Is there such a thing as a tasty diabetic recipe

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:52 AM
Sage

Default Is there such a thing as a tasty diabetic recipe

I know this sounds like an oxymoron but surely there are some village "chefs" that would share some recipes. My husband recently diagnosed and I'm desperate for some help.

I've discovered if it tastes good, diabetics must not eat, what a bummer.

Old 09-30-2018, 06:38 PM

What are some things you like to eat? Alot of times you can modify things and make them work. Herbs can also be helpful as can onions, garlic and peppers. Roasting vegetables properly seasoned are really good and healthy carbs. Chicken can be sauted for more flavor. You can even do steak just not a big one.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina /One Retired in Duval

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
I know this sounds like an oxymoron but surely there are some village "chefs" that would share some recipes. My husband recently diagnosed and I'm desperate for some help.

I've discovered if it tastes good, diabetics must not eat, what a bummer.
They are a number of sites on line for good recipes. If you are a hands on need the feel of paper, go to the library check out what they have, use them then buy what works for you. It takes time but it’s just a lifestyle change, just like those with cardiac issues, diet is key if you want to live longer.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Any meat with a non starchy vegetable can make a lovely meal. Concentrate on low carb recipes and good luck!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 09-30-2018, 08:02 PM
Sage

Personally, I don't think eating things that you don't like will ever work in any diet. The main thing is to lose weight by eating fewer calories and doing some exercise. And, if you are hungry, your diet will never work. There is no magic diabetic diet.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-30-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 10:46 PM
Gold member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

I am not diabetic, but eat a low carb diet which is basically one in the same. Lots of tasty foods available, you just have to be selective. It is much harder when eating out, but easy at home. Typical day: Breakfast, fresh fruit, sugar free yogurt, steel cut oatmeal, boiled eggs (I usually throw out the yokes). Lunch, cut up fresh vegetables such as celery, cucumbers, radishes, and zucchini, a turkey sandwich on a low carb wrap with hummus instead of mayo, and some low salt mixed nuts. Dinner, either a piece of broiled fish, chicken, or pork, served with some green vegetables such as broccoli or asparagus and a salad with no croutons and no dressing except sprinkled with olive oil and red wine vinegar. There are so many good foods available without carbs, the key is to just avoid anything with added sugar and or white flower. It takes some time to get used to, but eventually you will love it and will be disgusted when you get something that is laced with sugar.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 AM

Diabetics have had great success with the Keto diet. Basically, it's training your body to burn fat instead of sugar or carbs. Which means you can eat bacon! lol My daughter is on it because she has Celiac and is also trying to control her weight. It has worked well for her, and I have heard of diabetics that have been able to go off of medication on this diet.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:45 PM
Sage

Low carb is the best! Keto is one way to go. Maria Emmerich has several cookbooks out that you might look into. When you go out...eat "clean". When you grocery shop...do the perimeter of the store. ALL processed foods are full of chemicals and sugars and aren't your 'friend'. I've been doing the above way of eating for 6 yrs and my fasting A1c is perfect (down from approaching 7), my cholesterol is perfect and my weight is getting there. Actually one has to change their life-style and it can work if you put your mind to it.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Platinum member

There are many sites that offer diabetic-friendly recipes:

Diabetic Recipes - Allrecipes.com

Diabetic Recipes : Food Network | Food Network

Healthy Diabetic Recipes - EatingWell

All you have to do is google diabetes recipes.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Platinum member

You can also order an array of low calorie/low carbohydrate products. While I think they should be used judiciously, some of the products may well help ward off major cheats when one is feeling vulnerable.

LindasDietDelites.com, Low Carb Food, Low Calorie Food, Low Carb Bread

Lo Carb U – Low Carb Foods | Low Carb Bagels | Low Carb Bread

Hope this helps.

Last edited by BK001; 10-02-2018 at 08:46 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
desperate, diagnosed, husband, recently, eat