It was a 1957 Plymouth.

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Gold member

1951 Chevy Coupe. I literally drove it till the wheels fell off.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Mine was a 1961 Nash Metropolitan. The Metro was sold from 1953 until 1962 and they retailed new for about $1600, I believe they were made in England.

When I was 13 in 1963 my dad was looking in the newspaper and saw a 1961 Metro for sale for $800 from a private party. We drove over to the home, which was in an expensive area of St. Petersburg and met the owner. The woman said her husband had kept it in the garage and he had passed away. It was like showroom new, so my dad bought the car immediately.

He drove the car to work for a couple of years and then two years later when I was 15 and got my learner's permit he taught me how to drive and gave it to me. It was a little tricky because I also had to learn to shift gears, it had a 3 speed shift on the column. Not the easiest form of shifting. I loved the car and drove it until 1969 when I bought a new Datsun for $1900.

Mine was green and white with a black softtop, here's a photo of a 1961 in the exact same colors and year that recently sold on Mecum Auto Auction for $37,000. This might even be the car since it matches everything. I sure wish I still owed it.

The Villages Florida
My Mother had one of these in a hardtop. Same color. I'm thinking about finding one again to take to car shows, but not for $37K.
On hers, every so often the gearshift would lock up while stopped at a traffic light and i would have to get out, open the hood and shake the linkage to get going again. Good memories.

Actually my first car was a 63 and a half Ford Fairlane with a 289 Hi Performance V8 with solid lifters. Same engine used in Cobras, Mustangs and Avanti. Had fun street dragging with that one until i got a silver '66 Corvette Stingray 427/390.

PS. There is another thread like this that was earlier this year if anyone's looking for more reading of this type. Don't remember the title but a vintage car search should turn it up.
In reality, they're different!
Old 11-16-2013, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
My sweetie and his twin shared a '57 Plymouth Fury. It was a wowser car.

Ok graciegirl I'll Bit? what is a wowser car?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Sage

1964 Rambler American. I used to park a block away from school so no one would see me driving it. But then I got a 1965 Mustang and parked right in front.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

1960 Triumph Herald convertible, red like the picture. My brother and I shared it until he refused to help me pay to fix the window in the back of the convertible top. Stubborn! Then it became mine. Drove it till 1969. It made it to University of Georgia from Pittsburgh, although it did need a new clutch 'long about mid Virginia...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	herald.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	10.7 KB
ID:	25935  
Old 11-17-2013, 05:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Moser View Post
Ok graciegirl I'll Bit? what is a wowser car?

It was new and it was beige and gold and it had fins and it had a big motor with some impressive speeds on the dash dial. It was sporty and beautiful to me.

No one in my family had a new car. Sweetie didn't drive it fast when I was in it but I think they both (his twin and him) did a bit of drag racing.

His twin put something noisy on the muffler and was always borrowing money from me to pay the fine for it.
The Villages Florida
Old 11-17-2013, 07:48 AM

Mine was a 1958 Chevy Impala SS - my parents paid $200 for it as my graduation present from high school. It was bright yellow with a kelly green interior.. My Dad said he bought it so people could see me coming down the street. It had great brakes and new tires... Loved that car! Someone t-boned me running a stop sign about 2 years later. I called my Dad from the hospital crying about the car ... Next car was the insurance replacement 1967 Plymouth with push button start - baby blue... $1000. Great memories.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

"Chevy Impala SS" 58 was the first year for the impala. 61 was the first year for the impala SS. Probably the rarest impala SS was 61 "409" . most 61 SS had 348's or 283's. I think the 327 didn't come till 62 ?if my memory is correct?

Sweet fury Graciegirl, should I say "Cristine"! Did it have 392 hemi with dual quads!!!!

Last edited by Topspinmo; 11-17-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It was new and it was beige and gold and it had fins and it had a big motor with some impressive speeds on the dash dial. It was sporty and beautiful to me.

No one in my family had a new car. Sweetie didn't drive it fast when I was in it but I think they both (his twin and him) did a bit of drag racing.

His twin put something noisy on the muffler and was always borrowing money from me to pay the fine for it.
The Villages Florida
I love that car

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 11-17-2013, 04:02 PM
Gold member

1969 Shelby GT 500
Old 11-17-2013, 04:04 PM
Gold member

OK it was really a 1963 Corvair for $100.00.
It was in 1972 and had 30,000 actual miles.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
OK it was really a 1963 Corvair for $100.00.
It was in 1972 and had 30,000 actual miles.
A Ralph Nader special!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Sage

My first car was a '53 Dodge Coronet with Fluid Drive - somewhat a semi-automatic transmission with a clutch. Great car for learning how to drive a stick - couldn't stall it! Referred to by my friends as "The Upside-Down Bathtub". Bought it for $50 bucks from a neighbor.......and then proceeded to get plowed into the first time I took it out for a drive. Bummer. Still had my temps/learners permit! A lot of hammer-and-dolly work by my dad and me, some (read: 'a whole bunch of') bondo, and an all-over paint job "ala brush" compliments of my dad as well and I was back in business again! The 'quality' of the bodywork made the side of the car look like a waffle - it certainly wasn't the best job in the world! But my dad and I enjoyed working on it together - it was a learning experience for me.

Kept the Dodge for a few years, got another car or two in the meantime, then sold it to a high school buddy as I got busy with the other cars. My dad's interest in cars and working on them got into my blood big-time......and still hasn't left these many years later!

Bill
Old 11-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
My first car was a '53 Dodge Coronet with Fluid Drive - somewhat a semi-automatic transmission with a clutch. Great car for learning how to drive a stick - couldn't stall it! Referred to by my friends as "The Upside-Down Bathtub". Bought it for $50 bucks from a neighbor.......and then proceeded to get plowed into the first time I took it out for a drive. Bummer. Still had my temps/learners permit! A lot of hammer-and-dolly work by my dad and me, some (read: 'a whole bunch of') bondo, and an all-over paint job "ala brush" compliments of my dad as well and I was back in business again! The 'quality' of the bodywork made the side of the car look like a waffle - it certainly wasn't the best job in the world! But my dad and I enjoyed working on it together - it was a learning experience for me.

Kept the Dodge for a few years, got another car or two in the meantime, then sold it to a high school buddy as I got busy with the other cars. My dad's interest in cars and working on them got into my blood big-time......and still hasn't left these many years later!

Bill
My dad too! He taught me how to help him bleed brakes because my brother wasn't interested. We had the weirdest "second" cars when I was in high school, because he loved to pick up second-hand oddballs. Besides the Triumph Herald, we had a Morris Minor and some German coupe which all I can remember of was that it said "Fahrt" on the dashboard shift indicator. Which, of course, at age 16 I and my friends thought was hilarious.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:16 PM

1952 Ford, 3 speed with overdrive, flat head V8, fender skirts. $300
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.