Where's the beef?

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2021, 02:24 PM
Veteran member
Default Where's the beef?

So I recently smoked my last NJ brisket using beef tallow as a kicker. We're moving full time to TV in a few weeks. You can see that cook here: Smoking a brisket on a pellet smoker using beef tallow. - YouTube

Where do you BBQ folks buy your cuts? Pork ribs are easy. Full size beef ribs, full packer briskets, and some others aren't as easy to find.

I scouted briskets last time I was in Sam's club and they seem to be ok but never cooked one. I'd be interested in buying at least something graded equal to or better than a choice grade.

So, where do you buy your big cuts?
Old 03-19-2021, 02:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
So I recently smoked my last NJ brisket using beef tallow as a kicker. We're moving full time to TV in a few weeks. You can see that cook here: Smoking a brisket on a pellet smoker using beef tallow. - YouTube

Where do you BBQ folks buy your cuts? Pork ribs are easy. Full size beef ribs, full packer briskets, and some others aren't as easy to find.

I scouted briskets last time I was in Sam's club and they seem to be ok but never cooked one. I'd be interested in buying at least something graded equal to or better than a choice grade.

So, where do you buy your big cuts?
Florida does not seem to offer what the rest of the country does. I for one would love steak tips but if you ask you get blank looks as they don’t know what you are talking about.
Old 03-19-2021, 05:41 PM

A lot of users on this site talk about Best Meats in Wildwood. They say they are very good. Here is some info:

Best Meats is located at 330 S Main St. Wildwood FL or you can call us and place your order on Ph: 352.748.2355 Our Store Hours are 8am to 6pm

You can call them to find out exactly what they have. I am sorry, I have not experience with them, so I can't say one way or the other about them.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny56 View Post
A lot of users on this site talk about Best Meats in Wildwood. They say they are very good. Here is some info:

Best Meats is located at 330 S Main St. Wildwood FL or you can call us and place your order on Ph: 352.748.2355 Our Store Hours are 8am to 6pm

You can call them to find out exactly what they have. I am sorry, I have not experience with them, so I can't say one way or the other about them.
Thanks. I'll add it to the list of places to check. I appreciate it!
Old 03-19-2021, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Florida does not seem to offer what the rest of the country does. I for one would love steak tips but if you ask you get blank looks as they don’t know what you are talking about.

While I know what they are, I also know that you won't find them in my part of NJ either. Our NJ house is in Vernon, NW part of the state where the ski slopes are. I think steak tips are more New England.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,937 Times in 5,277 Posts

We normally buy meat at Sams. Have been to Best Meats once and will be going back.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We normally buy meat at Sams. Have been to Best Meats once and will be going back.
I try to smoke something special several times a month, at least when it's warm, so it's nice to get a good cut of something. Since warmth won't be an issue as much, I suspect the wife will start hating me

That said, we were at our TV house on Christmas day and it was 30 degrees for 3 hours. The horrors
Old 03-19-2021, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

We haven't moved there yet but there is an outfit that sells meat at the Farmer's Market in Brownwood on Saturdays. I asked if they sold briskets and they do. Both trimmed and untrimmed.

If you find a good place for beef ribs post it up..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 03-19-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,009 Times in 451 Posts

There's a place up in Summerfield that I keep meaning to try, but I haven't yet.

Florida Fresh Meat click here

By the way, your previous video on cold-smoking cheese prompted me to try it. Thanks. Now I have my brother doing it.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
There's a place up in Summerfield that I keep meaning to try, but I haven't yet.

Florida Fresh Meat click here

By the way, your previous video on cold-smoking cheese prompted me to try it. Thanks. Now I have my brother doing it.
I'll add that one to the list as well.

Awesome on the cheese! We keep a block of cheddar in constant rotation. I tried smoking some Mozzarella a month or so ago. I had picked up part skim by accident but went with it anyway. What I can tell you is that the smoke flavor is very strong and both my wife and I hated it but there's a twist.

That one was in the sealed bag for 3 weeks. We took it out, tried it(she gave it to the dog) and then I took it to work 2 days later. I had a few guys try it, they all agreed the flavor was strong, but liked it. I was perplexed, so took another bite. It was much milder.

In a do-over, I'm going to give it 90 minutes on heavy smoke, 2 weeks sealed then leave it somewhere it can breathe taking pains to make sure it doesn't melt or dry. I think the smoke cannot penetrate as well, so the surface was covered in bitter smoke particles and those need to come off before it gets to the milder smoke flavor. It may also just need a month in the bag and some breathing time after.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:37 AM

There is a meat packer/slaughterhouse on 475 north of the Villages on the left just before the junction with the new road - it's easy to miss 'cos it's down a little track - they will do anything you want and will take special orders - I'm a big fan of offal and it's the only place I've been able to buy it. Not cheap but good. Doesn't look like a regular shop but just go in the door in the unit and they will help you out ...very nice people. The place in Bellvue is called Bellvue meats - doesn't do everything but often has a deal on Groupon for steaks.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
We haven't moved there yet but there is an outfit that sells meat at the Farmer's Market in Brownwood on Saturdays. I asked if they sold briskets and they do. Both trimmed and untrimmed.

If you find a good place for beef ribs post it up..
I would be careful with the guy at Brownwood....they have very good (organic) meat but it is very expensive......I have gotten most of my smoking meat at Publix or Sams but will be trying Best Meats soon
Old 03-20-2021, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

Best to stay in NJ if you want brisket.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:27 AM
Veteran member

Publix for small 2 lb brisket, Walmart for those big 14 lb briskets, it may not have the choice grade but after 14 hours either in a smoker or electric pot soft as butter. There's also a guy that ships from South Florida that you could probably Google I get their emails every day and if I remember it I'll send it to you, he has choice grades of all the better cuts, but if you want sirloin tips Publix has a good butcher in each store. I've also done bone in beef rib once or twice in the smoker and it's been perfect. Now I don't do it so much as my heart doctor doesn't let me
Old 03-20-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwirish View Post
Best to stay in NJ if you want brisket.
I'm not from NJ. I'm only escaping it and staying in occupied territory is never an option.
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, full, cuts, buy, ribs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.