1st a potentially dangerous vent error now a potentially dangerous stove problem

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran member
Default 1st a potentially dangerous vent error now a potentially dangerous stove problem

My wife noticed a burning smell with the stove a couple of weeks ago after which the stove no longer worked. The serviceman said the electrical connection was melted (see pic). He said that this is most likely caused by the electrical connection not being tightened enough at installation resulting in some electrical arcs or something eventually melting the wire. I guess I should consider myself lucky that neither the vent error (see other post) or this electrical connection error resulted in a fire. My home is a new courtyard villa. Boy they really slap these things together, don’t they?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0CDD5025-1E28-440E-A4CB-95AD401318D0.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	75408  
Old 06-19-2018, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
My wife noticed a burning smell with the stove a couple of weeks ago after which the stove no longer worked. The serviceman said the electrical connection was melted (see pic). He said that this is most likely caused by the electrical connection not being tightened enough at installation resulting in some electrical arcs or something eventually melting the wire. I guess I should consider myself lucky that neither the vent error (see other post) or this electrical connection error resulted in a fire. My home is a new courtyard villa.

Boy they really slap these things together, don’t they?
Yowza!

Might not hurt to check and ensure...that your smoke detectors are working properly.

Hope your luck gets better...BEFORE the house burns down
Old 06-19-2018, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
My wife noticed a burning smell with the stove a couple of weeks ago after which the stove no longer worked. The serviceman said the electrical connection was melted (see pic). He said that this is most likely caused by the electrical connection not being tightened enough at installation resulting in some electrical arcs or something eventually melting the wire. I guess I should consider myself lucky that neither the vent error (see other post) or this electrical connection error resulted in a fire. My home is a new courtyard villa. Boy they really slap these things together, don’t they?

You've been in your house a year now? Dryer vents clog in a year.

Last edited by graciegirl; 06-19-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
First the dryer vent issue and now this electrical. I'm sorry your having such bad luck with your new home. Hopefully this will be the end of your problems.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
No. People's dryer vents become clogged here no matter what kind of "lid" they have on them. I haven't ever heard of anyone having a melted connection to an appliance.
I’m thinking they clog a lot faster when they erroneously use a screen.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:20 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Wow Bruce.....that appears to be the stove end of the 240 volt electrical cord. Whoever installed the cord to your electric stove may not have tightened the screw enough.

Unless your stove was moved out perhaps by new floor installers or new countertop installers, this was most likely like this from the build. If the stove was moved out anytime after the build, whoever moved it may have pulled it out too far, causing this. In any event, those screws should have been tight. Thankfully this is a bizarre, rare issue. Glad this worked out ok for you....but it is indeed a scare!

Frank
Old 06-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default My dryer vent...

Quote:
is only 6" long. Easy to check. No clogs or debris in over 5 years...so it's a danger depending on your vent.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Wow Bruce.....that appears to be the stove end of the 240 volt electrical cord. Whoever installed the cord to your electric stove may not have tightened the screw enough.

Unless your stove was moved out perhaps by new floor installers or new countertop installers, this was most likely like this from the build. If the stove was moved out anytime after the build, whoever moved it may have pulled it out too far, causing this. In any event, those screws should have been tight. Thankfully this is a bizarre, rare issue. Glad this worked out ok for you....but it is indeed a scare!

Frank
It was from the build Frank. It hasn’t been moved.
Still waiting to hear from Sunkool and the roofer re the vent replacement. Still waiting to hear from someone re the numerous exterior paint touch-ups. Heard from the window guy last week who never showed up on our agreed upon date to fix. We’re finding that The Villages and the contractors were much more responsive to the initial 30 day warranty repairs than the yearly stuff. Not your fault. You and your sons did a great job. It’s the follow up work that’s been a little difficult. It would also be nice to hear from the builder, Mark O’Sada, since there were two potentially dangerous screw-ups on our house.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Our experience at our house in TV. First clean out we did was after 10 years. We hired someone to do it (yeah I am lazy and helping the local economy ) and when done I asked how they were. His response was they were fine but 10 years is pushing it for some... give me a call in 5 years; I said thank you. Folks mileage may vary...

Just saying...
Old 06-19-2018, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, but stoves don't burn in a year.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Sage

Any company is only as good as its worst employee--lots of times wires creep and have to be retightened, especially if they use aluminum wire--the wire should not have loosened when moving the stove--the strain relief should have prevented it
Old 06-20-2018, 05:46 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Any company is only as good as its worst employee--lots of times wires creep and have to be retightened, especially if they use aluminum wire--the wire should not have loosened when moving the stove--the strain relief should have prevented it
You are right....but often one does not see the strain relief used....heck, I've seen the cord installed through the sheet metal with no protection at all. Luckily, once the stove is in place it typically does not move at all.

For anyone wondering, the stove is installed tight against the wall, so this cannot and is not checked. Any good Inspector checks for the Anti-tip clip of course, but this is an appliance issue....Easily once in a thousand or more stoves would have this problem. As you do not read about houses here in The Villages burning down from stove issues on a regular basis, I am guessing this was a once in a lifetime type of serious issue. Glad it ended safely.

Frank
Old 06-20-2018, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
is only 6" long. Easy to check. No clogs or debris in over 5 years...so it's a danger depending on your vent.
If I remember correctly? his dryer vent vents up through the roof, so it would about 8 feet? PLus Installed screen wire blocking any debris passing through dryer lint strainer/catcher. So with the screen and lint catcher poor at catching lint it will IMO plug up quicker than 6" outside trap door vent. IMO the roof vent should have trap door and not screen to block what ever wants to crawl in?
Closed Thread

Tags
electrical, stove, error, connection, vent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.