$40 million in recreation upgrades

Closed Thread
Old 06-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Default $40 million in recreation upgrades

Does any one know if this was ever done?

Villages settles lawsuit, will fund $40 million in recreation upgrades
Article Courtesy of The Orlando Sentinel
By Stephen Hudak
Published Match 9, 2008

THE VILLAGES - The powerful developer and corporations behind The Villages have agreed in a civil court settlement to pay $40 million over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation centers, swimming pools and other facilities that make the retirement community alluring.

The class-action lawsuit contended monthly amenity fees paid by every homeowner in the sprawling community of 70,000 residents had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc., the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse.

Under the settlement, the money will replenish depleted accounts used to finance facility improvements and pay pool monitors, after-hours golf ambassadors and Neighborhood Watch staff.

The lawsuit was prompted by residents like Elaine Dreidame, 64, who complained about mildew and mold in the ceiling tiles of the Paradise Recreation Center, where she played bridge twice a week.

Dreidame, who moved to the retirement community in 1999, figured "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" had money set aside to improve its oldest recreational facility.

Well, not enough, she found out.

The retired university administrator from Dayton, Ohio, grew more concerned as she began noting similar, subtle drop-offs in other services throughout the community that she affectionately calls "year-round adult summer camp."

The money is supposed to be used to maintain the golf courses, swimming pools and other comforts that make The Villages a desirable home for active, older adults.

Long-shot lawsuit

The lawsuit seemed unlikely to succeed, according to court records showing that a retired judge and six major law firms from Tallahassee to Miami declined to take it.

But the case concluded last week in Lake County, where Circuit Judge Lawrence Semento approved a settlement agreement that requires the developer to pay about $40 million over the next 13 years to replenish maintenance accounts.

The settlement also requires the defendants to pay $50,000 each to Dreidame and four other named plaintiffs and $6.7 million to the plaintiffs' brother-sister legal team, Dougald McMillan and Carol McMillan Anderson.

Carol Anderson said she took the case because she lives in The Villages.

Her brother, a practicing lawyer for 50 years, was best known for prosecuting organized crime figure Meyer Lansky.

Through their defense lawyers, Stephen Johnson and Archie Lowery, Morse and the other defendants denied any wrongdoing or misappropriation.

"[The developer] has looked at the settlement as an issue of what's good for the community," Johnson said Wednesday in court.

The settlement includes confidentiality and nondisparagement clauses, which prevent the parties from discussing the case or criticizing Morse or The Villages.

'David and Goliath'

Donald Maciejewski, a Jacksonville lawyer who has handled mass-plaintiff air-disaster cases, called the lawsuit a "true David and Goliath" case, citing the defendants' financial strength.

In an affidavit submitted to the judge to justify attorney fees, Maciejewski said the novelty and complexity of the case suggested that the plaintiffs' chances for success were "virtually zero."

He also pointed out that McMillan and Anderson were "a last resort."

Dreidame had said that if the siblings wouldn't take their case, "she was going to drop the issue . . . and get back to enjoying retirement," Maciejewski said.

Anderson praised Morse and his lawyers, saying the settlement proves they have the community's best interest at heart.

Tee-time limits

The settlement also includes other provisions that can be classified as uniquely The Villages, including limits on the number of tee times that can be reserved by the developer's sales staff for prospective customers.

The developer also will provide money to widen six miles of golf-cart paths to better accommodate bicyclists, joggers and roller-skaters.

The agreement also creates a resident-controlled "Amenity Authority Committee" that will have a louder voice in the use of amenity fees.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaringg View Post
Does any one know if this was ever done?

Villages settles lawsuit, will fund $40 million in recreation upgrades
Article Courtesy of The Orlando Sentinel
By Stephen Hudak
Published Match 9, 2008

THE VILLAGES - The powerful developer and corporations behind The Villages have agreed in a civil court settlement to pay $40 million over 13 years to cover improvements and repairs to recreation centers, swimming pools and other facilities that make the retirement community alluring.

The class-action lawsuit contended monthly amenity fees paid by every homeowner in the sprawling community of 70,000 residents had been misused by The Villages of Lake-Sumter Inc., the Village Center Community Development District and developer H. Gary Morse.

Under the settlement, the money will replenish depleted accounts used to finance facility improvements and pay pool monitors, after-hours golf ambassadors and Neighborhood Watch staff.

The lawsuit was prompted by residents like Elaine Dreidame, 64, who complained about mildew and mold in the ceiling tiles of the Paradise Recreation Center, where she played bridge twice a week.

Dreidame, who moved to the retirement community in 1999, figured "Florida's Friendliest Hometown" had money set aside to improve its oldest recreational facility.

Well, not enough, she found out.

The retired university administrator from Dayton, Ohio, grew more concerned as she began noting similar, subtle drop-offs in other services throughout the community that she affectionately calls "year-round adult summer camp."

The money is supposed to be used to maintain the golf courses, swimming pools and other comforts that make The Villages a desirable home for active, older adults.

Long-shot lawsuit

The lawsuit seemed unlikely to succeed, according to court records showing that a retired judge and six major law firms from Tallahassee to Miami declined to take it.

But the case concluded last week in Lake County, where Circuit Judge Lawrence Semento approved a settlement agreement that requires the developer to pay about $40 million over the next 13 years to replenish maintenance accounts.

The settlement also requires the defendants to pay $50,000 each to Dreidame and four other named plaintiffs and $6.7 million to the plaintiffs' brother-sister legal team, Dougald McMillan and Carol McMillan Anderson

Carol Anderson said she took the case because she lives in The Villages.

Her brother, a practicing lawyer for 50 years, was best known for prosecuting organized crime figure Meyer Lansky.

Through their defense lawyers, Stephen Johnson and Archie Lowery, Morse and the other defendants denied any wrongdoing or misappropriation.

"[The developer] has looked at the settlement as an issue of what's good for the community," Johnson said Wednesday in court.

The settlement includes confidentiality and nondisparagement clauses, which prevent the parties from discussing the case or criticizing Morse or The Villages.

'David and Goliath'

Donald Maciejewski, a Jacksonville lawyer who has handled mass-plaintiff air-disaster cases, called the lawsuit a "true David and Goliath" case, citing the defendants' financial strength.

In an affidavit submitted to the judge to justify attorney fees, Maciejewski said the novelty and complexity of the case suggested that the plaintiffs' chances for success were "virtually zero."

He also pointed out that McMillan and Anderson were "a last resort."

Dreidame had said that if the siblings wouldn't take their case, "she was going to drop the issue . . . and get back to enjoying retirement," Maciejewski said.

Anderson praised Morse and his lawyers, saying the settlement proves they have the community's best interest at heart.

Tee-time limits

The settlement also includes other provisions that can be classified as uniquely The Villages, including limits on the number of tee times that can be reserved by the developer's sales staff for prospective customers.

The developer also will provide money to widen six miles of golf-cart paths to better accommodate bicyclists, joggers and roller-skaters.

The agreement also creates a resident-controlled "Amenity Authority Committee" that will have a louder voice in the use of amenity fees.
Yes. The money has been used for the intended purposes. Several individuals were awarded large amounts as well. Some of us think this lawsuit was unwarranted. I have never seen any recreation facilities not in good repair and we owned here during this event.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-22-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Sage

As the last sentence states, "The agreement also creates a resident-controlled "Amenity Authority Committee" that will have a louder voice in the use of amenity fees." This group carries on today for the area north of CR 466.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
As the last sentence states, "The agreement also creates a resident-controlled "Amenity Authority Committee" that will have a louder voice in the use of amenity fees." This group carries on today for the area north of CR 466.
To me the difference between the North of 466 and the south of 466 is evident.

I hope the OP will further explain his reason for posting this old news.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:49 PM

Why do I need a reason. Just trying to find out how things work here. I am sure that you have an answer.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaringg View Post
Why do I need a reason. Just trying to find out how things work here. I am sure that you have an answer.
Try searching this site........
Old 06-23-2017, 07:27 PM

I find the news interesting and useful information since I just bought here. Many different opinions, but the "Amenity Authority Committee" should be a good thing that came out of it.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:49 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Some people dig up old posts just to start the Mud slinging also. As far as I'm concerned things are just fine and when something needs to be fixed and the right people are notified it's taken care of.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I understand that many topics and questions have been asked and answered many, many, many times since the beginning of talkofthevillages. However, as TV continues to grow and old memories fade, both new and old posters will be asking these same questions over and over again. They should be encouraged to ask questions about the history of TV and to discuss their thinking about things in TV. In time and we should give them time, they will become better citizens of TV. So, to the posters who are probably tired of these same questions and topics I say, give people a break or just take a break.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I understand that many topics and questions have been asked and answered many, many, many times since the beginning of talkofthevillages. However, as TV continues to grow and old memories fade, both new and old posters will be asking these same questions over and over again. They should be encouraged to ask questions about the history of TV and to discuss their thinking about things in TV. In time and we should give them time, they will become better citizens of TV.

So, to the posters who are probably tired of these same questions and topics I say, give people a break or just take a break.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

Improvements abound. Don't overlook the six inch golf cups.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Wink

Perhaps a tutorial on the SEARCH function as part of a new member orientation would be beneficial. Or, maybe that's too logical.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Perhaps a tutorial on the SEARCH function as part of a new member orientation would be beneficial. Or, maybe that's too logical.
Maybe. However, as most threads are closed over time, you can’t ask a question unless you start a new thread. As I recall from my learning days, questions were always encouraged.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I understand that many topics and questions have been asked and answered many, many, many times since the beginning of talkofthevillages. However, as TV continues to grow and old memories fade, both new and old posters will be asking these same questions over and over again. They should be encouraged to ask questions about the history of TV and to discuss their thinking about things in TV. In time and we should give them time, they will become better citizens of TV. So, to the posters who are probably tired of these same questions and topics I say, give people a break or just take a break.
The OP appears to be angry with the recreation department and it's director, John Rohan and has told us he is not allowed to use the recreation facilities because he "touched an employee".

The OP is not new to The Villages.

It is not uncommon for many people, after having lived here for several years to form the opinion that this is indeed a very nice place to live. Many of us develop kind of a "home town" loyalty to this area and it's inhabitants and feel defensive when there is what we consider to be unwarranted criticism.

Not me. I blindly worship The Morse Family and everything they do.

GRACE GANTNER.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The OP appears to be angry with the recreation department and it's director, John Rohan and has told us he is not allowed to use the recreation facilities because he "touched an employee".

The OP is not new to The Villages.

It is not uncommon for many people, after having lived here for several years to form the opinion that this is indeed a very nice place to live. Many of us develop kind of a "home town" loyalty to this area and it's inhabitants and feel defensive when there is what we consider to be unwarranted criticism.

Not me. I blindly worship The Morse Family and everything they do.

GRACE GANTNER.
Sorry, I many times forget who posts what, when and where. Now, your name does seem to ring a bell.
Closed Thread

Tags
settlement, villages, case, community, lawsuit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.