Souse, headcheese and brains

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Gold member
Default Souse, headcheese and brains

I took this title from another thread.

Gracie, dear, I adore brains and sweetbreads. I also love frog legs, but not the small ones--too many bones. In Hollywood (Florida) I once went to a Chinese restaurant on the boardwalk and had legs as big as drumsticks! They were delicious.

Don't recall if I've ever eaten headcheese, though I know what it is.

Tell me, what's your definition of souse? Do you make any of these things at home? Personally, I haven't slaughtered a hog lately. LOL!
Old 08-27-2017, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I took this title from another thread.

Gracie, dear, I adore brains and sweetbreads. I also love frog legs, but not the small ones--too many bones. In Hollywood (Florida) I once went to a Chinese restaurant on the boardwalk and had legs as big as drumsticks! They were delicious.

Don't recall if I've ever eaten headcheese, though I know what it is.

Tell me, what's your definition of souse? Do you make any of these things at home? Personally, I haven't slaughtered a hog lately. LOL!
No. I have never made any coldcuts at home. Souse and headcheese are German cold cuts and were purchased by our family every Saturday at Thurns in Columbus, Ohio and were made into school lunches.(Also ham, salami, pimento loaf, bologna and other more commonly known items.) I have never slaughtered a hog or seen one slaughtered. And to be honest, I didn't like brains. It was a psychological thing, like eating a SOUL. I have eaten frog legs much later at a Cincinnati restaurant.

Tags
souse, legs, brains, headcheese, lol

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.