Swedish meatballs circa 1968

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2013, 08:47 AM
Sage
Default Swedish meatballs circa 1968

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I was given this recipe by my Swedish sister in law; it's also identical to the one found back in 1968 in the TIME-LIFE COOKBOOK series of various countries....and it is authentic with the mashed potatoes being mixed into the ground beef and finely chopped onions, heavy cream, etc.

She gave me a second Swedish meatball recipe with allspice, nutmeg and dill weed in it which her own mother used to prepare.....but I can't find it at the moment.

Plus, a third recipe from her son in law's side of the family. They all still live in Sweden.

I'll keep looking. I'm trying to digitalize all of my old old recipes.

Very delicious. Very, very easy to make. Often people crave simple comfort foods which are recipes from their past generations or childhood memories......nothing artificial in this recipe.....the cream might be "rich" but makes it yummy (no canned soup or processed gravies used).

SWEDISH MEATBALLS

Ingredients

1 tablespoon butter
4 tablespoons finely chopped onions
1 large boiled potato, mashed to make 1 cup
3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
1 lb lean ground beef (I have also used ground pork)
1/3 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 cup light cream or 3/4 cup heavy cream (for the sauce)

Directions

In a small frying pan, melt the tbsp of butter over med heat; when foam subsides, add onions and cook for about 5 minutes until they are soft and translucent but not brown. (Onions should be diced very very very finely as these meatballs should be rolled on the small side)

In a large bowl, combine the onions, mashed potato, bread crumbs, meat, cream, salt, egg and parsley; knead vigorously with both hands or beat with a wooden spoon until all of the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth and fluffy.

FLUFFY is the key. They will not be like other meatballs you have made. Keep wetting your hands with water when you roll them into balls.

Shape into small balls about one inch in diameter.
Arrange meatballs in one layer on a baking sheet or flat tray, cover with plastic wrap, and CHILL for at least 1 hour before cooking.

If you do not chill them, they will fall apart when frying

Over high heat, in a large heavy skillet, melt the 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp oil; when the foam subsides, add the meatballs, 8 to 10 at a time.

Reduce the heat to medium and fry balls on all sides, shaking pan almost constantly to roll the balls around in the hot fat to help keep their shape.

In 8 to 10 minutes the meatballs should be brown outside and show no trace of pink inside when one is broken open with a knife.

Add more butter and oil as needed to the skillet as you fry each batch, and transfer finished meatballs to a casserole dish and keep warm in a 200F oven.

Remove empty pan from heat and pour off all fat; stir in 1 tbsp of flour.

Quickly stir in 3/4 cup of light or heavy cream and boil the sauce over medium heat for 2 or 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it is thick and smooth.

Pour over meatballs and serve with buttered noodles or mashed potatoes.

Simple but delicious. You can also serve with pickled red cabbage, green peas / green beans.....dark bread.
Whatever you wish to serve is fine "on the side".....

These are also great on a buffet table at a party......with or without the buttered egg noodles....

THEY WILL DISAPPEAR. Men love them.

Now, seriously, what can you make with one pound of ground beef anymore? All of those restaurant "steaks" must get old after awhile.

I like the allspice and nutmeg additions, never thought of dillweed. Anyone ever try the Swedish meatballs at Ikea? Not joking, they are good.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I like the allspice and nutmeg additions, never thought of dillweed. Anyone ever try the Swedish meatballs at Ikea? Not joking, they are good.
The dillweed makes it a bit spicy.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Sage
Default There was a scandal re horsemeat in the I.K.E.A. Swedish Meatballs

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-25-2014 at 06:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Latest-News-Wires/2013/0225/Ikea-Horse-meat-found-in-Swedish-meatballs

My niece Angelica is in top management at I.K.E.A. in Sweden. Her husband is an engineer. Nice family.....
One of her sisters is a doctor and the youngest one is a lawyer.

Angelica was born in Uddevalla Vastra Gotaland, Sweden in 1974; came to visit us as a baby, etc., etc., etc.

Our son has visited her and her hubby in Sweden in their modern farmhouse. He flew into Denmark where they were kind enough to pick him up and drive him back to their house in the southern region of Sweden.

I've known about the horsemeat in the I.K.E.A. Swedish meatballs "scandal" for quite some time.......

Also, there is a "copycat" recipe for I.K.E.A.'s Swedish Meatballs online; everyone says it is authentic tasting.

Angelica's mom, Birgitta, is the one who gave me the recipes for Swedish Meatballs; they are all excellent.

I make them without horsemeat. Ground beef or ground pork is my preference. Spices are a nice addition.....such as a pinch of nutmeg, etc.

Don't worry Gracie, according to the article, none of the hosemeat tainted meatballs were shipped to the USA.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.