At your direction, made purchases at Fresh Market.

Closed Thread
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default At your direction, made purchases at Fresh Market.

CFrance, I bought malted milk balls because you mentioned them and they have much more chocolate and not as much malted center as I remembered from my childhood.

Marianne, I bought some roasted chicken salad and they insisted I taste it and it IS yummy. Someone suggested I buy cheese there so I bought my favorite, Brie and it wasn't expensive like I was expecting. Fresh Cod was on sale so we will try that tonight. It does smell like Lulu is back in town and fish isn't supposed to smell, but we will see.

Henry bought ribeye steaks and hamburger, buy one get one today. I looked three times at a cherry pie, but I promised Helene I would make vanilla cream pie for supper.

I love that people made suggestions about what they like at Fresh Market. I really enjoyed shopping there today and the "cocktail bar" lights didn't faze me at all.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:35 PM
Default cod

I think it is cod that tastes great but smells up the house. It was either cod or haddock that my husband told me never to cook again when he was in the house! Does anyone have any hints for getting rid of the fishy smell during cooking?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
CFrance, I bought malted milk balls because you mentioned them and they have much more chocolate and not as much malted center as I remembered from my childhood.

Marianne, I bought some roasted chicken salad and they insisted I taste it and it IS yummy. Someone suggested I buy cheese there so I bought my favorite, Brie and it wasn't expensive like I was expecting. Fresh Cod was on sale so we will try that tonight. It does smell like Lulu is back in town and fish isn't supposed to smell, but we will see.

Henry bought ribeye steaks and hamburger, buy one get one today. I looked three times at a cherry pie, but I promised Helene I would make vanilla cream pie for supper.

I love that people made suggestions about what they like at Fresh Market. I really enjoyed shopping there today and the "cocktail bar" lights didn't faze me at all.
I bought the Cod in the week and cooked it tonight. While it was defrosting it I could smell it and was concerned, but after cooking it outside in the garage there was no smell (thank goodness) and it was excellent.

I was in Publix today - new season asparagus at $2.99 lb, they have Matlaws New England style stuffed clams on sale again bogo - two packs of 6 clams each package for the price of one. If you like stuffed clams these are excellent and a good size. They also had some new items in the right back corner in the Veggie section. Some stuffed mushrooms, veggies with Goat Cheese to cook yourself, looked interesting, will have to examine more next time I am in there. It's all good!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-11-2018, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
I think it is cod that tastes great but smells up the house. It was either cod or haddock that my husband told me never to cook again when he was in the house! Does anyone have any hints for getting rid of the fishy smell during cooking?
I hate cooking fish indoors, the smell puts me off eating it. I have a variety of electric cooking appliances and I cook out in the garage. Tonight I must admit I deep fried my cod in batter and it was good. I have a small deep fryer which I originally purchased for fries, but I cannot make good fries so I gave up.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 08-11-2018, 04:26 PM
Sage

not sure why this message came to me. I'm not rich enough to shop at Fresh Market. i can barely afford Publix!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opmoochler View Post
I soak fish in milk before I cook it.

(I have a nose like a hound dog. Also, I am not bashful about asking the person behind the counter to let me give the fish a sniff before I buy it. — Even when it passes my sniff-test, the fish still gets a milk soaking.)

Last edited by Boomer; 08-11-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The cod at Fresh Market is excellent and reasonable when on sale. I cook it on the grill after wrapping in tin foil with a little butter and garlic. Also worth mentioning is their shrimp which is wild caught and very fresh. Shrimp on the barbie is the best.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I soak fish in milk before I cook it.

(I have a nose like a hound dog. Also, I am not bashful about asking the person behind the counter to let me give the fish a sniff before I buy it. — Even when it passes my sniff-test, the fish still gets a milk soaking.)
I do too. Tonight I soaked it in milk and chardonnay for a couple of hours and then rolled it in a mixture of cornmeal. flour, thyme, paprika, garlic powder, old bay seasoning, dry mustard and salt and pepper. Cooked it in a quarter cup of cooking oil, five minutes on each side. It was moist and good on the inside with a nice crisp coating. Not fishy at all. Served it with sweet baked beans and cauliflower, apple, cheese, dried cranberry salad dressed with ranch with a tablespoon of sugar added.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-12-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 05:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

After reading these post I want fish for breakfast!
Old 08-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I make a parchment paper roll in a empanada shape and bake or air fry. No smell. I sprits oil then put a layer of thin lemons under fish, and what ever herbs and thin layer of lemons, and veggie of some sort. You can plate with the paper cut into an X for a nice presentation, or just remove. No clean up, no smell
Old 08-12-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
After reading these post I want fish for breakfast!
I used to have fish 'n grits for breakfast in the upper Keys. So good.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:03 PM
Sage

Up until recently I rarely shopped F.M. but have decided it's worth paying a bit more for good quality meat. We like their broiled chickens---nice flavor and moist. Their deli is good as well. Really like the salads and sometimes they have twice baked potatoes (one will feed 2 of us). Not having a family to think about anymore, has changed how we eat at our house. Wish we were "fish people"! Fried would be my former "go to" but can't do breading due to gluten issues now. Simple/clean eating is what happens at our house.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:16 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I used to have fish 'n grits for breakfast in the upper Keys. So good.
Love grits too. Now I want grits for breakfast with fish! Fresh homemade crab cakes tonight.
Closed Thread

Tags
bought, fresh, buy, smell, market

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.