Tell us what your favorite vegetable side dishes are....

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2018, 03:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I like to do roasted root vegetables. Carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips, and any others. Cut up into small cubes, salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary and sometimes chop up an onion, spay with olive oil and roast in the oven until tender.

Lots are good on the grill. Chopped up summer squash seasoned with greek spices and olive oil cooked on a sheet of non stick tin foil by folding up the edges.

Avacado cut in half and cooked on the grill with a little salt, pepper and lemon juice. Skin side down.

Corn on the grill. Leave husk on, soak in water for a hour or more then place directly on the grill. Kind of steams it. And I agree with Gracie, Garden to cooking as fast as possible.

Steam broccoli with lots of grated ginger in the water. Adds a great flavor to it.

Butternut squash, cut in quarters, roasted and served with butter and brown sugar sprinkled on top.

Fresh from the garden tomatoes and cukes, cut up, salt, pepper and olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
Good stuff.
I love a plate of home-grown tomatoes sliced, drizzled with olive oil and balsamic, sprinkled with salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, and basil chiffonade. Has to be very good tomatoes.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Anything but LIMA BEANS, BLAAAAAAH!
I'm with you on that. They made me gag when I was forced to eat them as a kid. Something about the texture. We kids became very good at hiding them in our napkins, although thinking back I bet our parents knew we were doing it and just let it go. Win-win.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm with you on that. They made me gag when I was forced to eat them as a kid. Something about the texture. We kids became very good at hiding them in our napkins, although thinking back I bet our parents knew we were doing it and just let it go. Win-win.
even bacon doesn't help Lima beans
Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I suggest you just try the lima beans cooked with ham at Oakwood. A friend always orders them and I decided to try them. I now have changed my mind. YUMMY.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I suggest you just try the lima beans cooked with ham at Oakwood. A friend always orders them and I decided to try them. I now have changed my mind. YUMMY.
oooooh, you're supposed to cook them,

nevermind
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage

Chunks of fresh pineapple threaded on a skewer. Baste with a mixture of honey and a tiny bit of cayenne pepper. Occasionally baste with butter to make it brown.

I also thread veggies on skewers including, zucchini, sweet onion chunks, whole mushrooms, small mini canned potatoes (rinsed and dried with a paper towel). I baste in salted butter while grilling. Toss veggies in olive oil and a small amount of pork seasoning before putting on skewer.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
... nor succotash!

So when I went to summer camp, we were allowed to name two foods we didn't have to eat. First on my list... lima beans. Next was beets, but my mother always served them out of a jar (yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuukkkkk). Later I discovered that baking fresh beets drizzled with balsamic and wrapped in tinfoil is a whole 'nother thing. Those are a treat.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
oooooh, you're supposed to cook them,

nevermind
Roseanne Roseanna-danna.

Tags
made, carrots, butter, cooked, barely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.