early in the morning. I can’t even begin to think of a snappy comeback to your vegan friend’s problem. And, yes, we did have a “negative” sous vide experience yesterday. And that is the first negative comment in this thread so I understand why you felt you had to report it.

I think I will go back to sleep now. But first, I must do something terribly tacky — by quoting my own post. (I read somewhere a long time ago that it is ill-mannered to quote oneself on a forum.)

But (sigh) I must now commit this faux pas by repeating the desperate question I asked late last night in post #52 because I am so angst-ridden over my rump (roast) and I don’t want my question to be overlooked because I really want some help.

Boomer

Here it goes — again:

Quote:

I need advice.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-07-2022 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 03:51 PM

My son introduced me to the sous vide. Serve your meat any way you like it. Pork No Longer needs to be cooked til it’s DEAD!
Old 01-08-2022, 02:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:

I need advice.

Boomer
Salt may have been your down fall for a tough rump. I don’t sear any meat before bath, you can, but have never been happy with the results.

18 to 24 hours is the correct time, but sometimes you just get a cut of meat that is not great.

Tags
pork, tenderloin, vide, sous, butcher

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.