Thanksgiving Turkey

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2008, 08:02 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanksgiving Turkey

I love to eat but hate to cook; I only roasted a turkey once or twice and it was way too much work . This year, I'm thinking of buying some cut-up turkey parts to roast with veggies.... but need some tips.

Do I bake uncovered or covered? What temperature? How long? Baste with olive oil? Any tips would be appreciated

What's on your Thanksgiving menu ?
Old 11-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Gold member

Usually a 325 to 350 oven and time depends on how many pounds, some times the packaging will have directions. You can always make up a rub with some seasonings and olive oil to rub the turkey parts with. I would line the pan with tin foil but leave it open. Just use olive oil or any pan drippings to baste during the roasting process. Remember that some veggies take longer to cook so take that into consideration. I will check with my son for any additional advice since he does a lot of the cooking around here.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You can do a turkey breast. Seal in foil with celery and onion and cook for about 2.5 hours at 325. Don't let the steam out by peeking. Make box stuffing, we call it dressing in the midwest, but add about a cup of sauteed celery and onion and use chicken broth instead of water.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Veteran member

Before we moved in PERMANENTLY, we were here one Thanksgiving and rather than try to buy the bird with all the trimmings and cook it we found that Toojays offers an excellent alternative. They cook a whole bird, garnish it very nicely, and offer all the other side dishes too. All you have to do is warm them up.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to vito4you

hi to all just joined an want to see how this works
Old 11-22-2008, 11:12 PM
Sage
Arrow Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito4you View Post
hi to all just joined an want to see how this works
Welcome! You'll find a lot of good info and people on TOTV!
Old 11-23-2008, 12:43 AM
Veteran member

Roasting a turkey breast is easy. I agree with GG, cover with foil while roasting, and you won't have to baste it. First rub with olive oil and any seasonings you desire. Cook at 325 for ~ 15 minutes per pound. I uncover the turkey ~ 45 minutes before it's due to be done, so the skin gets nicely browned.

Last edited by bestmickey; 11-23-2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2008, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

We went to visit my Father-in-law a few years ago over Thanksgiving weekend, and we were expecting to go to his place and cook Thanksgiving dinner. Well, he had made plans to have dinner at his girlfriend's place and didn't invite us to come along. So, we were out of town with no plans for Thanksgiving. We ended up getting our turkey dinner from Boston Market and taking it back to the hotel so we could watch the football games. They have a great price on their meal deal for Thanksgiving too. The turkey was really good! Best of all, I didn't have to cook it that year!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.