14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2020, 05:48 PM
Platinum member
Default 14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC

How can anyone maintain social distancing on a plane?
Or self isolation?

This gets more absurd by the minute.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage

Good question and where would they isolate when they arrived? I think I'd stay put.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:25 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Good question and where would they isolate when they arrived? I think I'd stay put.
They are already here, plane loads of New Yorkers coming down every day, they showed the flight numbers arriving in Orlando last evening on the news. These people should not have been allowed on planes period until this is over, they left mandatory isolation to get here do they really think they will voluntarily isolate themselves, I think not. Now the Governor wants Floridians over 65 to self isolate for 14 days, this is really getting out of hand.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Or self isolation?

Well, you can't do it on a plane obviously although a lot of them are flying 1/2 full so maybe somewhat.

The issue is this: lots of NY refugees come to TV and the very first thing they'll do is go to Walmart, Publix, etc and stock up. It's almost inevitable they will spread it.

De Santis quarantining those arriving by air is a good move. But, to be effective, Cuomo or De Blasio would have to lock down the city.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Stop planes coming from the Northeast. New Yorkers are taking advantage of the cheap flights plus they want to escape the quarantine. SO.... stop the flights.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaninVA View Post
Well, you can't do it on a plane obviously although a lot of them are flying 1/2 full so maybe somewhat.

The issue is this: lots of NY refugees come to TV and the very first thing they'll do is go to Walmart, Publix, etc and stock up. It's almost inevitable they will spread it.

De Santis quarantining those arriving by air is a good move. But, to be effective, Cuomo or De Blasio would have to lock down the city.
Lots of them will fly to Atlanta and drive here, if they learn they are required to quarantine if they come directly from New York.

Thing is - there's nothing to DO in Florida, while Florida is in the middle of its own shut-down process. If they're coming south to escape the virus in the north, then they're just bringing the virus with them. We already have it here - we don't need more of it.

We need to shut down OUR airports.

We can't prevent people from driving over our state line - there's no way to physically do that. But we can drastically reduce the risk of infection by shutting the airports down, and ordering all hotels to cancel bookings from out-of-state visitors - and possibly even give them financial incentive to provide temporary quarantine housing for homeless Floridians.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:22 PM

The Villages need to STOP issuing Visitors Pass until things get back to normal....
Especially those coming here from New York and staying with Grandma'.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Unfortunately Florida Gov can't shut down airports just like he can't make Daylight Savings Time year round. Only the Feds can. Besides, you have to remember planes don't all come directly here then go back where they came from. Many flights travel across the country and go THROUGH here to go elsewhere. Closing the airport here would lead to a domino effect disaster for people going THROUGH here but not stopping.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 03-24-2020 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvic 1 View Post
The Villages need to STOP issuing Visitors Pass until things get back to normal....
Especially those coming here from New York and staying with Grandma'.
Except you don't need a visitor's pass to come here, only to use the facilities which are closed anyway. This isn't Russia, you don't need a pass from Mr POOTIN to visit.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Lots of them will fly to Atlanta and drive here, if they learn they are required to quarantine if they come directly from New York.

Thing is - there's nothing to DO in Florida, while Florida is in the middle of its own shut-down process. If they're coming south to escape the virus in the north, then they're just bringing the virus with them. We already have it here - we don't need more of it.

We need to shut down OUR airports.

We can't prevent people from driving over our state line - there's no way to physically do that. But we can drastically reduce the risk of infection by shutting the airports down, and ordering all hotels to cancel bookings from out-of-state visitors - and possibly even give them financial incentive to provide temporary quarantine housing for homeless Floridians.
I hate to say this, but thinking about it more and seeing yours and some other replies, what really needs to happen is the declaration of martial law in and around NYC ... and physically prevent the refugees from spreading the virus further. That is, they HAVE to stay put.

I say that with regrets because I grew up in that area and feel sorry for them.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 PM
Default Self quarantine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Or self isolation?

The idea is to self quarantine when you get here. Leaving a hot zone like NY and coming here is irresponsible.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:41 AM

We can't prevent people from driving over our state line - there's no way to physically do that. BUILD THE WALL !!!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:23 AM

In my opinion they should not be flying anywhere if they can avoid it! Why possibly expose others to this virus if they are a carrier? Of course, you cannot practice social distancing in an airplane so that's why you should not be on one.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:26 AM

Aren't NY City and State already locked down? Before the lockdown flights were reduced to 20 per day. They've crept up to 190 per day. These people would have a better chance of avoiding the virus if they stayed home and stayed inside. We're only at the beginning here.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:27 AM

I flew from St. Thomas VI last night.
Their governor instituted a 30 day closure of ALL hotel, villa, airbnb, vacation rentals in the VI.
Many businesses limit amount of people allowed in at a time. Majority of people following shelter in place.

Most people leaving STT wore gloves and masks. I watched planes come in while waiting to fly out with minimal passengers. There were 6 on one AA incoming flight. Maybe 40 passengers to Miami airport and business class had 3 people. Miami airport was basically empty. Flt. from Mia to Orlando had 30 passengers and its airport was same.
I took the Villages Airport Shuttle.
My dog and I were their only passengers. Very little traffic.
Since I travel with my 65lb dog, I can only fly on BOEING aircrafts.
Planned on returning on Wednesday but AA called me on Monday at 9:30 pm to advise that unless I took Tuesday flight, I wouldn't be able to travel with my dog as they were instituting a travel embargo on pets in cargo on Wednesday.
Was glad to make it back.

Both flights announced to passengers that if they weren't traveling with family, they were welcome to spread out in the empty seats.
Y'all be safe.
Closed Thread

Tags
distancing, absurd, isolation, plane, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.