2 vs. 3 Bedroom Villas

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Question 2 vs. 3 Bedroom Villas

Does anyone know whether more people purchase 2 vs. 3 bedroom villas, which are easier to rent and which are easiest to re-sell.

Followup-thanks everyone for the great input so far. Some additional info: I am a soon to be divorced 60 year old man planning to move to The Villages as soon as I can sell my home elsewhere. My view re: tradeoffs is while 2 bedroom is easier to take care of as one gets older and/or frees one up to spend more time in external activities, 3 bedrooms gives more room to spread out and in my case have a master bedroom, office for web based consulting work and den for TV/stereo/library, or, turning one room into a spare bedroom should I eventually meet a woman with grand kids who might visit or for renting out the villa. As someone cited as a good point...doing the laundry in the garage re: the 2 bedroom Courtyard Villas llike Woodlawn or Beauregard in FL summer heat is not something to look forward to. The 3 bedroom villas have the laundry inside the AC area. Besides..the machines take away garage storage space. Good comment also about the 3rd bedroom being an optional "closet".

Last edited by rfishxf; 02-11-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:59 AM
Veteran member
Default 3 for us

We wanted a 3 br villa because we both spend time on the computer.
So the smallest bedroom is an office/reading area. The other is a master and guest bedroom and occasionally mine when snoring gets too loud! (I am the one who snores).

In the smallest bedroom closet there are also two air mattresses for additional guests. We figure we can accomodate two adults with 2 kids or even 4 adults if they toss coins as to who gets stuck with air mattresses.

We purchased this past fall and rented it out starting in November. We only have had Feb/March rented. I believe that we would have had an easier time renting if it were a two bedroom (less rent). We are using a professional management company (J&D).
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Gold member
Default Two bedrooms

We hope to buy a two bedroom courtyard villa in March. Why go to the expense of furnishing a second bedroom which will seldom be used. I intend to make the second bedroom a reading and tv room, furnishing either a murphy bed, or sleep sofa. Make life simple! Sandra
Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM
Veteran member
Default 2 vs 3 bedroom villa

We have purchased a 2 BR CYV as we are also renting it out. Our thinking was that it would be attracting one couple rather than 2 for rental purposes and therefore there might be less wear. Also felt that most of our activity is outside the villa and we did well with the 2 BR when we rented one before we purchased. Some neighbours suggested we get a 3 BR as we would shortly find the 2 BR too small, and maybe if we were full time we would have considered a 3 BR. But we are currently very happy with our choice. It also is less space to keep tidy!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Gold member
Default 2 BR vs 3 BF

We bought a 3 BR (I had to be talked into it as I thought 2 would be fine for the next few years while we were mostly renting it out). Boy am I glad we did. Mostly because it gives us more options when we have visitors. When we bought, we had 1 grandchild, now have 2 and who knows how many more. We have 4 kids between us, and once in a while we have 2 or more there at a time, along with the 2 grandchildren. These have been short visits, but nice to be able to accommodate everyone, which we couldn't in a 2 bedroom.

Also, there have been a time or two when I have had a girls' weekend there and the extra bedroom comes in handy. When we retire, I can see that even when we have just 1 couple visiting, we will still be able to have our "office space." We currently have a bed in the 3rd bedroom, but think we will change it out to a sofa bed and make it more of an office when we are living there. We also have another queen size airbed and a crib mattress and a pak n play.

Mostly we've had 1 couple renting, but I don't think we try to get any more rent than for a 2 BR as I think most couples don't care if they have a 2 or 3. However, I think we do get the occasional extra renter who may want to have room for visitors, and occasionally we rent to 2 couples. The worst rental as far as wear and tear was for only 2 people. Just naturally messy. In our experience, short term (1 week in off season) renters leave it messier, treating it more like a hotel room. Since we've had no real damage, we think the extra rent we get has been worth it. By the way, I rent it privately, using a couple of websites - vacationrentals.com and thevillages4rent.com. The secret to renting January is not to rent Feb. and March separately before having Jan. rented either alone or in combination. It's not that hard to rent it for the season to one couple, the season being Jan thru March, you just have to not get nervous. If you stick with a management co., would think you can instruct them to do that next season.

Another reason to have the 3 bedroom is that we have decided not to "buy up" after moving there as we originally thought we might. I can't tell you how many people I've met, mostly while golfing, who say they've bought down (went from a designer to a 3 BR CYV) because it's less maintenance, less expensive, more privacy, etc. I've had others tell me if they were going to do it again, they would buy a CYV instead. In an ideal world, I'd have a designer overlooking a pond, but since that's not comfortably in our financial reach, I'm personally happier in our private CYV that I would be in a ranch or a designer that doesn't have a private lot. I think most of the move-uppers I've met (who go from a CYV to a designer) had 2 bedroom CYVs.

Talked to one couple shortly after buying who said they made a mistake buying a ranch, as they were Canadian snowbirds and just felt the upkeep was more expensive on the ranch, although the prices were comparable.

That said, if you plan to be a snowbird, and don't have children or multiple couples visiting at the same time, then the cost of a 2 bedroom CYV is indeed less, and taxes are slightly less on a 2 BR. Utilities might be very slightly less, but I imagine this is more a function of what walls/windows get most of the sun. I believe bonds are the same. I also think the 3 BRs have retained their value better in the recent real estate market, but have no scientific data to back that up. Just my opinion, although I do check on price/availability of CYVs frequently. Part of that depends a lot on location.

Of course, lots of people who start out as snowbirds eventually become year-rounders rather than the reverse.

Anyway, that's MHO, but then again, I think there's always the penchant to rationalize what you bought and why. Probably if I had bought a 2 BR, I'd be justifying why that was the best deal, etc. and same if I had bought a ranch. I guess the best thing to do is "love the one you're with", especially if it would be a financial hardship to switch. If you haven't made the decision yet, though, you have my take (you did ask .

If money was no issue, I'd probably prefer to have a corner lot 3 BR CYV with an extended lanai. As it is, I'm perfectly happy with our 3 BR interior CYV and the chance to spend any extra money on travel, and just not having to watch our pennies too carefully.

This turned into a pretty expansive post, but I think I covered all my bases!
Old 02-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Gold member

Ohiogirl, that was an excellent post. I have 18 months to decide, but I am considering either a 2BR or 3BR CYV, and you have made a good case for the 3BR.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Gold member

Thanks Collie - I was afraid I got carried away. Where were all these words when I had to fill 3 pages for English 101 theses?
Old 02-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
Thanks Collie - I was afraid I got carried away. Where were all these words when I had to fill 3 pages for English 101 theses?
No! Ohiogirl! No! Do not be afraid. I love your posts. I always read them.

And you are really good at explaining real estate decisions. I have learned stuff from you.

You are doing good work, Ohiogirl. Do not besmirch thyself.

Boomer
Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Bless you Ohiogirl. I just learned a bunch!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Gold member

Thanks Boomer! I am one of the thousands who love YOUR posts! What a writing style you have. I am only occasionally humorous in Christmas Card letters (at least I hope I am). You really have it down.

As far as real estate decisions, I should have THAT down. I have moved 22 times as an adult, if I'm counting right, many of which were short-term, but still. . .

Happy shoveling from one Buckeye to another.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Gold member

I'm with Ohiogirl on this one. She noted many reasons we went for the 3 bedroom CYV over the 2 bedroom one. My other reason I wanted the 3 bedroom is because the laundry room is in the interior of the house and not in the garage.

My neighbor hates her 2 bedroom CYV because of having to do the laundry in the garage. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Default Storage, storage and more storage

With storage space at a premium in all of the Villages homes (CYV or designer), 3 BR provides a much needed third bedroom closet.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl View Post
We have 4 kids between us...
Doesn't that make it hard to sleep!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Doesn't that make it hard to sleep!
lol

I thought I wanted a 3 bdrm but, as with other things I though I wanted, that disappeared when I fell in love with our particular courtyard and location. So far it has worked out just fine. But then again we aren't there all the time so who knows.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 02-14-2010, 02:26 PM

buy a murphy bed for second room can have shelves also built in and desk queen bed drops down only when needed and gives room for activity when up
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.