Fried potatoes & eggs sandwich

Closed Thread
Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 PM
Sage
Default Fried potatoes & eggs sandwich

FRIED POTATOES & EGGS
PATATE FRITTE CON UOVO
Cookbook: Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen

WE ALWAYS ATE THE ABOVE AS A "SANDWICH" ON ITALIAN BREAD WITH KETCHUP......

IT CAN ALSO BE SERVED (AS LYDIA STATES) FOR LUNCH, ETC......ON A PLATE WITH A SALAD.

I KNOW HOW I MAKE IT & HOW MY PARENTS MADE IT, BUT WANTED TO FIND A RECIPE NONETHELESS........TO BE MORE EXPLICIT WITH THE DIRECTIONS. THIS SOUNDS RIGHT TO ME.

This recipe serves two, but it can be easily doubled or cut in half.
Potatoes and eggs cooked like this are best when prepared from start to end in the same pan, so the potatoes stay crispy and hot.

You might want to do one panful at a time the first time you try this recipe, but once you eat this, I guarantee it will become a favorite and soon you'll get the knack of working two pans at once.

Serve for breakfast or as lunch with a salad. - See more at: http://www.lidiasitaly.com/recipes/detail/690#sthash.sv0m02Sk.2vsT8Cgj.dpuf
1 large Idaho potato, (about 8 ounces)

½ cup extra-virgin olive oil

4 eggs

½ teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves (or, you can skip this......use oregano if you wish)

salt, preferably sea salt

freshly ground pepper
************************************************** ******************************
Peel the potato and cut it in half crosswise.

Stand the halves cut side down and cut into 1/4-inch slices, then cut the slices into 1/4-inch strips.

Divide the oil between two 8-inch non-stick or well seasoned skillets and heat over medium-high heat.

(If you don't have two such pans, cook the potatoes and eggs one at a time.)

Divide the potatoes between the pans of oil and cook, shaking the pans and turning the potatoes as necessary, until they are golden brown on all sides, about 6 minutes.

Hold the potatoes in place with a slotted spoon or wire skimmer while you pour off all but about 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil from the skillets.

Return the skillets to the heat, sprinkle half the rosemary leaves (or oregano) over each and toss well.

Break two eggs into each pan.

Season generously with salt and pepper, and mix the potatoes and eggs together with a fork until the egg is cooked to your likeness.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 PM
Sage

My Nana taught me how to make this meal when I was 10. I make and love various versions to this day, but have never added rosemary. Thanks for sharing this receipt
Old 01-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Sage
Default Neither have I

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
My Nana taught me how to make this meal when I was 10. I make and love various versions to this day, but have never added rosemary. Thanks for sharing this receipt

Neither have I. But I occasionally use oregano on my fried potatoes.
We are expecting yet another snowstorm.......so I'm going to try it with the rosemary.......nice hot lunch.

It really doesn't need a recipe......as you well know !!!

But wanted some simple directions for those who are not familiar with the food.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:12 PM
Sage

Be careful with this storm coming.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.