Is it still good?

Closed Thread
Old 09-02-2020, 12:12 PM
Gold member
Default Is it still good?

Hubby and I are having a ... uh, a discussion. He's cleaning out the refrig and wants to toss stuff with a past date. I say it isn't necessary for things like:

A-1 Sauce
Chicken soup base
Hot sauces
Ketchup

I say that even thought the label says "best by 2016" there are so many preservatives (read: salt) that they won't spoil. What do you think?

Last edited by Henryk; 09-02-2020 at 12:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-02-2020, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Hubby and I are having a ... uh, a discussion. He's cleaning out the refrig and want to toss stuff with a past date. I say it isn't necessary for things like:

A-1 Sauce
Chicken soup base
Hot sauces
Ketchup

I say that even thought the label says "best by 2016" there are so many preservatives (read: salt) that they won't spoil. What do you think?
For the few dollars that these items cost to replace, is it worth the chance?
Old 09-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Platinum member

Yes. Ditch it!
Old 09-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

Ketchup if it hasnt separated seems to last forever
Old 09-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,467 Times in 3,092 Posts

If you haven't finished something that's been sitting in the fridge for over two years, then it's not likely you're using it enough to waste the space in the fridge on it. Just ditch it. For ketchup, just ask next time you go ANYWHERE that has take-out service (including the supermarket deli area) for a couple of packets of ketchup. Keep them in the cupboard and throw them away after 6 months if you don't use them by that point.

For chicken base, it should have a sell-by date, which is not the same thing as a use-by date. Once it's opened, you can keep it in the fridge probably for a couple of months. And then throw it away.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Hubby and I are having a ... uh, a discussion. He's cleaning out the refrig and wants to toss stuff with a past date. I say it isn't necessary for things like:

A-1 Sauce
Chicken soup base
Hot sauces
Ketchup

Welcome to my parallel universe — Mr. Boomer and I have been having that same argument for decades.

He eats long-expired yogurt unless I intercept it. I have a nose like a hound dog so that makes me persnickety.

Now, for some marital advice: You said this is about the fridge. Do not even think about those cans in the pantry.

Boomer
Old 09-02-2020, 01:45 PM
Gold member

Well! Color me surprised. I've kept Thai fish sauce for ten years. I call it "aged." lol. It does tend to crystalize over the years.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,025 Times in 5,324 Posts

We do tend to smell stuff to decide if ok.

Anything though dairy based would go pretty quick after expiry date
Old 09-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I am as guilty as the next person about not checking expiration dates. After reading your question, I checked with my best friend, Google, and found this handy website:

StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide - Save Money, Eat Better, Help The Environment

I think this will answer more questions than asked.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

some items like tubes of tomato paste last quite a long time in the fridge....pickles as well

I try to 'clean house' (and the shelves) every six months when I replace the box of Arm & Hammer...usually when we
change the clocks from/to daylight savings

The secret to a tasty meal is starting with good fresh ingredients....anything past it's prime is going to detract from the optimal
flavor of your efforts

now, left overs are another matter....if they haven't been frozen, 1 week in the frig and they're tossed
Old 09-02-2020, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

sure you can serve it to your husband , not like you would your dog.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,616 Times in 5,196 Posts

Not just things in the refrigerator, but I go through everything I own on a regular basis and throw out the things I am not using. I think it is the best way to stay organized and neat.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

A-1 Sauce
Chicken soup base
Hot sauces
Ketchup

That’s a good question. In my experience, many foods are good long after the arbitrary expiration date, especially condiments, but four years after? Maybe you don’t need it in your refrigerator. Why not toss it, safe or not? Make some room in there. Ground spices gradually lose their intensity of flavor. I’ve often used spices that are years old, but sometimes I have to use a lot more. Things like A-1, Hot Sauce, and Ketchup are often good several years after the expiration date. Smell them. However, ketchup (Catsup?) left on a shelf unopened, especially in light, may oxidize, turning a darker color. Sometimes that color is just on the surface, and a good shake hides it.

Canned goods are safe years after the expiration date, as long as the cans aren’t bulging, but the cells may eventually fall apart, so the texture becomes mushier. Mostly, expiration dates are more like “sell-by” dates—you don’t need to pay much attention to them. I buy a lot of food at what I call “bang and dent stores,” sometimes in dented cans, but usually simply with “sell-by” dates coming up soon or recently past. I may save 75%, and it tastes just fine. I buy pints of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream for a dollar!

Oil can definitely go rancid. A few weeks ago a friend made me chicken picatta using olive oil she had kept in a lovely decorative bottle for years. I could smell it from the living room, and the taste was, um, unforgettable. We ended up tossing it all. If you are about to use some oil you rarely use, smell it first. If it doesn’t smell sweet and delicious and delicate, toss it. Don’t buy more until you need it, and don’t buy a big bottle.

Things like breakfast cereals, crackers, cookies often get rancid. I’ve often opened something like that and found that it smelled off. This may be long after it’s expiration date, though. I’ve also found tiny spiders in flour I’ve had for several years in a sealed container.

Most drugs are good for at least 15 years after the expiration date.

Here’s an article on the topic from Wikipedia. The final paragraph deals with drugs.
Expiration date - Wikipedia

Here is what Consumer Reports says. Lots of good info here!
How to Extend Food Expiration Dates - Consumer Reports

Last edited by MandoMan; 09-03-2020 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:09 AM
Veteran member

This is finally an exciting topic, ditch them.
Old 09-03-2020, 05:11 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,557 Times in 596 Posts

Quote:

A-1 Sauce
Chicken soup base
Hot sauces
Ketchup

I dump it. Expiration date is usually about a year later so if you still have alot left its obvious its rarely used. Dump it and dont rush replacing
Closed Thread

Tags
label, thought, ketchup, sauces, base

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.