What to cook during a hurricane?

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Gold member
Default What to cook during a hurricane?

Why, a pot roast, of course. Onions, celery, garlic and of course potatoes.

Or maybe a soup...
Old 09-10-2017, 10:08 AM
Eternal Member

I'm roasting a chicken, mashed potatoes and corn. Plus, there will be plenty for leftovers. Oh yea, plus some wine to wash it down. Yum!!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Brown's party over here. Ribs, lemon pepper chicken, macaroni salad and baked beans. Lots of booze!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Beef stew, pasta figoli , chili, salisbury steak with noodles, beef with noodles, noodles with noodles ,lasagna, pizzas, spanish rice, gnocchi, ..........................................:icon_hu ngry:
Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM

Prior to the storm hitting (it was good to have a few days advance warning) I made meals that were easy to increase for leftovers that I will be able to reheat on my grill if the power is off for an extended time.....ham & scalloped potatoes, Krafty Crescent Lasagna, Cottage Pie. I have a side burner on the grill that will make it easy to boil water or soups. I always have chili and chicken soup in the freezer ~ I'm just hoping we do not lose power for long and my freezer supply needs to be cooked ASAP. If so, the call will be sent out, neighbor-to-neighbor that more grills are needed. I'm sure nothing will go to waste!
Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I bought a lot of Campbell's Chunky Soup. If the power goes out we may have to go whatever is in there though of the gas oven and stove. Provided the gas still works. Then go to the soup and the bread I collected from many different stores. The bread aisles at Walmart, Public and Winn-Dixie were bare bones when I went.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Our gas burners should light with a match. Not so for the oven I don't think so I have baked brownies and am currently baking a pone of cornbread to go with my collard/black eyed pea soup!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Beef stew, pasta figoli , chili, salisbury steak with noodles, beef with noodles, noodles with noodles ,lasagna, pizzas, spanish rice, gnocchi, ..........................................:icon_hu ngry:
Noodles with noodles! Love it!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We cooked turkey and chicken, packaged in individual serving sizes and put in the freezer so we could just thaw and eat. Same with veggie bacon. I love my veggie bacon!
Old 09-10-2017, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I would consider cooking before the hurricane
Old 09-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
We cooked turkey and chicken, packaged in individual serving sizes and put in the freezer so we could just thaw and eat. Same with veggie bacon. I love my veggie bacon!
I have never heard of veggie bacon. Can you describe it, please?
Old 09-10-2017, 02:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Morning Star product. Looks like, tastes like bacon. Two slices have 60 calories and 2-1/2 fats.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Have pork roast in cooking s-l-o-w-l-y and just put together twice baked potatoes and using frozen corn, creamed spinach and baked apples. Will toss a salad.

Guests are watching football..
Old 09-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Have pork roast in cooking s-l-o-w-l-y and just put together twice baked potatoes and using frozen corn, creamed spinach and baked apples. Will toss a salad.

Guests are watching football..
Gracie, dear. I LOVE creamed spinach. I wish I could say my husband did as well.
Old 09-10-2017, 02:55 PM
Sage
Default What was I thinking??

As you read on, you can tell this is my first hurricane experience. When planning food, I thought of all the yummy things I could cook for these next few days to a week so I went to the store and bought them......ribs, pork chops, chicken and perhaps some tastey baked goods when I was bored. Now that reality has set in, I realize that that was mighty ambitious of me.

We have prepared for this storm for 4 solid days....multiple trips to the grocery store....after going 3 times we still thought of things we'd like to have...... after making up our minds that this hurricane was living up to what the meteorologists claimed it would be we went out after dinner and bought plywood for the windows and waited for two hours to have it cut, it took 1 1/2 days to put it up (much more work than I ever care to do again), removed everything from our lanai and transferred it into the living room or garage, rearranged the garage to make room for it al, pumped the pool down twice already and l and got all the clothers washed so we wouldn't have to run the washer if power was lost.

After letting this all sink in and having friends and family call us to say that we were in their prayers and they were thinking of us.....reality set in. This is real and everything I did I felt like it may be for the last time. My mind is foggy from not sleeping well due to anticipating the storm and the last thing I want to do is prepare a large meal. I must admit, soup and sandwiches sounds real good right now. I believe I have learned a lot from this pending storm already.

Everyone stay safe and we will see you after this nerve racking, stomach twister, nail biter of a storm passes.
Closed Thread

Tags
garlic, celery, potatoes, soup, onions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.