Taylor Pork Roll and nice lady from New Jersey

Closed Thread
Old 09-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Taylor Pork Roll and nice lady from New Jersey

Shopping today at Publix and saw a little box that said Taylor Pork Roll, and reached up and took it down to see it better. A woman standing next to me said, "You must be from New Jersey". I told her I was from Ohio but had heard of Taylor Pork Roll or Taylor Ham talked about on a forum called Talk of the Villages. She told me that I must try it, it is delicious, she said to cook it and put cheese on it, and then I told her about Cincinnati Chili that was also a favorite from my area and I told her to put it on pasta and put grated cheddar on top and raw onion is good too.

We both went away smiling and I have Taylor Pork Roll at my house and plan to sample it tomorrow.... any further guidance?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_8806.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	76441  
Old 09-09-2018, 12:28 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Keep in mind that a pork roll/egg/cheese sandwich in NJ is its very own food group - with the addition of a tsp of mayo and slice of Jersey tomato! LOL

Here's a video that might help a novice" pork roll egg and cheese sandwich - Bing video

Hints: don't forget to put 3 or 4 small slits around the pork roll slice to prevent curling; the video shows the use of Pam cooking spray...not a fan...don't want to deflect from the flavor of pork roll in any way!; a hard roll is the primo bread for this sandwich and toasting it is optional - toasted white bread will always work when one does not have hard rolls in the house; and a condiment is also an option - mayo or ketchup as personally preferred' consider breaking the yolk after turning the egg when cooking - much less messy when lifting the sandwich and biting into it -just don't cook it to a really solid state!

I prefer the thin sliced pkg when cooking indoors and the thicker sliced pkg when grilling outside to use pork roll on a burger [along with that Jersey tomato ]! YUM!

Old 09-09-2018, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

AH, Cincinnati Chilli, still looking for a good (or close copy) here, I had relatives from Ohio, and they made it from scratch always great.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
AH, Cincinnati Chilli, still looking for a good (or close copy) here, I had relatives from Ohio, and they made it from scratch always great.
They have it in the freezer case at Publix.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:25 PM

After the Taylors Pork Roll sandwich, try some of the other Philadelphia and vicinity specialties. Publix carries Habbersett Scrapple in the frozen food section and you might be able to find a can of Snapping Turtle soup at Fresh Market. Unfortunately Campbells stopped making Philadelphia Pepper Pot soup several years ago. I make ours with oxtails and tripe but it takes all day. Oh, I forgot, add some Sherry to taste to the turtle soup when you serve it.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Other than White Castle Pork Roll was next in line as the favorite missed food item from Jersey. We ordered 2 Pizza's when we were 45 minutes from our son's house and the owner said to Mrs. Nucky, are you trying to put me out of business, please consider moving back we need your business.

Mrs. Gracie that box you took the picture of is like GOLD. Bless You.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Gold member

I prefer a thicker slice of pork roll than the package kind. I order pork roll sliced thicker from the Publix deli counter.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Sage

Okay my friends in the know. I am having myself a Taylor pork roll sandwich for my lunch.

Make slits in how many slices? (They are kinda thin)
Fry an egg too?
Add sliced tomato and thinly sliced sweet Vidalia and mayonnaise or mustard?

Bread preference?

I have learned so many things on this forum.

OH WAIT DUH. Mar....I mean NJBEACHBUM already linked this excellent video. pork roll egg and cheese sandwich - Bing video

I am going with mayonnaise over catsup. We have a lot of mayonnaise in the pantry.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-10-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Okay my friends in the know. I am having myself a Taylor pork roll sandwich for my lunch.

Fry an egg too?

Bread preference?

OH WAIT DUH. Mar....I mean NJBEACHBUM already linked this excellent video. pork roll egg and cheese sandwich - Bing video

I am going with mayonnaise over catsup. We have a lot of mayonnaise in the pantry.
Wish Publix would stock the 4 count box instead of the 8. The 8 count is too thin. It frys up hard if left in pan too long. It's Taylor ham several slices, fried egg on hard roll with a little mayo. Cheese optional. I want Taylor ham to shine.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:04 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
Wish Publix would stock the 4 count box instead of the 8. The 8 count is too thin. It frys up hard if left in pan too long. It's Taylor ham several slices, fried egg on hard roll with a little mayo. Cheese optional. I want Taylor ham to shine.
Didja see this earlier post above?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
I prefer a thicker slice of pork roll than the package kind. I order pork roll sliced thicker from the Publix deli counter.

John

Old 09-10-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Fry an egg too?

Bread preference?

It's best on a roll. I like mayo too but don't tell anyone. Cook it over low heat and it will curl, then flip it and the other side curls and you are done. Melt the cheese if you are using, only american. No swiss or anything like that.

North Jersey: Taylor Ham
South Jersey/Philly: Pork Roll.

Never a combo.

Artisan ice cream places have been making Taylor Ham ice cream these last few summers.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:04 PM
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky

Ok. I have to ask. What is the difference between pork roll and good old fashion bologna?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Sage

Ah...As it is often heard in the hinterlands...

We have done and et.

I made it on toasted potato bread nice and dense. Three pieces of Taylor pork roll and one piece of American cheese, thinly sliced sweet onion and tomato..(not Ohio or New Jersey tomato) but you have to go on...… A nice fried egg, salt and pepper and mayonnaise and catsup. I cut it in two and gave the biggest part to my sweet husband...and then I enjoyed my part immensely.It was yummy and satisfying and kind of reminded me of my childhood fried baloney sandwiches...So glad I tried it and will buy it again.

Kind of sorry I gave him the biggest part. sigh.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:02 PM

All you need now is a cigarette and a Yoohoo, some gambling tickets in your pocket, and you could work as a longshore(wo)man in Port Elizabeth.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Post View Post
All you need now is a cigarette and a Yoohoo, some gambling tickets in your pocket, and you could work as a longshore(wo)man in Port Elizabeth.
Now that evokes a memory from my soul of the Bayway Diner - before Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives - and the original 9 stools!
Bayway Diner | Restaurants : Food Network | Food Network

Closed Thread

Tags
taylor, pork, roll, told, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.