20 cent jump at the gas pump

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default 20 cent jump at the gas pump

Surprised to see gas price jump that much in one day....I undestand that many are predicting $5.00/gallon price by this summer.....Sure glad I live in the Villages and have an electric cart....Yipsters!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Doesn't matter if you have an electric cart or not...

the high price of gasoline will affect everything you buy. TV bubble is not immune to high transportation of goods costs. In fact the high cost is most effective here as it does create panic buying and hoarding. If you were here during the gulf war(s) or a hurricane threat you know exactly what is being said!!

The ultimate is on the horizon...what will we do when the oil supply is interrupted from the middle east. Note I said when it is interrupted...not if!!!!

Electric vehicles like golf carts will not get food stuff to the shelves in the stores!!

Get your hurricane supplies set in your home and keep it refreshed. Could you make 2-4 weeks in TV without going to the grocery store? The question is for anywhere in the USA not just TV.

btk
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Very true Btk

I know the unrest in the Middle East will definitely play into this scenario...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
the high price of gasoline will affect everything you buy. TV bubble is not immune to high transportation of goods costs. In fact the high cost is most effective here as it does create panic buying and hoarding. If you were here during the gulf war(s) or a hurricane threat you know exactly what is being said!!

The ultimate is on the horizon...what will we do when the oil supply is interrupted from the middle east. Note I said when it is interrupted...not if!!!!

Electric vehicles like golf carts will not get food stuff to the shelves in the stores!!

Get your hurricane supplies set in your home and keep it refreshed. Could you make 2-4 weeks in TV without going to the grocery store? The question is for anywhere in the USA not just TV.

btk
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle;333***
Surprised to see gas price jump that much in one day....I undestand that many are predicting $5.00/gallon price by this summer.....Sure glad I live in the Villages and have an electric cart....Yipsters!

Doubt it.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Gas

The government hasn't learned a darn thing since the 1973 Oil Embargo. I am solidly behind DRILL HERE DRILL NOW for both oil and gas. Will we ever learn? Eliminate the Department of Energy turn to the free market and watch the magic of capitalism.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Default Here goes the economy, again

I just can't understand how the oil giants that post billions of dollars in profit is letting this Middle East mess drive up prices and will eventually crash the economy, AGAIN. I see who really runs this country, economy and our government. As I see the international news and my stocks crashing, it tells me who. This really gets my goat.... What a crock and the idiots that are on the oil payroll that sit in Washington will not let us drill this land is crooks and SHOULD be voted out. Anyone that says it will ruin the ecology in on my list.

JMO

Don't mean to ruffle any feathers....
Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Angry Gas $$$

CNBC reported today that oil tankers are still all over the Gulf waiting to unload, some have been waiting for months, the refineries can't run at full capacity because all storage and pipelines are full, and to really top it off, we have started exporting gasoline and oil !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are getting ripped !!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Veteran member
Default BTK is being Realistic

Quote:

btk
The current troubles in the Middle East's impact will be magnified by our decision to cease drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. That alone cuts off 10% of the crude oil we require.

Shortages similar to or worse than those of the 70's are a very real possibility. Remember the gas lines and gas rationing. In addition to BTK's recommendation of a 2 to 4 week supply of food, I strongly suggest that you keep your car's gas tank full and consider having a ten to twenty emergency gasoline supply in your home. It sounds nuts but it is probably better to be safe rather than sorry.

The question will not be whether you have enough in the bank to pay for gas, but rather is there gas available for you to buy. In the event of a national shortage allocations to individual stations will be adjusted to meet the area's criticalness to national need. I suspect TV will be low on the list so that allocations to the producers and transporters of food and other needed supplies can be maintained.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The government hasn't learned a darn thing since the 1973 Oil Embargo. I am solidly behind DRILL HERE DRILL NOW for both oil and gas. Will we ever learn? Eliminate the Department of Energy turn to the free market and watch the magic of capitalism.
I agree that the country hasn't learned from the '73 Embargo. I think we need to be working harder at energy independence and replacing petroleum fuels with alternative fuels. We could be independent of foreign oil with a mixture of energy resources—domestic alternative resources, in addition to domestic petroleum resources.

When you think about it, beyond the hit on our pocketbooks at the gas pump, America's dependence on foreign oil is a real security threat. Oil producing nations can use the price of oil as political and economic weapons to maniupulate the marketplace; money from the oil bankrolls dictators and terrorists. U.S. military operations in the Middle East are aimed in part at keeping the oil flowing.

We need to start by getting our transportation system, our cars, buses, trucks, etc., powered by U.S. resources. Why are Americans still buying big gas guzzling cars? In Europe where gas has been over $5/gallon for years, they drive around in tiny energy efficient cars. Maybe the rise in the cost of gasoline here will act as yet another wakeup call.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Gold member

where is that American exceptionalism when we need it? 1973 is a long time ago yet we have done almost nothing to stop our dependence on oil as our primary fuel. I simply cannot believe that we still do not have a energy policy that includes all energy sources including oil. It should show us all who really runs America. I wonder how much the oil companies pay our reps. to squash any talk of alternative energy. Throughout the world alternative energy is being developed and we are again falling behind. Why? AGAIN FOLLOW THE MONEY. It's a shame that some on this site want to fire all the teachers and yet say nothing about big oil making billions and paying no taxes,or ignoring the inflated salaries of the execs that run these companies. Big oil has hurt America far more than a few teachers staying out of work a few days to stand up for themselves. Its time for us to realize that big business is not our friend. They care only about the bottom line.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Gold member

I was shocked at the prices I saw today as we drove from Market of Marion down 27/441. I had suggested to our friends they would find cheaper gas along that route so they could fill up before driving back north Saturday. Everything was in the range of $3.43 to $3.49 a gallon until we reached Racetrak which was $3.29 a gallon. I tend to think they are going to have an expensive ride north the next two days.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:

btk
The when is here. Fox News just reported that about 30 minutes ago Libia announced that they are halting all oil exports... for security reasons!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Sage
Default Lybia is a good example fortunately they only ship

around 1.5 million barrels per day mostly to European countries. That being said, the Europeans will have to go to the market we buy in to make up the shortfall.
The real cruncher will come from a blockage of the Straights of Hormuz and/or the Suez Canal or some wacko extremists start blowing up shipping or receiving ports or pipelines.

The current administration (just like all previous ones) and we the people are being way to aloof about an issue that will bring this country down to it's knees.

btk
Old 02-25-2011, 07:19 PM
Sage
Default How about $9 per gallon????

That is what it sells for today in London. No big SUV's or super cars or high horsepower hot rods. They have learned to live with the high cost of gasoline.
We have refused to do so.

Coming soon to the USA?

btk
Old 02-25-2011, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Driving back to TV from Miami cruiseport today we saw gas as high as $3.59 for regular. Can't imagine how low income or unemployed people are going to manage this.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.