14 day self-isolation for those who have been in NYC

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
i'd like to make 1 small point during this whole event: there is a small segment of our population, that when faced with draconian methods of restriction, will simply rebel. i saw a story about 1 of these states that has been on severe lockdown, & the young people are no longer participating. they became fed up with the mass restrictions & are now gathering in large groups @ beaches, etc, in direct defiance of the law. (the students far outnumber police, btw) they participated @ 1st, but increasing steps limiting contact pushed them over the brink, & now they are doing as they please. i'm not recommending this, just something i saw/heard reported. so, i pose the question: is there a happy medium in all of this? thx
Maybe, just maybe we have to much FREEDOM and do what ever the hell we think we can do?
Old 03-25-2020, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When you meet a New Yorker that you can direct in any way send us a picture of the person. It ain't happening!

Term Limits!
Old 03-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
They are already here, plane loads of New Yorkers coming down every day, they showed the flight numbers arriving in Orlando last evening on the news. These people should not have been allowed on planes period until this is over, they left mandatory isolation to get here do they really think they will voluntarily isolate themselves, I think not. Now the Governor wants Floridians over 65 to self isolate for 14 days, this is really getting out of hand.

I totally agree with you. People from New York and New Jersey should stay in their own state. We are full time residents in TV. What about the "landlords" here that lease their houses? How is that monitored? We, as residents, need to know who is moving in next to us.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:08 AM

Why are you calling all the people coming from NY refugees?? Maybe they are stock brokers, store owners, CEO's, etc. who have money to get out of the city.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
They are already here, plane loads of New Yorkers coming down every day, they showed the flight numbers arriving in Orlando last evening on the news. These people should not have been allowed on planes period until this is over, they left mandatory isolation to get here do they really think they will voluntarily isolate themselves, I think not. Now the Governor wants Floridians over 65 to self isolate for 14 days, this is really getting out of hand.
People getting off plane asked about self quarantine, all laughed and said no.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:37 AM

Not all are fleeing the city. I typically come down once a month to check on Dad at his assisted living facility. Even though I speak to him daily I like to see him for myself. Luckily I listened to my hunch to come early this month before visitors were banned from his facility. I did lots of hand washing and no hugs. No time in the squares,stores or visiting Dad's previous neighbors.

The governor out this into effect yesterday with no notice. Exactly how is this being enforced? What are they doing about, cars, trains and buses?

Not everyone is coming here to escape. My biggest concern is that my Dad is safe. I have no issues about not seeing him due to the risk.

Last edited by claricecolin; 03-25-2020 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Spelling and clarity
Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvelynEvagash View Post
Why are you calling all the people coming from NY refugees?? Maybe they are stock brokers, store owners, CEO's, etc. who have money to get out of the city.
Why do you think that refugees can't be stock brokers, store owners, CEOs, etc, who have money?

A refugee is ANYONE who flees for their lives from one place to another, in search of safety. The need to seek refuge knows no class or bank account balance.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:49 PM

I am a native New Yorker and have lived permanently in The Villages for 10 years so I have to agree with DeSantis and even go further to say shut down New York flights from anywhere in the country. This will all get worse before it gets better.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You shouldn't be somewhere where you have to get on a plane, if you're the one that has to get on a plane. I know you probably were already there & you have to get home. Personally I would of rented a car & I don't care if I had to drive coast to coast to get home, no way I would get on a plane right now. Also if I was that worried about it I would sleep in my car & not in a hotel on my way home. Anybody that got themselves in a situation that they have to take a plane to get home, well not trying to sound mean but just got to suck it up & quarantine yourself there or take your chances & fly home. We drove to Florida from Texas while Caronavirus was already bad & I rented a car & I wipe the whole inside of the car down with bleach water. I drove it all in 1 day there & when I came back too, a week later! In your defense, no you can't fly without rubbing shoulders with anybody or prevent from breathing recycled air in plane. I know I wasn't much help answering your question but if it's you that needs to get on a plane, you're sure got yourself in a pickle of a mess!

OP here. My post was hypothetical. I, personally, am not going anywhere and think everyone should stay home including New Yorkers. I’ve felt this way for, at least, the past 3 weeks and cringed at the cavalier attitudes of many on this board (now backpedaling) and some Villagers in general. Restaurants/bars had to be shut down to keep people away. Otherwise, they’d crowd in.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoc7 View Post
There are a lot of uninformed statements here. I'm in day 11 of 14 days of self-isolation after returning to Toronto from The Villages. There is no reason why people returning to The Villages from anywhere can't self-isolate - it isn't pleasant but it is possible as long as someone buys groceries for you. So if you are concerned, and you know a returnee, offer to buy groceries for them and leave them by the front door.
We just had groceries delivered by Instacart/ Publix left on front stoop. Pretty simple, than took to our cleaning table in garage and sanitized them the best we could.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:07 PM
Veteran member

I,m on my 3rd week of isolation and inspite of those not isolating i'll stay isolated until we get the " all clear" So far not that bad...
Old 03-25-2020, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daca55 View Post
I agree! With 190 flights a day from NY not to mention flights from other airports with NY passengers it is out of control and not fair to Floridians. The answer is to shut everything down including golf courses and beaches so there is nothing to do here for a while. Both federal and some state officials seem more worried about the economy then people getting sick. If we continue doing what we are doing now FL will be the next NY.
Unfortunately, the aged, higher-risk population of The Villages and lack of hospitals would probably make it more like Italy or Spain than NY.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:45 PM

One point I think many may not be aware of: one big reason NY is such a "hot spot" for Coronavirus is that they've been TESTING much more aggressively than most places. More tests = more positives. I suspect it's nearly as bad here already, we're just not doing much testing yet.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:55 PM

Just heard news that US military members who are stationed overseas have been ordered to “Freeze in Place” for 90 days.
The US military is trying to keep personnel where they are so movement of the virus is also restricted.

US military restricts movement of troops due to COVID-19 - Task & Purpose

NY NJ CT PA should have a similar order from Feds with flights, buses and interstate car rentals banned for awhile allowing only for very rare exceptions.

FL should announce that in-bound flights will be restricted to FL residents only for awhile & check drivers licenses.

Or do nothing. Madrid is turning their ice rink into a morgue.

Spain coronavirus: Ice rink turned into a morgue amid outbreak - CNN
Old 03-25-2020, 03:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
One point I think many may not be aware of: one big reason NY is such a "hot spot" for Coronavirus is that they've been TESTING much more aggressively than most places. More tests = more positives. I suspect it's nearly as bad here already, we're just not doing much testing yet.
Part of it ...

other factors ... DeBlasio waited too long to close schools while he kept going to the gym.

His Health Director is also apparently incompetent.

Plus, people are stacked up and squished together like sardines.
Closed Thread

Tags
distancing, absurd, isolation, plane, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.