Where's the beef?

Closed Thread
Old 03-20-2021, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Publix for small 2 lb brisket, Walmart for those big 14 lb briskets, it may not have the choice grade but after 14 hours either in a smoker or electric pot soft as butter. There's also a guy that ships from South Florida that you could probably Google I get their emails every day and if I remember it I'll send it to you, he has choice grades of all the better cuts, but if you want sirloin tips Publix has a good butcher in each store. I've also done bone in beef rib once or twice in the smoker and it's been perfect. Now I don't do it so much as my heart doctor doesn't let me
It's not so much the tenderness because as you said, cooking anything long enough will get you there. It's the marbling. Tender _AND_ Juicy. It's also why I've started the beef tallow routine. It really does bump it up a notch, even with a Walmart brisket, which the one in the video above was purchased from.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

Malsua....I learn something new every day. "Open mind and close mouth and learn." I love smoking meats, but I have never used a pellet smoker...You got that puppy really wired up on UTube.

I have a propane smoker and use it often. Being from Eastern North Carolina, we'uns just love our smoked pork. I usually brine my pork over night and then smoke it at 215 to 230 degrees until the internal temp of the pork is about 190. I smoke it for about 5 hours for a 5lb butt. After the first 3 hours, I spray it every hour with apple juice. Good enuf to slap yo momma. I'll have to try your style some time.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
There's a place up in Summerfield that I keep meaning to try, but I haven't yet.

Florida Fresh Meat click here

By the way, your previous video on cold-smoking cheese prompted me to try it. Thanks. Now I have my brother doing it.
Your new avatar's making me sad, Ecuadog.
Old 03-20-2021, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
So I recently smoked my last NJ brisket using beef tallow as a kicker. We're moving full time to TV in a few weeks. You can see that cook here: Smoking a brisket on a pellet smoker using beef tallow. - YouTube

Where do you BBQ folks buy your cuts? Pork ribs are easy. Full size beef ribs, full packer briskets, and some others aren't as easy to find.

I scouted briskets last time I was in Sam's club and they seem to be ok but never cooked one. I'd be interested in buying at least something graded equal to or better than a choice grade.

So, where do you buy your big cuts?
There are Restaurant Depots in Tampa, Orlando and Kissimmee. I use them in MD, as I generally do 15 butts and 5 briskets a month.

They have full packers of varying grades.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:02 AM

Steak tips (flap meat) found it at BJs in Clermont
Old 03-20-2021, 08:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill Meister View Post
Malsua....I learn something new every day. "Open mind and close mouth and learn." I love smoking meats, but I have never used a pellet smoker...You got that puppy really wired up on UTube.

I have a propane smoker and use it often. Being from Eastern North Carolina, we'uns just love our smoked pork. I usually brine my pork over night and then smoke it at 215 to 230 degrees until the internal temp of the pork is about 190. I smoke it for about 5 hours for a 5lb butt. After the first 3 hours, I spray it every hour with apple juice. Good enuf to slap yo momma. I'll have to try your style some time.
I have been around offset smokers although I've never owned one. Fire management, to me, is not worth it. Don't get me wrong, it produces the best results. I have been tending fires for 3 decades now. In fact, there is a wood fire burning in my living room as I type this. For many years it was our sole source of heat and in 2012, we added a boiler, so now it is supplemental but still 3+ cords a year. I've done it enough, I don't want to deal with it for food! I can set a temp and let it go and it holds it. Perfect for me.

We're going to be full time in TV in 2 weeks, so maybe I'll look at wood again, but for now, I hate dealing with fires and tending a fire for 14 hours to smoke a brisket doesn't sound like fun.

As to wires, while a lot of folks cook by feel and look, I like to add sensors . I lack the confidence of established BBQ cooks and I've been in technical fields my entire life, so it's a fit for me. I know sensors well. I started off in the medical field and measuring now is just different meat .

As to spraying, apple cider vinegar 50/50 with water is my go to, but it really makes a difference.

When it comes to the pellet smoker, I use the extra smoke tube on beef and use the natural smoke generated by the pellets on chickens and turkey. A brined turkey breast on the pellet smoker is now our Thanksgiving bird of choice. It comes out amazing! This last Thanksgiving our igniter died on the oven 10 minutes after starting the bird. I suggested putting it in the smoker, the wife reluctantly agreed. We've since done one more we loved it so much.

Pork butts also get the tube, but I leave it off for ribs.

Hauling the smoker down April 7, so I can get on with it at the TV house.

These Zgrills aren't very expensive but this one has been great. I know there are much better ones, but this got me into the game and my meats have been awesome.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny56 View Post
A lot of users on this site talk about Best Meats in Wildwood. They say they are very good. Here is some info:

Best Meats is located at 330 S Main St. Wildwood FL or you can call us and place your order on Ph: 352.748.2355 Our Store Hours are 8am to 6pm

You can call them to find out exactly what they have. I am sorry, I have not experience with them, so I can't say one way or the other about them.
I've tried them and wasn't impressed. Needed ground pork to make sausage. They ground it for me on the spot but I keep finding bone fragments in my sausage.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
So I recently smoked my last NJ brisket using beef tallow as a kicker. We're moving full time to TV in a few weeks. You can see that cook here: Smoking a brisket on a pellet smoker using beef tallow. - YouTube

Where do you BBQ folks buy your cuts? Pork ribs are easy. Full size beef ribs, full packer briskets, and some others aren't as easy to find.

I scouted briskets last time I was in Sam's club and they seem to be ok but never cooked one. I'd be interested in buying at least something graded equal to or better than a choice grade.

Good luck, tried to get pork cutlets. Looked at me like I was nuts
Old 03-20-2021, 08:45 AM

We use gaffs in Deland. A bit of a drive but they have great meats and a real butcher.
Old 03-20-2021, 01:53 PM
Default Meat choice

We like Fresh Market. They have actual butchers, great choices of product and can wrap it for storage in the freezer. Second choice is Sams and Publix.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Sams will have whole briskets graded choice. My smoker is too small to do a whole so I have to cut it in half.
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, full, cuts, buy, ribs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.