2 adult children and 12 year old moved in across the street.

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2020, 08:26 AM
Default 2 adult children and 12 year old moved in across the street.

My healthy neighbor has moved first 1 adult daughter, and now another adult daughter and a minor grandchild into her home. It’s been over 30 days, figure I will give it a few months. The grandchild looks to be about 12. Occasionally the daughter’s boyfriend comes to stay. It’s a 3 bedroom house, so hopefully not many more will be moving in. Besides vehicles parked on the street, they are quiet. Has anyone else seen an increase in the number of under 55 people moving into their neighborhood? I live in an established village between 466 & 466A. Who knows, maybe it is pandemic related. Not what I expected for a 55+ community. Thoughts?

Last edited by Sunflower1; 08-06-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The young one's under the age of 19 can visit for 30 days. The older one's can stay. As far as the Car parking I'm not 100% on this but I do believe there is NO overnight street parking so you may want to call the Sheriff on that one. As for the children the District Office can direct you on that one.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower1 View Post
My healthy neighbor has moved first 1 adult daughter, and now another adult daughter and a minor grandchild into her home. The grandchild looks to be about 12. Occasionally the daughter’s boyfriend comes to stay. It’s a 3 bedroom house, so hopefully not many more will be moving in. Besides vehicles parked on the street, they are quiet. Has anyone else seen an increase in the number of under 55 people moving into their neighborhood? I live in an established village between 466 & 466A. Who knows, maybe it is pandemic related. Not what I expected for a 55+ community. Thoughts?
There is, as you likely know, a prohibition on persons under 19 living in TV. Any person may visit for up to 30 days per year. So the 12 year old is allowed for up to 30 days. This rule is federal law in the definition of an adult age restricted community. Enforcement of the regulation is 100% up to the developer not the community.

There is no restriction on the number of persons 19-54 living here. There is a requirement that 80% of the homes must be owned by a person age 55+. Your neighbor's home sounds like it is owned by a senior. But I could own my home and have many young adults living in it and still be in full compliance and count toward the 80% number. I believe the only regulation TV has is that they will only issue 4 ID cards per address not that you cannot have more than 4 in the home.

As to what you can do about the 12 year old if she is a resident not a visitor.. if they are quiet and not disturbing you, one choice is to say hello and feel sorry for that child having to living in a community with no other children because of family or economic problems. Or you can complain to Community Standards after 30 days and ask for direction on how this issue can be resolved to your satisfaction. 352-751-3912

You can also email deedcompliance@districtgov.org Should you do so your email is subject to public disclosure if you care.

Here is the language on https://www.districtgov.org/departme...andardsFAQ.pdf

"Deed restrictions are declarations between the [Developer] and the Property Owner. Who can enforce the deed restrictions?
o Any property owner of any lot may seek to enforce external and internal restrictions against another property owner.
o The [Developer] may seek to enforce external and internal restrictions.
o The Village Community Development Districts through adopted Rule may enforce certain EXTERNAL restrictions that have been adopted by each Board to enforce as authorized by Chapter 190 of Florida Statutes.
If you have a concern regarding internal deed restrictions such as underage children in the home, business in the home or the like, contact the Community Standards Department at 352-751-3912 or email deedcompliance@districtgov.org and the information will be forwarded to the Developer to address. "

Notice that only the Developer is involved in internal restrictions. [I have changed the word Declarant to its equivalent = Developer] Rumor has it that the Developer has shown little or no interest in addressing this issue in the past.

Our streets are public and there is no prohibition on overnight parking unless the parking impedes emergency vehicles.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I hope you will pursue enforcing the rule regarding the 12 year old. Rules that are ignored and not consistently enforced tend to be challenged in court, and then they can become unenforceable.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

How many times in life have we jumped the gun and passed judgment on a situation before it actually happens? There has been no violation yet if I'm getting the entire picture. Maybe they are having some kind of difficulty in their family life or just had a loss and are circling the wagons to comfort one another contrary to COVID Rules or Suggestions.

Since the inventory of these quiet people has been taken perhaps there is a way you could find out how to assist them if they are having trouble instead of preparing to hammer them.

Rules are Rules I understand but these are special times. Think it through before you act. Good Luck.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I hope you will pursue enforcing the rule regarding the 12 year old. Rules that are ignored and not consistently enforced tend to be challenged in court, and then they can become unenforceable.
///
Old 08-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I have read on this forum (so who knows if it’s accurate) that TV controls the outside of a home, the developer controls the inside. In other words, good luck with that.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

At the moment have other things to worry about.The kid will be bored out of their mind and push parents to move out
Old 08-06-2020, 11:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

As to what you can do about the 12 year old if she is a resident not a visitor.. if they are quiet and not disturbing you, one choice is to say hello and feel sorry for that child having to living in a community with no other children because of family or economic problems.

Excellent advice.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Anyone can file a complaint. The person who is bothered by the situation is usually the one to do it.
Old 08-06-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Wonder how long these folks are even in the house? If not 30 days why worry about it.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Anyone can file a complaint. The person who is bothered by the situation is usually the one to do it.
I have never filed a complaint in The Villages because I don't care about lawn ornaments. But, I would file a complaint if a neighbor violated the no child rule. That rule is one of the main reasons that I moved to The Villages. If someone has a special hardship because of the virus, they could ask The Villages to waive the rule.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Nothing to report until 30 days have passed. Wait... maybe that only applies to visitors. Who would have an address somewhere else.

Last edited by Bogie Shooter; 08-06-2020 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
"There is a requirement that 80% of the homes must be owned by a person age 55+"
I believe that to be technically correct, the requirement is that one resident (not necessarily the owner) must be 55+.

Also, the no child under 129 for more than 30 days a year is a deed covenant, not part of the "law" for 55+ communities.

I believe that we need to be concise in these type conversations.

FWIW
Old 08-06-2020, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower1 View Post
My healthy neighbor has moved first 1 adult daughter, and now another adult daughter and a minor grandchild into her home. It’s been over 30 days, figure I will give it a few months. The grandchild looks to be about 12. Occasionally the daughter’s boyfriend comes to stay. It’s a 3 bedroom house, so hopefully not many more will be moving in. Besides vehicles parked on the street, they are quiet. Has anyone else seen an increase in the number of under 55 people moving into their neighborhood? I live in an established village between 466 & 466A. Who knows, maybe it is pandemic related. Not what I expected for a 55+ community. Thoughts?
Since you know that this is their adult daughters, you must know the neighbor pretty well. Wouldn’t it be easier to speak to them privately about the situation of a under 19 visiting for over 30 days.
Closed Thread

Tags
adult, grandchild, daughter, moving, moved

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.