17 sets of golf clubs stolen in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM
Default 17 sets of golf clubs stolen in The Villages

Hear this via an email. Does anyone know anything about this?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Default Old News

The thefts were reported weeks ago in the Sun.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 06-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by togabill View Post
Hear this via an email. Does anyone know anything about this?
Always be suspicious of things you hear via email. Maybe it was referring to the 17 car break-ins over in Lady Lake.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM

I also received that email - the first time about 3 weeks ago from my neighbor and then yesterday from a girlfriend. I too am suspicious of emails that are passed along listing that something happend to a friend of a friend who neighbor heard etc etc etc

The email is as follows:

Pass this along to our friends.......17 golf bags full of clubs were stolen today all over The Villages. I know this because my sister, Cathy, the one who lives past Hibiscus Rec Center, had hers and her riding friend taken from Southern Trace. They had gone to Giovannis for lunch. They had even backed their carts in and pulled down the canopy. The police said this was going on all over today
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Eternal Member

This was in the CDD4 notes for June:

There have been numerous thefts of golf clubs in the villages, however only one of those cases was reported in Marion County. We are working with the other agencies on these cases. We did make two arrests in reference to those cases. It is important to stress to the citizens that they need to lock up their valuables, including golf clubs, when they aren’t on the golf course.

Of course it does not say 17 but numerous is close to 17 or 10 or (insert number here).

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Default Just as bad as stolen clubs

Had friends from Ct here for the weekend. Their first visit. Played Bonita Pass Sunday morning and the Mrs. left her sand wedge on the course somewhere. Called the course several times over the following days but no one turned it in. No true golfer would keep a club they know belongs to someone else and that they know will have to be replaced. Very sad commentary.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,367 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clekr View Post
Had friends from Ct here for the weekend. Their first visit. Played Bonita Pass Sunday morning and the Mrs. left her sand wedge on the course somewhere. Called the course several times over the following days but no one turned it in. No true golfer would keep a club they know belongs to someone else and that they know will have to be replaced. Very sad commentary.
May be in somebodys bag and they are unaware it is there. Then to it may have been another visitor from CT.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:20 PM

1. Checked the other bags. 2. So what are you trying to say? Kind of an sophmoric comment isn't it?
Old 06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
This happens everywhere. I've been lucky to have some clubs returned and I've been unlucky. TV is no different than any place else.
Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Left my sand wedge at the chipping/pitching area at Sarasota driving range when visiting in January. called the next day no one turned it in. went back a few days later; sure enough someone had turned it in. I was pleasantly surprised. Hope your friend's club turns up.

Last edited by billmar; 06-25-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:29 PM

I agree that people in TV are no different than elsewhere. Over 30 years I also have dropped clubs and had them turned in and not turned in. I was just hoping for more from my fellow TVers. I wouldn't think of keeping something that didn't belong to me. Even if I found a Scotty Cameron putter. (Well, that might be tough ..... but I would turn it in.)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Reports regarding stolen golf clubs is the main reason I will not go from the golf course to breakfast, lunch or dinner anywhere in TV.

As for leaving a club at the course,.....Golf digest did a study and intentionally left 25 $100+ wedges at various courses. I am happy to report that 21 of the 25 were returned to the pro shop

I wish neighborhood watch would spend more time around golf courses and at town squares
Old 06-25-2011, 11:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
I agree that people in TV are no different than elsewhere. Over 30 years I also have dropped clubs and had them turned in and not turned in. I was just hoping for more from my fellow TVers. I wouldn't think of keeping something that didn't belong to me. Even if I found a Scotty Cameron putter. (Well, that might be tough ..... but I would turn it in.)
Pardon my ignorance -- I'm not a golfer - is a Scotty Cameron putter an inexpensive golf club?
Old 06-26-2011, 02:24 AM

Scotty Cameron putters start around $250 and go up quickly from there. Whenever I've seen them it is usually on TV. You may recognize them by the three rather large red dots on the back. The few golf shops that carry them generally keep them in locked, glass cases.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 AM
Veteran member
Default Label your clubs!

OK this what I tell my members, Label Your clubs! I get about 75 clubs turned in a season and maybe 30 are claimed. Golflabels.com will make you 40 mylar labels for about $10. Or take those address labels we all have hundreds of and put them on the shaft with clear tape over it. They may only last a season but it's cheap. Those with labels get returned pretty quick.

Since most of my members walk they will find a club and put it in their bag. When finished they may leave in a hurry and forget about the club until another day.

If someone finds a club they should hand it over to the Ambassador who may find the owner a few holes ahead.

If I kept every club I found I'd need a bigger garage..........

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.