14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
If there is humor in any of this .... all of the "migration out" could have been stopped by any functional leadership .... its too late now. They are already here.
What does NYs “remain in place order” mean if they allow hundreds of airplanes to leave every day?

I guess that’s one way to lessen the burden in NY.

Come to think of it, I have not heard FL Gov Desantis publicly asking for thousands of ventilators but NY Gov Cuomo has been publicly demanding every day that 30,000 more ventilators are needed in NY.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
One point I think many may not be aware of: one big reason NY is such a "hot spot" for Coronavirus is that they've been TESTING much more aggressively than most places. More tests = more positives. I suspect it's nearly as bad here already, we're just not doing much testing yet.
Nope! Population of NYC as percentage of USA approximately 2.4% but death from Covid -19 in NYC is approximately 22% as percentage of total USA today. (Whether or not they were tested.)

If you were there, wouldn’t you want to get the hell out of there?
Old 03-25-2020, 04:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Nope! Population of NYC as percentage of USA approximately 2.4% but death from Covid -19 in NYC is approximately 22% as percentage of total USA today. (Whether or not they were tested.)

If you were there, wouldn’t you want to get the hell out of there?
Yes, I would. But this is a textbook case of why we need to ENFORCE quarantines.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

The title of this thread is incorrect, the self quarantine requirement is not for people who have been in New York City. It is for all people arriving to Florida on a plane that took off from an airport in the states of New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut. We have not been to NYC for many years, and if I get my way I will never go there again. We also don’t live in any of these three states, we live in an extremely rural part of western Massachusetts where we can stay home for an entire weekend without a car going by our driveway. However, this restriction effects us since the only airport close to us, that has direct flights to Orlando, is in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. I understand the need to be safe and we don’t want to fly anytime soon, but this restriction is not well thought out and is ridiculous. What if there was an emergency that required us to get to our Villages home, how could we even get from the airport to our home and then pick up some food while in self isolation? The Florida governor screwed up big time by not closing spring break venues and is now overcompensating to try to save face.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:38 PM

I agree. I was also thinking about going down to my home in TV when my school closed here in Long Island NY. But there was no way I would take the chance and travel whether it be by plane or car. I've been in my house and haven't left. My daughters did the food shopping for me. I can't understand why anyone would take the chance. You cant drive without stopping to use bathrooms, and you can't avoid not being around people at the airport. People don't listen and make their own rules and this is part of the problem. And this is why it's spreading . Also because of the HIPPA laws, you can't disclose information on someone who has it. When you work in a big school like I do, it doesn't help to hear that a person in a particular dept. tested positive and week or so later through the grape vine. We all walk the same halls, go to the same faculty cafeteria and use the same restrooms. This is a big problem. You are not contacted unless you were in immediate contact with the person. NY needs to stay home!! Be well and stay safe.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Good question and where would they isolate when they arrived? I think I'd stay put.
Isolate in the home you are going to. If you are going to visit someone, you are a fool and an ass. Really kinda simple if one was to use what is called a brain.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:03 PM

The virus is airborne for short term and planes recirculate air in a small space. I would not fly now unless all passengers and crew recently tested negative. Ain't going to happen in Florida. Florida doesn't test unless you have strong, definite symptoms.
IMHO they should be testing everyone working in food service, health care, about to fly or travel in confined spaces, or service businesses in contact with the public. Identify the positives and order them to self-quarantine or modify their plans until they are safe. High risk contact activities.
Right now projections for the ability of Florida to handle the pandemic load are terrifying.
The virus survives on surfaces for hours or days also. We will travel by car or gc for the time being.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvic 1 View Post
The Villages need to STOP issuing Visitors Pass until things get back to normal....
Especially those coming here from New York and staying with Grandma'.
With all the rec centers closed, how would one get a Visitor Pass ?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKoca View Post
Apparently they are flying in without being tested, and without even being told to self isolate for 14 days. WESH 2 news interviewed people last night who said they flew in from New York, were not tested here, and were not even told about self isolating for 14 days. When we called the Orlando Airport and asked them what they are doing about this, they said "nothing." That makes no sense at all.
They are now, this action was first taken in the Florida hotspot areas (Dade, Broward and West Palm Beach) and is now being rolled out to less affected areas
Old 03-25-2020, 08:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
The virus is airborne for short term and planes recirculate air in a small space. I would not fly now unless all passengers and crew recently tested negative. Ain't going to happen in Florida. Florida doesn't test unless you have strong, definite symptoms.
IMHO they should be testing everyone working in food service, health care, about to fly or travel in confined spaces, or service businesses in contact with the public. Identify the positives and order them to self-quarantine or modify their plans until they are safe. High risk contact activities.
Right now projections for the ability of Florida to handle the pandemic load are terrifying.
The virus survives on surfaces for hours or days also. We will travel by car or gc for the time being.
Projections from what source? The media is trying to keep you as scared as possible for many reasons
Old 03-25-2020, 08:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
The title of this thread is incorrect, the self quarantine requirement is not for people who have been in New York City. It is for all people arriving to Florida on a plane that took off from an airport in the states of New York, New Jersey, or Connecticut. We have not been to NYC for many years, and if I get my way I will never go there again. We also don’t live in any of these three states, we live in an extremely rural part of western Massachusetts where we can stay home for an entire weekend without a car going by our driveway. However, this restriction effects us since the only airport close to us, that has direct flights to Orlando, is in Windsor Locks, Connecticut. I understand the need to be safe and we don’t want to fly anytime soon, but this restriction is not well thought out and is ridiculous. What if there was an emergency that required us to get to our Villages home, how could we even get from the airport to our home and then pick up some food while in self isolation? The Florida governor screwed up big time by not closing spring break venues and is now overcompensating to try to save face.
If you had to come here and self quarantine there are many restaurants doing free delivery and Publix delivers.. We are all in this together as well as the over 65 community in The Villages. DeSantis killed spring break very quickly despite what you read in Massachussetts
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM

There is nothing you need a visitors pass for. Nothing is open requiring a pass..
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipops View Post
There is nothing you need a visitors pass for. Nothing is open requiring a pass..
I thought the same thing but someone said GOLF and PICKLEBALL is. Hopefully after the infected pickleballer spread his Covid all around the court they will close that too.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:57 PM

The next wave of exodus from Democrat/controlled high-tax states will undoubtedly be accelerated by their recent scary demonstrations of poor controls over public health, followed by their heavy-handed governmental lock downs. People of means will use their assets to protect their a** by moving south. It’s a good thing TV has already planned for massive expansion. FL could flip blue pretty soon.
Old 03-26-2020, 03:08 PM
Gold member

Villagers won’t get Visitor’s Passes. Those are basically for activities and with the exception of golf all the rest is shut down
Closed Thread

Tags
distancing, absurd, isolation, plane, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.