Taylor Pork Roll and nice lady from New Jersey

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2018, 03:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Growing up in NYC, we called it Taylor's Ham. Bought it sliced thin at the deli. When not making a sandwich, I used to eat it just rolled up with a spoonful of Breakstone's cottage cheese inside.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Now that evokes a memory from my soul of the Bayway Diner - before Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives - and the original 9 stools!
Bayway Diner | Restaurants : Food Network | Food Network
The man who owned The Bayway Diner also owned a Biker Bar in Elizabeth. He was so chilled out at The Diner and made a mint. The Burgers were Fantastic. Every truck coming out of The Refinery was almost required to stop there. When he was at the bar just a different person. This was many moons ago.

Big Stash's in Linden is out of business, what a shame.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:48 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmbluk View Post
Ok. I have to ask. What is the difference between pork roll and good old fashion bologna?
I was wondering this also
Old 09-10-2018, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
I was wondering this also
Taylor Ham I think and has a polar opposite taste to bologna that is hard to compare to anything else. If you ever believed any Bologna I've ever sold on here I promise you will be happy if you find it in the store now.

Mrs. Nucky had a friend and her husband stay with us for a week while they searched for a home. They paid the favor back to Mrs. Nucky with 15 lbs of Pork Roll sent in Dry Ice thru the mail. They were mortified that it couldn't be purchased here. Guess we were wrong about that.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:14 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Taylor Ham I think and has a polar opposite taste to bologna that is hard to compare to anything else. If you ever believed any Bologna I've ever sold on here I promise you will be happy if you find it in the store now.

Mrs. Nucky had a friend and her husband stay with us for a week while they searched for a home. They paid the favor back to Mrs. Nucky with 15 lbs of Pork Roll sent in Dry Ice thru the mail. They were mortified that it couldn't be purchased here. Guess we were wrong about that.
Might have to try it
Old 09-11-2018, 02:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Salami say everyone should try it!
Old 09-11-2018, 07:04 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDog View Post
I prefer a thicker slice of pork roll than the package kind. I order pork roll sliced thicker from the Publix deli counter.

John
At the Deli counter, is it Taylor brand they sell? There is another brand at deli called Case. Not as good as Taylor.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I found the little box of Taylor Pork Roll on the top shelf near the refrigerated mashed potatoes.

I am going to try scrapple next.

They don't sell Goetta here. It is wonderful, only in Cincinnati.

Goetta
Old 09-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
At the Deli counter, is it Taylor brand they sell? There is another brand at deli called Case. Not as good as Taylor.
It's Taylor, not Case.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 09-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Veteran member

And now it's time for you all to try Scrapple!
Old 09-11-2018, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
I like mine cut thin (about 3/8") and fried til it's crisp on the outside.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:26 AM

Cut it a little over 1/2 inch, set the skillet on medium low and let it get a nice thick crust on the bottom. The turn it over and squash it. Wait for the same thick crust and then flip it again and fry for a few more minutes. I like it with ketchup and sometimes grape jelly, but it is just fine without a condiment. Its good soaked in a fried egg yolk as you eat it as well.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Cut it a little over 1/2 inch, set the skillet on medium low and let it get a nice thick crust on the bottom. The turn it over and squash it. Wait for the same thick crust and then flip it again and fry for a few more minutes. I like it with ketchup and sometimes grape jelly, but it is just fine without a condiment. Its good soaked in a fried egg yolk as you eat it as well.

Grape jelly! A little sweet and savory mix. I fried my egg "hard" yesterday. I will try it yolky next time. Thank you.

This has been fun.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by salpal View Post
I'm ready, What's Dat? Dog food aisle, I'm definitely just kidding. Seriously what is it? I go get it right now. Thank's.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm ready, What's Dat? Dog food aisle, I'm definitely just kidding. Seriously what is it? I go get it right now. Thank's.
It's called Scrapple and its made from leftover pork scraps. Scrapple is a way to use every part of the pig. It was invented by the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 1600s. Any edible organs would be used, including heads, liver, snouts, even hearts.

I hear it tastes better then the recipe sounds. I draw the line on snouts for the same reason I lost my desire for tilapia.
Closed Thread

Tags
taylor, pork, roll, told, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.