2 car accident - roundabout by Havana

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
What happens when the person on the inside lane want to exit but the person on the outside lane does not exit at the first exit? The inside car will hit the outside car. I thought that the outside car always exited at the first exit.
Nope, the outside car can exit either at the first or second exit.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

The way I figure, as long as the outside car can pass an exit, an inside car can hit it or be hit when exiting. The outside car should exit the next exit, never passing an exit. If it passes an exit, it can cut the inside car off.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cquick View Post
I think the traffic circles are GREAT here in The Villages....there would be more "fender benders" if we had all stop signs, and even worse would be stop lights at all the entrances. everything goes quite smoothly if people just wouldn't try to "beat the other guy out" and turn signals help too.

a little patience and consideration is all the drivers need.

As an example, I was on Morse yesterday driving a nice 36-38mp( I know over the speed limit) but it seemed like I was standing still.....so many cars ZOOMED by me!

then when they got to the traffic circles, they either had to stop or sped up to get through.

Just my opinion
I'm not a leadfoot -- ask anyone in my family. During my visits to TV, I stuck to driving the speed limits on Morse, Buena Vista and 466, and I was passed many times. Felt just like I was driving in Chicago .
Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
The way I figure, as long as the outside car can pass an exit, an inside car can hit it or be hit when exiting. The outside car should exit the next exit, never passing an exit. If it passes an exit, it can cut the inside car off.
There shouldn't be anyone in the inside lane - everywhere else in the US it is illegal to make a right turn from the left lane.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 01-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Smile Second Time Around!

If for some reason when going around a circle and you can't get to the outside lane to exit the circle, just go around the circle again. Chances are that you will be able to get in that outside portion of the circle the second time around! Had to do it myself a few times! Realize you always have that option.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Fisher View Post
I think the real problem is that so many people do NOT know the rule to navigate a roundabout. If one is going more than halfway around one should use the inside lane. The outside lane is for those who are only going halfway of less than halfway around. This rule should be mandatory for every resident and renter to learn and understand.
I think most of the problems are a result of one or two errors I see. One is failure to yield to vehicles already in the roundabout. The second, and most frequent, is traveling 3/4 of the way around the circle in the outside lane. This creates two problems. One is where the vehicle in the inside lane is properly exiting at the third exit and now has a vehicle in their way. The other is the when a vehicle is planning to enter the roundabout and sees a vehicle in the outside lane that should be exiting, so the first vehicle starts to enter the roundabout and is now in the path of the vehicle improperly traveling in the outside lane.

I still think it is best to think of the roundabout as if it was a standard intersection without lights or signs. You don't make a right turn from the left lane and you don't make a left turn from the right lane. You don't enter an intersection if traffic is coming from your left. I don't think it's that hard.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

I taught Driver Education for many years and the key thing I tried to teach new drivers is "never anticipate that the other person is going to do what is right or what you expect". In other words, always expect them to do the wrong thing and be ready to react to it. That philosophy has kept me accident free for over 40 years.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

One lane roundabouts is the answer... put a yield sign for each entry.
JJ
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Gold member

Too many people assume that everyone on Villages streets is a Villages resident and knows the rules.
There are many, many vehicles out there from outside TV. Contractors and employees come to mind as well as visitors and just ordinary folks driving through. If residents can't figure these things out, how is an outsider going to know how to navigate the roundabouts?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
I've lived in The Villages for a little over one year and I have never heard one disparaging word concerning the roundabouts except on TOTV ???

Maybe we need special "opt in" forums for dog poop and roundabout, like the political forum.

OK, carry on....
Opt out of dog poop and roundabout threads? Now THAT would be disorienting! How would I know I was on TOTV?
Old 01-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Platinum member

There was a rear end collision on 466A at Morse Blvd when the light turned red. I think they should take the stop lights down.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Sage

I think speed bumps every 50 feet on all the streets would solve all the problems.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
There was a rear end collision on 466A at Morse Blvd when the light turned red. I think they should take the stop lights down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I think speed bumps every 50 feet on all the streets would solve all the problems.

STOP!!!! You're killing me!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.