what is your go to???

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Default How are things in guacamole. . .

If you want to serve guacamole, I suggest making a run to the Farmers Market here.

There you will find a vendor who is making the guacamole right there in front of you. They also make salsa and sell bags of chips to go with.

Their guacamole is really good. They sure know how to choose an avocado.

If you do this though, I would suggest serving it fairly quickly because it is fresh and can turn brown sooner than the stuff in those little tubs in the grocery, in the case with the hummus.

I have not been to the Farmers Market for a while, but I assume the guacamole people are still a part of it. The Brownwood market is on Saturday. There is also a Farmers Market on Thursday at Spanish Springs. I think they might be there, too. Maybe somebody here will know for sure.

You could make a pitcher of sangria to go with the guacamole and chips. There are lots of ways to do that. I soak fruit in Grand Marnier. -- I used to use brandy. -- After the fruit has soaked for a while, fill the pitcher with wine and gently mix. Give it a little time to blend all those flavors in that pitcher.

I serve the sangria in glasses not quite full and have the guests top their own drinks with a little club soda or 7 Up or both. That way they can adjust it to their own sweetness. Also by serving it that way, you don't lose that little bit of sparkle that gets lost if you put the club soda or pop in the pitcher. -- The sweetness of your sangria will, of course, vary by the wine choice, too. I used to use Lambrusco. But now I like a drier wine. You can make white wine sangria, too. White sangria can be pretty wonderful when fresh peaches are in season.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
If you do this though, I would suggest serving it fairly quickly because it is fresh and can turn brown sooner than the stuff in those little tubs in the grocery, in the case with the hummus.
If you put a tablespoon of mayo in the guac, it will retain its color. Or do what is supposed to be the best method: cover the top with water. It doesn't mix with the guac but does keep the air off of it.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
If you put a tablespoon of mayo in the guac, it will retain its color. Or do what is supposed to be the best method: cover the top with water. It doesn't mix with the guac but does keep the air off of it.

Thank you. I must remember this. The Farmers Market guac is so good. When it is just us, I am the one who really, really likes guac a lot. And I can't eat it all at once. . . Well, actually, I probably could, but. . .
Old 04-06-2015, 06:00 PM
Location: Lived in Chatham for 3 years. Moved to Mira Mesa in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
We always laughed when someone would ask for soda, we thought they wanted soda water. If they say pop, we say what kind.
I'm from western Ma and we always called it soda; no mater what the flavor. Never heard it called pop until I visited my son in Oregon.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Location: Lived in Chatham for 3 years. Moved to Mira Mesa in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
When I was a kid in New England they called all soda Tonic. You would see signs "Tonic and Grinders" ie soda and subs.
I'm from New England. Western Ma and we always called it soda; all flavors.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernster View Post
I'm from New England. Western Ma and we always called it soda; all flavors.

In eastern MA it's called tonic.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

POP is what we always called it in Western Pa.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles42 View Post
POP is what we always called it in Western Pa.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 AM
Default Pop or soda?

Somewhere out there in cyberspace, there is a map that shows what regions of the country say which -- pop or soda. (Actually, I think there is a thread deep in the TOTV archives that has that map in it.)

I like learning about regional dialect and colloquialisms.

I would try to find the map for those who are interested, too, but I am on my iPad and I have never learned how to link on my iPad.

So anyway, people have actually drawn a map of this pop or soda thing. It's out there somewhere.

Laurie Pop..............Laurie Pop, Laurie Pop, Ohhhhh, Laurie, Laurie, Laurie, Laurie Pop!
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Somewhere out there in cyberspace, there is a map that shows what regions of the country say which -- pop or soda. (Actually, I think there is a thread deep in the TOTV archives that has that map in it.)

I like learning about regional dialect and colloquialisms.

I would try to find the map for those who are interested, too, but I am on my iPad and I have never learned how to link on my iPad.

So anyway, people have actually drawn a map of this pop or soda thing. It's out there somewhere.

Laurie Pop..............Laurie Pop, Laurie Pop, Ohhhhh, Laurie, Laurie, Laurie, Laurie Pop!

That's funny. But now I will be singing that song all day!
Old 04-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Sage

Last week I made a meatloaf recipe with crackers but baked them in a cupcake pan. One lb made nine meaty "cupcakes". It tastes better than it sounds. And at 350 only took 20 minutes to bake. I used the Fresh Market chuck for $3/lb. So I'm going to keep an eye out for 3 more cupcake pans. There's lots of toppers, cheese, mushrooms, jalapenos, shallots........................................
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.