Veiled Maidens Swedish/Norwegian dessert

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 AM
Sage
Default Veiled Maidens Swedish/Norwegian dessert

Veiled Maiden (Apple-Cream Parfait) Recipe | MyGourmetConnection
Years ago, when my Swedish sister in law was visiting for the first time, I borrowed the TIME LIFE COOKBOOKS OF THE WORLD “SCANDINAVIAN” edition from our local library.
Besides preparing American foods......I wanted to make something to make her feel at home.......so tried a very simple but tasty layered apple parfait.
I no longer have the book, obviously, so looked for the recipe online............now it seems to be Norwegian......but at the time it was under Swedish desserts.
Very easy to make and yet very tasty and light after a heavier dinner, “Veiled Maidens” is simply apple sauce layered with lightly browned plain bread crumbs or cookie crumbs and whipped cream.....repeating the layers as per the recipe........here they use panko crumbs. You could also use graham cracker crumbs. You could substitute cool whip if you want “non dairy” vs. cream.

I even made it once using canned apple pie filling in very tall parfait glasses. You could also substitute pears instead of apples. HOWEVER, APPLE SAUCE IS THE NORM.

Who does not like cinnamon, applesauce or apple pie filling with whipped cream? Nuts are optional if you cannot digest them.......some recipes top with hazelnuts......others use finely chopped walnuts in with the breadcrumb layers.

CLICK ON FIRST HYPERLINK ABOVE.........

Veiled Farm Girls
Here’s another link to “Veiled Farm Girls”......(Veiled Maidens)......

No matter what you call it, it is simple and good.

They use martini glasses, but tall parfait glasses are really nice.......

This recipe calls for the plain (not seasoned) breadcrumbs that I originally used.

Going to try it later........I would imagine you can use the Motts chunkier apple sauce as well........

It is a kid friendly dessert. Swedish cooking is very simple but tasty.

Apple Parfait Dessert - Bing Images
More “parfait glass” ideas..........

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.