Stuffing or Dressing?

Stuffing or Dressing?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Stuffing or Dressing?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage

Default Stuffing or Dressing?

On Thursday we will eat Dressing, cooked outside the bird, made of bread, celery, onion, cooked chicken, chicken broth, butter, sage, salt and pepper. We like it moist.

What is your choice and what do you call it?

I also love cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. Never had it made with sausage or nuts. In fact in my adult life I have only had one Thanksgiving dinner I didn't cook myself.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-17-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:26 AM
Gold member

This year, it will be up to the restaurant. I will miss the roasted parsnips we usually enjoy.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 11-17-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2018, 09:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

This year is dressing as we're having Turkey Breast and can't stuff it !
Old 11-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
On Thursday we will eat Dressing, cooked outside the bird, made of bread, celery, onion, cooked chicken, chicken broth, butter, sage, salt and pepper. We like it moist.

What is your choice and what do you call it?

I also love cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. Never had it made with sausage or nuts. In fact in my adult life I have only had one Thanksgiving dinner I didn't cook myself.
We always had Stuffing in the Bird. Same ingredients except one - we used Sausage meat instead of cooked chicken.

And, like you, I was the Thanksgiving Queen* in our house. Only missed cooking once when I had an emergency appendectomy and last year we ordered the Thanksgiving dinner from Publix -- something I will never do again.

Last edited by BK001; 11-17-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:07 AM
Sage

Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.

We transitioned from Stuffing to Dressing. My mom was always Stuffing, but somehow we lost that in the translation and we are calling it Dressing.

All turkey organs and turkey meat in our Sage Dressing. Family tradition to lay out three loafs of bread for two days to dry out. I like sausage in my Dressing........so I make two batches.......one with, one without. (Almost put my mother in her grave when I put sausage in HER Dressing.)
Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 AM

Stuffing with chestnuts, oysters and sausage well seasoned. Top it on the plate with great turkey gravy and it is half the Thanksgiving dinner. Refrigerate the leftovers and have them three days later with the stuffing fried and topped with left over gravy. In between turkey sandwiches with some sliced left over stuffing included along with cranberry sauce. Wait six months and do it all over again.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
We transitioned from Stuffing to Dressing. My mom was always Stuffing, but somehow we lost that in the translation and we are calling it Dressing.

All turkey organs and turkey meat in our Sage Dressing. Family tradition to lay out three loafs of bread for two days to dry out. I like sausage in my Dressing........so I make two batches.......one with, one without. (Almost put my mother in her grave when I put sausage in HER Dressing.)
Many, many years ago I too would add the chopped up turkey organs. I stopped it the year one of my little cousins, with a scrunched up nose asked, "is there liver in this?"

LOL - I'm not proud that I said emphatically "Of course not!"
Old 11-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Many, many years ago I too would add the chopped up turkey organs. I stopped it the year one of my little cousins, with a scrunched up nose asked, "is there liver in this?"

I pulled a similar number on a grandchild who would not eat the heel of a loaf of bread. Put the crusty side facing inward on his sandwich.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

Good girl!
Old 11-17-2018, 03:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

Same, remember laying out the bread. I still do it, but only half bread, half Pepperidge Farm cubed stuffing mix. Stuffing always inside the bird, as per both mother and MIL did. My MIL added sautéed cooked & shredded potatoes. I used to but got lazy. That's like a three-day process using a cast-iron skillet.

No meat in our stuffing. I made sausage & cornbread stuffing decades ago, but I was the only one who liked it.

Tags
cooked, dressing, chicken, sage, pepper