Recipe request for Poppyseed Yeast Bread

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2013, 08:39 PM
Sage
Default Recipe request for Poppyseed Yeast Bread

Does anyone have a good recipe for the old Slavic / Polish / Hungarian POPPYSEED ROLL??? It's a yeast bread spread with a poppyseed filling and folded up or rolled up before baking............not sure if it's honey or what that is mixed in with the poppyseeds.........but it's very tasty.

It is more like a pastry than a bread..........

Both of our moms would get it at New Jersey bakeries.........but we don't see it up here.............my Budapest Hungarian friend would get it in from Hungary but hers was very "bitter".........she mentioned some type of liquour that was added to the poppyseeds..............different than what we were used to from our childhoods.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe for the old Slavic / Polish / Hungarian POPPYSEED ROLL??? It's a yeast bread spread with a poppyseed filling and folded up or rolled up before baking............not sure if it's honey or what that is mixed in with the poppyseeds.........but it's very tasty.

It is more like a pastry than a bread..........

Both of our moms would get it at New Jersey bakeries.........but we don't see it up here.............my Budapest Hungarian friend would get it in from Hungary but hers was very "bitter".........she mentioned some type of liquour that was added to the poppyseeds..............different than what we were used to from our childhoods.

Thanks in advance.

-------This is the recipe from your childhood......handed down to my wife......
POPPY SEED ROLLS (8 - 10" rolls) Note: dough is made one day ahead!
CAKE: 1/2 LB. crisco (1 C. plus 2 Tb.)
8- C flour
1/2 lb. butter
1-C. boiled potatoes, mashed (Do not drain the potatoes because you need..
1-C reserved potato water
1- tsp. salt
1 or 2 egg yolks, beaten
1-C sugar
1 packet of yeast dissolved & proofed in warm water

POPPY SEED MIXTURE:
1 1/2 lb. of fresh GROUND poppy seeds.
3/4 lb. butter melted with
1 1/2 C milk..(Add a bit more if too dry).
2 1/2 C sugar
a few golden raisins to taste
Cook all ingredients in saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until it bubbles. Cool before filling rolls.

Knead dough..Use as much flour as needed until the dough no longer sticks to your hands. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, seperate into 8 balls. Roll out at least 1/4" thick. Spread poppy seed filling evenly on dough, folding edges inward onto filling first, then roll up. Leave 1 1/2" from top free from mixture in order to seal the roll. Add a little water to egg yolks and brush each roll. Spread butter on insulated cookie sheet. Let cakes rise then bake for 20-25 Min. @375F. Bake the first one alone so you can see how much room it takes when it rises on cookie sheet!

Enjoy
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
-------This is the recipe from your childhood......handed down to my wife......
POPPY SEED ROLLS (8 - 10" rolls) Note: dough is made one day ahead!
CAKE: 1/2 LB. crisco (1 C. plus 2 Tb.)
8- C flour
1/2 lb. butter
1-C. boiled potatoes, mashed (Do not drain the potatoes because you need..
1-C reserved potato water
1- tsp. salt
1 or 2 egg yolks, beaten
1-C sugar
1 packet of yeast dissolved & proofed in warm water

POPPY SEED MIXTURE:
1 1/2 lb. of fresh GROUND poppy seeds.
3/4 lb. butter melted with
1 1/2 C milk..(Add a bit more if too dry).
2 1/2 C sugar
a few golden raisins to taste
Cook all ingredients in saucepan over low heat. Stir constantly until it bubbles. Cool before filling rolls.

Knead dough..Use as much flour as needed until the dough no longer sticks to your hands. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Next day, seperate into 8 balls. Roll out at least 1/4" thick. Spread poppy seed filling evenly on dough, folding edges inward onto filling first, then roll up. Leave 1 1/2" from top free from mixture in order to seal the roll. Add a little water to egg yolks and brush each roll. Spread butter on insulated cookie sheet. Let cakes rise then bake for 20-25 Min. @375F. Bake the first one alone so you can see how much room it takes when it rises on cookie sheet!

Enjoy
Oh my goodness. Thank you so very much !!!!

Was this the Hungarian version? Polish?

Whichever, I appreciate your typing it up.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Oh my goodness. Thank you so very much !!!!

Was this the Hungarian version? Polish?

Whichever, I appreciate your typing it up.

It's an old Polish recipe that's been passed down.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
It's an old Polish recipe that's been passed down.

Wonderful. My late mother in law was Polish.....she also made her own poppyseed roll.......and then would also buy them at the bakery.

Thank you again. Will try it some long rainy day.........of which we will be getting many now that spring is almost here..........
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.