What is your funniest cooking mistake?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2015, 03:27 PM
Sage
Default What is your funniest cooking mistake?

Ok, I'll start. The first year I ever cooked a turkey I didn't know they stored the giblets and neck inside the turkey. I cooked the whole bird and later when I went to serve it I sliced into a paper sack. Stuck my hand in and pulled out a paper sack full of cooked giblets! I was mortified.

Second funny one is my husband's entire family was coming to our house for Thanksgiving dinner. I had two turkeys cooking one in my wall oven and one in the electric roaster. The turkey in the wall oven was a little too big for the oven and I decided to pull the latch you use when you are going to clean the oven to make the door close better. I pulled the latch and forgot about it.

Later I smelled something burning! By pulling that latch it had turned the oven up to 550 degrees and it had gone into oven cleaning mode! By engaging that latch it was locking the oven door and it couldn't be reopened! My husband and his brother got out the tools and had to take the oven door off in order to save the turkey. I was so embarrassed.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran member

as a newlywed, I made spaghetti sauce for first time and I followed a recipe.. it called for two cloves of garlic.. I put in two bulbs.. I called my Mom to ask her why the garlic was floating on top of the sauce... 40 yrs later I can still hear her yelling to my Dad... "Bill, Bill, listen to what your daughter did!'.. she was laughing the whole time..
Old 11-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Sage

Way back when . . . went to a meeting at a contractor's office and was asked to wait for a few minutes in their break room. Poured a cup of coffee and added creamer from a plain plastic pourable container; took a sip and discovered that the creamer was kitchen cleanser!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Really great guy, a doctor even. My mom would have been so happy. First time to my house. Decided to fix loin of pork on the bbq (back in the day of charcoal, which I still prefer), grilled asparagus with lemon and garlic, fettuccini, lovely green salad. Had everything timed to the second. Dinner should have been ready by our second glass of wine. Checked the grill. Little heat, meat not even remotely cooked. Finished the salad. Not even the garlic bread had grilled! Couldn't figure out what the problem was. Another glass of wine. Still nothing cooked. added more coals, fired everything up again. Still not getting hot. An hour of pure frustration and embarrassment. FINALLY dawned on me that I'd forgotten to open the bottom vents. Not sure why, but that was our last date.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-25-2015, 07:04 AM

Trying
Old 11-25-2015, 08:50 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Used baking soda rather than baking powder.

Nuf said.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Eternal Member

Many moons ago I decided to make blueberry pancakes. Mixed the batter in my trusty blender, then put in the bluberries. Low and behold, purple pancakes.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Sage

I have two: First one was Thanksgiving...had invited some family members over. Made turkey w/all the trimmings. Went to take the turkey out and the oven was set at only 225* (turkey not done of course) so we cranked it up with a meat thermometer. Can't remember if we sat and ate the other stuff first or just extended the time til the turkey was done. That was over 40 yrs ago.

Next time: was going to make chocolate chip cookies. Took out the 1st batch and decided to have a taste test which was ....euuuuwww, blach, ick!!! I'd stored some canning salt in a tupperware container but didn't label it...thought it was sugar! Luckily I was the one who tried the batch first. Had to make a grocery run to get the needed ingredient!

Live and learn!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:35 PM

as a newlywed about 30 years ago, I wanted to be a good wife and so packed my husband's lunch every day. We used to reuse margarine tubs for leftovers. One day my husband called at lunchtime highly amused - I'd sent him to work with a pear and a tub of margarine!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Default Turkey

Many years ago as a one month new bride i had never ever cooked anything except hamburgers, TV dinners, etc.My college roommate and her husband were in town for thanksgiving and I invited them for the festive dinner. I called my mother in a panic and she told me that the easiest solution was to buy a pre stuffed and pre basted bird that I could just put it in the oven.She didn't tell me I had to take the plastic wrapping off.
I threw the bird in the oven and turned it on as the guests arrived. Immediately we took them on a sightseeing tour and returned home to a smelliy smoky apt.
We went out for dinner and it took me forever to scrape the melted plastic off the inside of the oven.
I must have thought the plastic wrapping had something to do with the pre basting.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:20 PM
Platinum member

Taking a perfectly good recipe, used many times and trying to improve on it. Very bad idea. Man did I hear about it.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Veteran member

When we were first married, I was cooking for the new relatives. Everyone was coming to our house for Thanksgiving and I was doing the whole spread. Got up Thanksgiving morning, turned on the oven and poof, the heating element burned out. Thankfully, the local grocery store was open and sent hubby to get an oven thermometer. We ended up cooking the turkey by turning the broiler on to get the oven temperature up, turning off the broiler, etc. Did this for about six hours. Kept my fingers crossed and the turkey came out wonderful. Ended up having to bake the rolls, etc. in the oven in our camper. Yes, that was a Thanksgiving to remember.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Sage

Stuck a wooden spoon in the blender blade. My son cherishes with glee the memory of me with avocado dip on my face and hair.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

When I worked in GE customer service we got at least 1 self-cleaned turkey every year.
Of course, the customers always blamed the range, not their own stupidity.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:31 PM

One yr while helping with the dinner I was whipping the potatoes when my hair somehow got caught in the beaters. Good thing it was long and someone pulled the plug as it was winding it's way up to my scalp. What a mess.
Closed Thread

Tags
oven, turkey, latch, cooked, door, sack, paper, wall, pulled, giblets, cooking, order, close, forgot, smelled, make, clean, embarrassed, pull, save, burning, decided, degrees, locking, cleaning

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.