Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

My Turkey

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-nyc0oXDVnc...rkey%2Bpic.png
Old 11-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I've always known it as 'stuffing'...even the extra that won't fit in the bird and is cooked in a baking dish in the oven was called 'stuffing' (and of course mixed with what was inside the bird. Bell's seasoning and sausage is my favorite. One year my uncle brought chestnut stuffing to the family gathering...it was nice, but it just didn't feel like we had a 'traditional' Thanksgiving dinner that year. It all goes back to what you grew up with. My mother made THE best pan gravy...I'm so glad that I hung around the kitchen back in the day and watched how she made it....just saying
Old 11-19-2018, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've always known it as 'stuffing'...even the extra that won't fit in the bird and is cooked in a baking dish in the oven was called 'stuffing' (and of course mixed with what was inside the bird. Bell's seasoning and sausage is my favorite. One year my uncle brought chestnut stuffing to the family gathering...it was nice, but it just didn't feel like we had a 'traditional' Thanksgiving dinner that year. It all goes back to what you grew up with. My mother made THE best pan gravy...I'm so glad that I hung around the kitchen back in the day and watched how she made it....just saying
DAVE. I have never heard of "Bell's Seasoning so I looked it up. It has Oregano and Thyme and Ginger in it?

It is said to be a New England tradition.

Bell's Seasoning | A New England Thanksgiving Classic - New England Today

My dressing has onion, celery, cooked chicken, butter and sage and parsley along with the bread. And it is very moist. As I said earlier, I have no clue what is traditional for others, only once since I was 21 did I eat at another table. The rest of the time I cooked the meal and tried to accommodate everyone present's favorites. Sometimes I would have more than ten sides. I did it all. This week someone is bringing a wonderful broccoli casserole, but the rest I will cook, or buy prepared. ( I shamelessly use Bob Evans already prepared mashed potatoes.) And there won't be that many sides. I don't think. I keep thinking of more.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-19-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:48 PM
Smile Thanksgiving Stuffing

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
On Thursday we will eat Dressing, cooked outside the bird, made of bread, celery, onion, cooked chicken, chicken broth, butter, sage, salt and pepper. We like it moist.

What is your choice and what do you call it?

I also love cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. Never had it made with sausage or nuts. In fact in my adult life I have only had one Thanksgiving dinner I didn't cook myself.
I make it outside the bird with Pepperidge Farm Stuffing, celery, onions, one egg, crumble up sausage links, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste and I use Turkey Stock.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,587 Times in 566 Posts

Both what fits in the brine turkey and what’s left goes in large muffin pan for those who like crispy
Old 11-20-2018, 04:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Both what fits in the brine turkey and what’s left goes in large muffin pan for those who like crispy
Crispy you say. New concept for me.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Multi Bird Roasts | Trevilley Farm

Now that is what you call a stuffed turkey!
Old 11-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
On Thursday we will eat Dressing, cooked outside the bird, made of bread, celery, onion, cooked chicken, chicken broth, butter, sage, salt and pepper. We like it moist.

I also love cornbread dressing and oyster dressing. Never had it made with sausage or nuts. In fact in my adult life I have only had one Thanksgiving dinner I didn't cook myself.
I do much the same thing except Jimmy Dean sausage, mushrooms, and lots of Bell Seasoning (which contains a lot of sage).

When my mom did TG, she often had twenty people or so for dinner. My six siblings and I always got to take home a container of stuffing. She floored a couple of guests when she told everyone at the table she had to make so much stuffing (she stuffed, I don’t), that she made it in the kitchen sink! She did say that she scrubbed the sink with soap and bleach first. Lol..
Old 11-20-2018, 12:07 PM

A bit tricky cooking stuffing without over cooking the turkey. The cavity is ripe with bacteria and needs 175 or so to kill them and cook the stuffing. Most pros I think cook the stuffing outside the bird to better manage a properly cooked turkey. Lots of talk on this with the foodies. JMHO. Yes I do all the cooking
Old 11-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
A bit tricky cooking stuffing without over cooking the turkey. The cavity is ripe with bacteria and needs 175 or so to kill them and cook the stuffing. Most pros I think cook the stuffing outside the bird to better manage a properly cooked turkey. Lots of talk on this with the foodies. JMHO. Yes I do all the cooking
For fifty years, my mother cooked two stuffed turkeys (how come it’s not ‘turkies’?) at 250 for about 16 hours in one oven. Remarkably, never an unfortunate incident. But, that’s my mother. (See her stuffing procedure above.)

She never cleaned her oven, claiming it contributed “flavor.” Then the fire department arrived...

And you wonder why I’m odd?
Old 11-20-2018, 03:31 PM

There's a good scene from "The West Wing" about this:

President Bartlet and the Butterball Hotline - YouTube
Old 11-20-2018, 07:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
There's a good scene from "The West Wing" about this:

President Bartlet and the Butterball Hotline - YouTube
HaHa - loved it
Old 11-20-2018, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

We have always called it stuffing, regardless of weather or not it is cooked in the Turkey. Make it with lots of onion, celery, apples, and a few carrots using Bells seasoning, pepperidge farms herb seasoned stuffing mix, garlic, pepper, some butter and olive oil, and chicken broth. I stuff the bird, but do not pack the stuffing in tight to insure it adequately cooks. There is always plenty of stuffing left to cook in a baking dish. Like the stuffing on the moist side, smothered with homemade gravy. My sisters are vedgeterians so they won't eat the stuffing cooked inside the bird. I don't tell them I use chicken broth in the stuffing and they always love it. I can't put sausage in the stuffing because they would not eat any.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
We have always called it stuffing, regardless of weather or not it is cooked in the Turkey. Make it with lots of onion, celery, apples, and a few carrots using Bells seasoning, pepperidge farms herb seasoned stuffing mix, garlic, pepper, some butter and olive oil, and chicken broth. I stuff the bird, but do not pack the stuffing in tight to insure it adequately cooks. There is always plenty of stuffing left to cook in a baking dish. Like the stuffing on the moist side, smothered with homemade gravy. My sisters are vedgeterians so they won't eat the stuffing cooked inside the bird. I don't tell them I use chicken broth in the stuffing and they always love it. I can't put sausage in the stuffing because they would not eat any.
It amazes me how many people here have this recipe!
Old 11-25-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

I always stuff the bird. But I add a lot of stuff like apples, onions, celery, raisins, and walnuts. I usually use Pepperidge Farm seasoned stuffing mix and go from there.

I always thought that if it's cooked inside the bird it's called stuffing and if it's cooked on the stove, it's called dressing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
cooked, dressing, chicken, sage, pepper

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.