Taylor Pork Roll and nice lady from New Jersey

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
It's called Scrapple and its made from leftover pork scraps. Scrapple is a way to use every part of the pig. It was invented by the Pennsylvania Dutch in the 1600s. Any edible organs would be used, including heads, liver, snouts, even hearts.

I hear it tastes better then the recipe sounds. I draw the line on snouts for the same reason I lost my desire for tilapia.
M y MIL, born and raised in Philadelphia, loved it. I guess you had to be born into it, like Vegemite.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 AM

I just recently returned from a trip to my home state....NJ. Brought back a 6 pound package of Trenton's own, Case Pork Roll. Yummy!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
M y MIL, born and raised in Philadelphia, loved it. I guess you had to be born into it, like Vegemite.
Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. I never had vegimite but I would give that a try.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 AM

So scrapple is the left over scraps from the grill with cornmeal? So does it always taste different? I've seen it on breakfast menu's in PA many times but never had the guts to order it! Is there anything it compares to?

Man that must be terrible health wise
Old 09-12-2018, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. I never had vegimite but I would give that a try.
I have. One of our kids lives in Australia. I can guarantee you it's an acquired taste.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:37 PM

Can't think of anything like it except maybe Goetta which comes from Cincinnati and its environs. Graciegirl can explain that one.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,020 Times in 453 Posts

Quote:
I have used some Marmite (its British cousin) when making beef stew. It is supposed to enhance umami or savoriness.
Closed Thread

Tags
taylor, pork, roll, told, put

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.