Which type of clam chowder?

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg View Post
WHERE IN WAREHAM..? We found our own great quahogs and clams where we lived in Parkwood. Also, Little Beach had great quahogs
You remember the life quard there? Cute.
Yes, it was Parkwood Beach where my Aunt had a house. It's a small world !
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 AM

The best beaches are on the outer cape, so I would stay in either Eastham, Wellfleet or Truro. There is a nice Sheraton in Eastham, or you could rent a cottage for a week. My parents own a couple of cottages that they rent out during the summer. My parents cottages are in Eastham. Close to the bay side beaches which has much warmer water and wonderful sunsets.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:44 AM

Yes, Woodmans is still there, but honestly, their fried clams are very overated.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 AM

If you want to stay in the middle of Cape Cod, then Hyannis is the place, lots or resturants and places to stay. The Cape Cod Melody Tent is there which has some pretty good concerts in the summer.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
When he has some time to spare, could he please post his prize winning recipe for the New England Clam Chowder.....??

When my daughter and son in law lived on an island ten miles off the coast of Maine, they also dug for clams..........my husband also remembers that "job" in New Jersey.......as a kid.....so his mom could make clam chowder.

Everyone made the "white" New England clam chowder not the red Manhattan version, although I've had both.
I do know that he ALWAYS and ONLY used the Ipswich clams and always used salt pork when sauteing the onions, and he used cream also. So, it was very fattening! I'll ask him if he still has the recipe.(I'm talking about the 1985 Chowderfest @Fanuil Hall MarketPlace in Boston)
Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkev View Post
If you want to stay in the middle of Cape Cod, then Hyannis is the place, lots or resturants and places to stay. The Cape Cod Melody Tent is there which has some pretty good concerts in the summer.
I agree, when I lived in Hyannis, I could get to most of the Cape towns in about 30-60mins. (of course NOT in the summer)! I also knew the roads to avoid where the traffic jams are..
Old 03-19-2013, 06:00 AM

Hyannis is a great location to live on the Cape. Everything is here, shopping, dinning, entertainment, healthcare.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:10 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Yes it is, my son still lives there and I'm looking forward to visiting this summer!
Old 03-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodkev View Post
The best beaches are on the outer cape, so I would stay in either Eastham, Wellfleet or Truro. There is a nice Sheraton in Eastham, or you could rent a cottage for a week. My parents own a couple of cottages that they rent out during the summer. My parents cottages are in Eastham. Close to the bay side beaches which has much warmer water and wonderful sunsets.
O.K. I made note of those towns, etc.. Thank you so much.

It will probably be in the autumn for a long weekend.......after Labor Day.
The Sheraton sounds good............

Maybe a cottage or two or three, depending on size for the next time the family gathers......rather than drive up to Maine. Are they on the beach?

Up until this coming summer, all the large family gatherings have been at our place here in Vermont.........everyone stays here and invite all their old "childhood" and "college" friends to come for a big barbecue, etc. and to meet their new babies, etc., etc.

But this year we are renting a house in Maine for two weeks...for a change. Cape Cod could be good for a future family reunion.........
They all have a lot of friends in the Boston region, Amherst, Mass, etc.

Thanks again............
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM

They have one cottage that is three homes back from the water, the other one is 1/2 mile from the water. The street leads directly to the beach.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:25 PM

That's easy - Manhattan Clam Chowda!
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
O.K. I made note of those towns, etc.. Thank you so much.

It will probably be in the autumn for a long weekend.......after Labor Day.
The Sheraton sounds good............

Maybe a cottage or two or three, depending on size for the next time the family gathers......rather than drive up to Maine. Are they on the beach?

Up until this coming summer, all the large family gatherings have been at our place here in Vermont.........everyone stays here and invite all their old "childhood" and "college" friends to come for a big barbecue, etc. and to meet their new babies, etc., etc.

But this year we are renting a house in Maine for two weeks...for a change. Cape Cod could be good for a future family reunion.........
They all have a lot of friends in the Boston region, Amherst, Mass, etc.

Thanks again............

If you do head to the Cape and desire some good Cape Cod seafood then I would suggest a trip to Sesuit Harbor Cafe in Dennis. They are seasonal and usually open from mid April to mid October. That has been our favorite stop on the Cape for many years. A small place where you order off the chalkboard and go sit outside on picnic tables. They will bring you your food when it is ready and the view sitting overlooking the harbor entrance and Cape Cod Bay is wonderful. All this talk of NE chowder and seafood is getting to me. So glad we will be heading up there in May.
http://www.sesuitharbor-cafe.com/
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk7951 View Post
If you do head to the Cape and desire some good Cape Cod seafood then I would suggest a trip to Sesuit Harbor Cafe in Dennis. They are seasonal and usually open from mid April to mid October. That has been our favorite stop on the Cape for many years. A small place where you order off the chalkboard and go sit outside on picnic tables. They will bring you your food when it is ready and the view sitting overlooking the harbor entrance and Cape Cod Bay is wonderful. All this talk of NE chowder and seafood is getting to me. So glad we will be heading up there in May.
http://www.sesuitharbor-cafe.com/
That's one of my favorites, also The Marshside in E. Dennis is wonderful!
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM

for good clam chowda, the Black Cat Tavern on Hyannis Harbor is very good. They won the Cape Cod Chowda Fest last year.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM

New England Choudah...at Mattakeese Wharf, Barnstable Harbor.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.