What's your favorite thing to make in your Instapot?

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM
Sage
Default What's your favorite thing to make in your Instapot?

I just got the small one for Christmas. I realize there are lots of recipes on Pinterest but would like to know what are your favorites so far. My sister said she makes sweet potatoes in it in 10 minutes. I assume you can also do squash.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Any protein we come out tender, and in very little time. What is your favorite meal in oven or stovetop. Get Pinterest recipe split your meal between oven and instapot and compare.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:03 AM

You can do a dozen perfect hard boiled eggs in 6 minutes. Put in cold water bath afterwards and the shells slide right off.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaffeb2 View Post
You can do a dozen perfect hard boiled eggs in 6 minutes. Put in cold water bath afterwards and the shells slide right off.
Sounds great! I take deviled eggs to parties sometimes. Thanks for the tip.

I just bought a six quart one to be delivered soon. I was wondering if you make soup in yours? I love making soup.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:15 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Favorite is Orange chicken.

Hard boiled eggs in 6 minutes works great, but also soft boiled in 3 minutes and shells come off easy. Always do eggs on low pressure, quick release and into cold water to stop cooking.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:31 PM
Gold member
Default Be sure to read directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post

I just bought a six quart one to be delivered soon. I was wondering if you make soup in yours? I love making soup.
That insapot is merely an electric pressure cooker. While I do not own the instapot I do own and use several pressure cookers. I expect the directions and the recipes are about the same.

AN IMPORTANT CAUTION-while the pots are sold as 6 qt, i expect like a pressure cooker it says to use it HALF FULL so a 6 qt is only 3 qt usable. You may find trouble locating a recipe for pea, lentil or any bean soup. The reason is that they tend to expand in cooking and people who do not read directions can get into trouble over filling the pot.

Any of the tough meats such as pot roast, corned beef come out great in a pressure cooker so I will assume the same is true of the insapot.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
That insapot is merely an electric pressure cooker. While I do not own the instapot I do own and use several pressure cookers. I expect the directions and the recipes are about the same.

AN IMPORTANT CAUTION-while the pots are sold as 6 qt, i expect like a pressure cooker it says to use it HALF FULL so a 6 qt is only 3 qt usable. You may find trouble locating a recipe for pea, lentil or any bean soup. The reason is that they tend to expand in cooking and people who do not read directions can get into trouble over filling the pot.

Any of the tough meats such as pot roast, corned beef come out great in a pressure cooker so I will assume the same is true of the insapot.
Good advice when pressure cooking, but pressure cooking is not all the Instant Pot does.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:57 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Soup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post

As stated elsewhere, I do not own an insapot but do regularly use a pressure cooker-I have four of them. Cooking three different dishes in three pressure cookers at the same time is an adventure.

To soups-a peas soup, lentil soup etc in a pressure cooker is 22 minutes for the peas or beans to cook. Celery, Carrots, onions cook for 7 minutes. So what you do is soak the beans for at least an hour to wash off the surface starch. You put the beans into your soup stock for 22-7=15 minutes after you reach pressure then you cool pot. Using a pressure cooker you put it under cold water.
For the instapot read directions. One you are certain the pressure is gone you remove the top add the vegetables and bring the pot back to pressure for 7 minutes.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:08 PM
Sage

I’m also awaiting the arrival of an Instant Pot. Mom had this gigantic pressure cooker when we were kids....used on the stovetop. A menacing piece of cooking equipment and it took both Mom and Dad to get it working. The new electric pressure cookers appear less menacing and considerably safer when used according to directions.

Daughter-in-law uses hers for cooking beans, soups, grains...she’s vegan. We’ll be using it more for an omnivore diet.... There are lots of recipes online and there are also Facebook Instant Pot groups where people share recipes, hints, etc. Daughter-in-law says once you use it a few times, you will easily set up cooking menus, but must remember the capacity limits of your particular machine. Looking forward to trying some of the delicious plant based foods she makes....quickly and easily.

Now, what’s the recipe for orange chicken???
Old 01-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

When I got my Instant Pot, I was able to retire my 46-yr-old Miro 4-quart old-fashioned pressure cooker for which I can no longer find replacement parts easily. BTW, I had no trouble making bean soups in a 4-quart pressure cooker. Our favorite was a vegetarian lentil soup that had a tablespoon of brown sugar in it, plus a tablespoon or two of tarragon vinegar added at the end. No need to pre-soak the lentils, either--just rinse them.

I can brown things in the Instant Pot, add other ingredients, and then switch to slow cook. It takes the place of two kitchen appliances in our cottage-of-little-storage-space.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
When I got my Instant Pot, I was able to retire my 46-yr-old Miro 4-quart old-fashioned pressure cooker for which I can no longer find replacement parts easily. BTW, I had no trouble making bean soups in a 4-quart pressure cooker. Our favorite was a vegetarian lentil soup that had a tablespoon of brown sugar in it, plus a tablespoon or two of tarragon vinegar added at the end. No need to pre-soak the lentils, either--just rinse them.

I can brown things in the Instant Pot, add other ingredients, and then switch to slow cook. It takes the place of two kitchen appliances in our cottage-of-little-storage-space.
I have a 40 year old pressure cooker that I have also retired. I have always loved using it just a little afraid the older it got. Really looking forward to using my instapot.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:52 PM

Just got my 8QT InstantPot a few weeks ago. So far I've made 3 things and have enjoyed all of them.

The first was Beef & Broccoli which I made for Xmas dinner - I was really taking a chance as my first meal. The only thing I would change on that recipe was to use low salt soy sauce because it was a bit on the salty side but really good!

The second meal was Stuffed Peppers. I loved the fact that I didn't need to cook the rice first like in a traditional recipe. The only thing I would change with that recipe have some extra tomato sauce to use after they cooked, they needed a bit more.

The third meal was mac & cheese which turned out great! The only thing I would change is add more pepper.

All three meals were easy and fast. So far I'm loving the InstantPot!
Old 05-11-2018, 07:04 PM

I like making cheesecakes in mine.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:06 PM
Veteran member

I have an 8 quart Instant pot. I can cook 2 pounds of soaked beans in nine minutes. Then let it slow release pressure.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:30 PM

Our favorite recipes are from the Pressure Luck Cooking website: Mushroom Soup, Meatballs, and Butternut Squash Risotto. Also have made cheesecakes, chocolate lava cakes and rice pudding from others on Youtube.
Closed Thread

Tags
makes, sister, favorites, sweet, squash

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.