Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2008, 02:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Re: What's Your Pitch In?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
I've had several different things that I've taken to pot lucks over the years ranging from fresh bread (machine) to mashed potato casserole to a meatloaf party to a sensational pork 'n beans dish. However, the first neighborhood party we had here, I brought a smoked turkey breast. I injected Italian dressing into the meat and marinated it in same for a time, then rubbed it down with chili powder before smoking. Now I have to bring the damned turkey whenever there's a get together.
Munc.

You and your damned turkey are on my short list to be invited to a Pitch-In next time we are in TV. Sounds YUMMY!
Old 06-23-2008, 02:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Muncle

Don't wait for another pot luck to make that turkey of yours. And don't forget I live just a hop, skip, and a jump! Or should I say not far as the crow (turkey?) flies?
Old 06-23-2008, 04:36 AM
Veteran member

Boomer-I understand your Miracle Whip vs. Mayonnaise contest that you had in your house. We are a two condiment family still after 23 years! I could never get my husband to switch to real mayonnaise, and I can't stand the taste of Miracle Whip. (it tastes like mayonnaise that has gone bad!)

I usually take my easy to make jello salad to a pot luck. One large container of Cool Whip, one large container of cottage cheese (I usually use the small curd because I like the consistency better), one large package of lime Jello, and two cans of pineapple tidbits drained. Throw it all together in a bowl and mix it up. Voila, you are done. Throw it in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 10 minutes if you are in a hurry and you are ready to go to the party! You can use sugar free too! Change up the jello and fruit and you get a whole new taste, but I like the lime and pineapple combo the best.
Old 06-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1
I usually take my easy to make jello salad to a pot luck. One large container of Cool Whip, one large container of cottage cheese (I usually use the small curd because I like the consistency better), one large package of lime Jello, and two cans of pineapple tidbits drained. Throw it all together in a bowl and mix it up. Voila, you are done. Throw it in the fridge for an hour or the freezer for 10 minutes if you are in a hurry and you are ready to go to the party! You can use sugar free too! Change up the jello and fruit and you get a whole new taste, but I like the lime and pineapple combo the best.
I make a similar salad with the only difference is that I add chopped walnuts and ch9pped celery. Gives it a chewy texture. Really yummy......b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 AM

Been watching this topic come up for days and had no idea what it was about. Since "In the Kitchen" is not my thing I ignored it. Finally curiosity got the best of me. POT LUCK!!! Now I understand. I usually go to the grocery store and buy something already made ;D. My husband takes cherry tomatos, punctures them with a toothpick, covers them with vodka, adds some tobasco and leaves them in the refrigerator to soak for a day or so. Serve them with a side of celery salt to dab in if desired and toothpicks to pick them up with.
These are called Bloody Marys on a stick.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschuler1
Boomer-I understand your Miracle Whip vs. Mayonnaise contest that you had in your house. We are a two condiment family still after 23 years! I could never get my husband to switch to real mayonnaise, and I can't stand the taste of Miracle Whip. (it tastes like mayonnaise that has gone bad!)
ss,

What a perfect description of Miracle Whip. Mr. Boomer converted me to Hellman's long ago and I have never looked back.

I guess I had better be careful. This is such a nice thread. I sure don't want to turn it into one of those awful internet flame wars. Condiment vs. condiment. My, my. Could get ugly. (But, ss, you are so right about which one is best.)

Hope,

Those tomatoes! Whoda thought! What a great idea! And it could not get any easier! And if you use those fancy toothpick to pick them up with, why, my oh my, an elegant presentation, too. I'm trying it. I will try to wait until we are either having company or going to a Pitch In. But, you know what? Maybe I should do a practice run.

Boomer

Old 06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Talk about mayonnaise stirs up memories. I remember back to when I was about 4 or 5 years old. Such a long time ago but some memories stick with me no matter how old I get. I would be tucked in bed, prayers said, kisses and hugs given, lights out, and then it would hit...the hankering would get the best of me every night.

I can only imagine how my sisters must have groaned when they heard my plea...coming from this little one tucked in bed. I wanted a mayonnaise sandwich! Nothing else but mayonnaise on bread. Mom would usually delegate my bedtime craving request to one of my older sisters who would make it for me and bring it to me in bed. Today, I think how awful it would be to sleep on crumb covered sheets but it didn't bother me one bit back then.

To this day I savor the memory of how good that simple sandwich tasted. I'm laughing because it wasn't mayonnaise but Miracle Whip and to this day, unless a recipe specifically calls for real mayo, I use Miracle Whip.

Yum!

Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 PM

I am sooooooooo hungry and this topic is killing me.

A friend of mine had a craving for mayonnaise sandwiches when she was pregnant with
one of her kids. I'd never heard of them before, but I love mayonnaise.
New Jersey
Old 06-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Platinum member

njgranny....meeeee toooooo!

I grew up in Ohio and a "normal" sandwich in our household was peanut butter and mayonnaise -- and it had to be Hellman's. My dad and I would feast on PB & M sandwiches on grocery shopping day (when the bread was really soft and fresh). My mom didn't much care for PB, so it was a special treat just for the 2 of us.

To this day, whenever I'm feeling under the weather, nothing perks me up like a PB & M! If you love mayonnaise sandwiches you might want to give it a try. It's yummy! :bigthumbsup:
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Judy

Sounds strange but I like PB and I like mayo so it may work for me. I'll try it one of these days.

My daughter had a friend who loved PB and brown sugar sandwiches. I tried it once and I have to admit it was delicious. However, I wouldn't eat PB/brown sugar sandwiches on a regular basis.

My favorite PB/jelly sandwich isn't that odd...add sliced bananas to it.

I think we have hijacked this thread....lol.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightspot01
...I wouldn't eat PB/brown sugar sandwiches on a regular basis.

My favorite PB/jelly sandwich isn't that odd...add sliced bananas to it.

I think we have hijacked this thread....lol.

Attention Traffic Cops :cop: :cop: :cop:
We are discussing different kinds of finger sandwiches for the Pitch In/PotLuck! LOL We can cut off the crusts and make an assortment of fancy mayonnaise sandwiches -- some plain, some with PB, some with brown sugar, bananas, honey.... even some with Miracle Whip. A potluck with a mayonnaise sandwich theme would be unique, that's for sure! (But we'd definitely have to include some of those Bloody Mary tomatoes)
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You're a riot, judy... ;D
Old 06-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Sage

Peel a whole fresh pineapple, cover it with a cinnamon/brown sugar mixture and grill it over coals or fire until the sugar mixture browns or glazes. Slice and serve. It is wonderful.
If you don't want to grill, just slice the peeled pineapple, cut it in long slices, cover with the
sugar/cinnamon and broil on high til it bubbles/glazes.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass
Peel a whole fresh pineapple, cover it with a cinnamon/brown sugar mixture and grill it over coals or fire until the sugar mixture browns or glazes. Slice and serve. It is wonderful.
If you don't want to grill, just slice the peeled pineapple, cut it in long slices, cover with the
sugar/cinnamon and broil on high til it bubbles/glazes.
This sounds wonderful and easy. But I have never figured out how to pick out a really good fresh pineapple. What's the secret?

Boomer
Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Here's a good site with valuable pineapple info...

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-if-a-Pineapple-Is-Ripe
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.