10 year old AC

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2019, 08:57 AM
Gold member

If you install a new A/C do it in the winter time. You get better deals then because their looking for work.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
If you install a new A/C do it in the winter time. You get better deals then because their looking for work.
This is true in normal areas. But, not so sure it holds in The Villages!
Old 08-28-2019, 03:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

To be prepared set the money aside for a new one in case it breaks. I think you should go for 15 years or longer. Maybe decide what you would want for a replacement now and update your thinking as the years go buy.
Remember parts break and repairing them can still be worth the costs.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:41 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

If it's not broke don't mess with it. 12-15 years is normal. 18 years (which I did twice) is lucky
Old 08-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Veteran member

Thank you everyone......really informative posts. Although I was told ten years, hopefully I be lucky enough to get extra years out of it.
Old 08-28-2019, 04:37 PM

When replacing, consider Amana. Lifetime warranty parts and labor the one time I replaced at another house.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2019, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
Next year our AC will be ten years old, and that means our warranty expires. From what I understand, you can't get another warranty on an AC unit because it's ten years old. I've heard from AC techs that I should start getting prepared to have the unit replaced because they don't last much longer than that, and, if I replace it before the warranty runs out, I'll get a deal on the next warranty(I think it was $900 at the time). Has your AC died around the time the ten years is up, or do they keep going longer than what I'm hearing from techs and others?
You may want to listen to the home show on 96.5 FM Sunday mornings. You can call in and get a reply from their experts.
If, I recall it is protech AC.

According to what I think I know-not an expert-the life of a central AC system is about 15 years. The is Florida, you likely have a heat pump so you are running it all year long.

Then their is the efficiency rating. Ours, installed by the builder is 6 years old and it is marked SEER 15. We were in Fenny an I looked they are still using SEER 15. You can be sure that as the unit ages it no longer is as efficient as it once was.

As to your warranty running out after ten years. We did not take the extended warranty that they sold to you. You might want to price one of the companies that all of your appliances.

As to saving for a replacement that depends on how you think, how you handle money. You can, set up like the old Christmas club kind of thing where you save so much a month into your AC fund. If, you are paying too much income tax and get a refund every year, you can put that money into an AC account.
Closed Thread

Tags
warranty, ten, years, unit, techs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.