10% water surcharge a cynical money grab?

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Pretty typical. A "shortage" is declared and customers/users are requested/required to reduce consumption - which they do. Then, a surcharge is introduced because revenue diminishes. Duh!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-25-2017, 05:17 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putt4Dough View Post
Just to get facts straight, the SWFWMD declared a phase III water shortage and asked us to limit irrigation of lawns to 1 day per week.

The 10% surcharge on water use, started on June 5 and was mandated the local utilities,

In The Villages, that would be Village Center Service Area, Little Sumter Service Area, the North Sumter County Utility Dependent District, Sumter Water Conservation Authority, and Fenney Water Conservation Authority. I wonder who owns these utilities?

Obviously, these people have historical rainfall data, and also have our monthly water bill and usage data.

Everybody knows the rain starts coming usually in June, and continues through the summer months.

So the Villages water utilities know rain averages, they know that usage goes way down in the summer because that's when it rains, and they put a 10% surcharge on our bills "to incentivize conservation"

I turned off my sprinklers 2 weeks ago and they will stay off as long as it rains every few days. We don't need a 10% surcharge at this time of year and they know this, it's just a grab for more money.
I have expressed my concerns regarding the water districts since moving here. Those residents that have for whatever reason have sworn a fealty to all things The Villages will adamantly disagree and call you a complainer. etc.

you are right they have a monopoly on water which is a natural resource belonging to us all. they should be reimbursed fairly or keeping water pure and getting to our faucets .

How they can reconcile allowing two water bottling companies open access to our water supply continue to rapidly expand and yet have the audacity to demand residents conserve is beyond me.

and who foots the bill we do with a three tier rating system along with continuing base charges

what a racket
Old 06-25-2017, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
I receive my water bill Friday. My water usage for the period was almost the same as the previous month. The charge was within a couple of dollars. This tells me two things. (1) The 10% surcharge was not applied. (2) The meters were not read. The usage had to be an estimate. I turned my sprinkler system off June 1st. There should have been a significant reduction in usage.
Check your reading dates. Mine was for period ending 6/9 and I shut mine off 6/1 also. Mine was down from the previous month with only a few less watering days. Down 1500 gals.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Check your reading dates. Mine was for period ending 6/9 and I shut mine off 6/1 also. Mine was down from the previous month with only a few less watering days. Down 1500 gals.
My billing period ended 6/13. I shut my sprinklers off 6/1. Two weeks without running my sprinklers should have shown a more significant decrease.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
My billing period ended 6/13. I shut my sprinklers off 6/1. Two weeks without running my sprinklers should have shown a more significant decrease.
I should get my new bill soon will check and report.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:38 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I have expressed my concerns regarding the water districts since moving here. Those residents that have for whatever reason have sworn a fealty to all things The Villages will adamantly disagree and call you a complainer. etc.

you are right they have a monopoly on water which is a natural resource belonging to us all. they should be reimbursed fairly or keeping water pure and getting to our faucets .

How they can reconcile allowing two water bottling companies open access to our water supply continue to rapidly expand and yet have the audacity to demand residents conserve is beyond me.

and who foots the bill we do with a three tier rating system along with continuing base charges

what a racket
I read in the paper the other day that we are not to worry as a water bottling company hasn’t started bottling their allocation of water. And, they will be assessed a 10% surcharge like everyone else to make them conserve water. The paper also stated that we should have no worries about water as we have a good supply of it.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I read in the paper the other day that we are not to worry as a water bottling company hasn’t started bottling their allocation of water. And, they will be assessed a 10% surcharge like everyone else to make them conserve water. The paper also stated that we should have no worries about water as we have a good supply of it.
Did the article say to what water authority the water extractor will pay the surcharge? Do you know if the extraction point in within the boundary of any Villages water utility?

I believe that the SWFWMD had declared the water emergency but was not assessing the surcharge; but, that the surcharge was imposed by the Villages water utilities.

Whatever the paper - something sounds quite deceptive!

Old 07-28-2017, 05:44 PM

I was under the impression that the water we use on our lawns goes straight into the ground and then is recycled back for use on lawns again.

Although we don't get as much rain as Orlando, Ocala or other parts of Central Florida, much of the water in our immediate area no doubt works its way into our aquifer. Makes me wonder if w we have a Tropical Storm or worse yet a hurricane come along and dump tons of water on us if they will still maintain the water restrictions?
Old 07-28-2017, 06:54 PM
Gold member
Default I'm not defending anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTY Sparky View Post
I was under the impression that the water we use on our lawns goes straight into the ground and then is recycled back for use on lawns again.

Although we don't get as much rain as Orlando, Ocala or other parts of Central Florida, much of the water in our immediate area no doubt works its way into our aquifer. Makes me wonder if w we have a Tropical Storm or worse yet a hurricane come along and dump tons of water on us if they will still maintain the water restrictions?
I did attend the open government meeting re: the water bottler and it was packed. Before going I did a little bit of research and by accident, I found an old article, that the Villages received a variance for the increased water usage.
Several people spoke and said things like they can't take our water. The government people politely said we need to get our own expert. Far as I know nothing was done but to complain.

Far a rain replenishing the aquifer-it is not at all that simple. The water is between grains of sand. When you remove the water the space between the grains of sand gets smaller so it simply cannot hold as much water as it used to. We have all seen the result of water removal-SINK HOLES.

As to how much water we can extract. Like most things there is no magic line.

Oh, far as the rainy season, we've already received enough rain above normal, to more than make up for the mini dry spell in the early part of the year.

TRUTH-Over the past two months I've run my irrigation system ONCE in the past two months. The reason was that the guy that mows my lawn had an emergency and did not mow for two weeks. Then he cut it back to normal height-A MISTAKE. I confess I watered because I did not want my lawn to go into shock.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We are at about 60% of normal rainfall for the last 12 months to date. From the 2nd week of October 2016 to June 1 2017, it was very dry. June was a good month at over 9 inches but July is looking to be below normal. I am not surprised that the watering restriction has been extended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Oh, far as the rainy season, we've already received enough rain above normal, to more than make up for the mini dry spell in the early part of the year.

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-28-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The surcharge for the most part seems to be working but there are those who still don't care. They water in the daytime, when it's raining, several days a week or haven't had their system looked at in ages and more water runs down the street then goes on the lawn. IF you've dropped down to once a week and adjusted your time the water portion of your bill certainly went down. My consumption last month was 1000 gallons down from 11,000 gals the previous month and my lawn looks fine.
Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

If we are really having a water crisis to the point of adding a surcharge to existing homes, why would they approve another 20,000 plus homes drawing from the same water table?

This is nothing more than a money grab. And we as voters allow it. Vote for candidates who will either remove the surcharge or stop allowing additional homes built and not vote to allow bottling plants.

One or those or all of those has to be wrong.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Just for a moment, if you cut back as was suggested ( a lot have not cut back ) your lawn is surviving and your paying less. So is that such a bad thing? Basically if you followed the suggestions and cut back and your lawn is just as green you saved water and money at the same time. If you kept everything like it was your paying more because of the surcharge. Surcharge was imposed to encourage people to cut back on wasteful usage and if you didn't you paid more. As far as other homes being built it will continue, the bottling plant it was reported on another post it's not pumping yet.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:16 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Just for a moment, if you cut back as was suggested ( a lot have not cut back ) your lawn is surviving and your paying less. So is that such a bad thing? Basically if you followed the suggestions and cut back and your lawn is just as green you saved water and money at the same time. If you kept everything like it was your paying more because of the surcharge. Surcharge was imposed to encourage people to cut back on wasteful usage and if you didn't you paid more. As far as other homes being built it will continue, the bottling plant it was reported on another post it's not pumping yet.

Operative word being YET. Because it will and when they do it will make the problem worse. And I did cut back and had the system completely gone over to resolve any problems. Doesn't change the fact that building more homes and adding the water plant will do nothing but make the issue worse.

Waiting until you can't water and lose $30,000 worth of sod is just not smart.
Old 07-29-2017, 01:04 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Marion and Lake county get water from the same aquifer but are in another water district (St. Johns) with different rules and regulations. Sooooo it depends on where you live in The Villages how many times a week you can water your lawn. Since water is coming from the same aquifer, these restrictions make no sense unless they apply to every residence in all three counties.

Tags
water, 10%, surcharge, sumter, conservation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.