Taylor Ham?

Old 01-25-2015, 04:16 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Taylor Ham Jersey, beef with kemmelweck rolls Buffalo, Doug's fish fry, white hots, Grandma Brown baked bean and french fries with gravy Central New York

Old 01-25-2015, 05:15 PM
Gold member

Had a Taylor ham sandwich with home fries at Athens. Sandwich has fried egg, cheese, and pork roll. It's always on their breakfast menu.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"

Old 01-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
I hear you. We ate Taylor Ham (Pork roll) sandwiches almost every single day for lunch while in high school back in the early '60s.

Although the school cafeteria's lunches were great, we just got addicted to the Taylor Ham (fried up crispy) on a hard Kaiser roll, so would walk across the park to Oliver Street where a small luncheonette served them.

The only difference was "would it be topped with mustard or ketchup". Obviously, we did not have sophisticated palates in those days.

At home I have not made them in a very very long time due to the very high sodium content.........but they were GREAT when we were younger.......

p.s. Cute story. When we moved to Vermont in 1970, we were reminiscing about Taylor Pork Roll..........I mentioned it to a friendly neighbor who was a "native" plus a country gal. She apparently went out & bought some.........she HATED IT. Guess she didn't know (until later) that she was supposed to fry it. Ate it just out of the wrapping. I guess she thought it was like cold cuts/cold meats.
Oh yes, taylor ham sushi is very popular in some Japanese New Jersey Restaurants.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainsley View Post
I had some sliced at the Publix deli in Colony just last week! It is $9.99/lb. Yummy!
At 10 Dollars a pound it best be great. I love my beef and it is cheaper. Each to their own.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpirate View Post
At 10 Dollars a pound it best be great. I love my beef and it is cheaper. Each to their own.
Think of it as New Jersey comfort food. How do you put a price on that?

Besides a quarter pound is enough for 2 sandwiches. I got a dollar and a quarter for a taylor ham sandwich and enough extra money to buy a hard roll, lettuce, tomato and mayo. I'm still looking for a hard roll. For now Fresh Market has a square Italian roll for 65 cents that's plenty good enough.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:50 AM
Sage
Default We went to Seaside Heights every single weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcdonald View Post
I remember Taylor Ham from Seaside Heights.

Once I had it I made my mom make it.

When I lived alone I had a frying pan dedicated to it.

If I can find it in TV it would bring back old memories!

We went to Seaside Heights every single weekend, either a Saturday or a Sunday........driving home late evening on the "Garden State Parking Lot" as we jokingly called it. It was the place to go, for sure. Yes, now I also remember it on the boardwalk.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
We went to Seaside Heights every single weekend, either a Saturday or a Sunday........driving home late evening on the "Garden State Parking Lot" as we jokingly called it. It was the place to go, for sure. Yes, now I also remember it on the boardwalk.
I could get taylor ham at home so I never ate it at Seaside. I would eat the sausage and pepper sandwiches. You could smell them when you got on the boardwalk. I played the stands too and the game where you roll a ball down the lane and it hoped in the air trying to get into the 50 point cup. What was that game called? Skeeball? I was good at it. All my best skills are useless skills like diagraming sentences. I was good at that too.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.