25.2% tax Increase/Board of Sumter County Commissioners

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The Happy Paper tries to take a shot at educating why the raise is being proposed.

I still say a line by line budget analysis showing proposed budgeted increase vs 2018 actual. The only way to get a real view of where the money went (2018) and where they would like it to go (current proposal).

Without the comparison there remains only arm waving by those who want it passed.

Past experience also confirms most will not ask for it.....takes a lot of work....complicated by those who do not want such info prepared or presented.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The Happy Paper tries to take a shot at educating why the raise is being proposed.

I still say a line by line budget analysis showing proposed budgeted increase vs 2018 actual. The only way to get a real view of where the money went (2018) and where they would like it to go (current proposal).

Without the comparison there remains only arm waving by those who want it passed.

Past experience also confirms most will not ask for it.....takes a lot of work....complicated by those who do not want such info prepared or presented.

That's exactly what I did......line-by-by.
I think it was 400 pages.

I'm still not happy with a +20%, but I understand.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaudit View Post
This whole thing started many years ago when Sumter County went to at large elections rather than district type representation. It was called “One Sumter” and was pushed by the developer at that time. Now he has a majority of the commissioners that he endorses who are making decisions that benefit him and not the people they represent. Here is an article that details “One Sumter”. The tax increase is a done deal and even if you vote them out, don’t be surprised if they don’t end up on his payroll afterwards.

By the way, has anyone noticed that the Villages Homeowners Association (VHA) has been awful quiet on this. Whose side do you think they are on, not the homeowners, but the developers. So much for being a “homeowners” advocate.

ONE SUMTER ONE HOT ISSUE - News - Ocala.com - Ocala, FL
Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
yes yes yes
They are just yes men for The Developer, and they won't get my vote next time around.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:50 PM
Default Where were you last night?

The commissioners listened but did not hear what the current Villagers said at last night’s hearing! If you were not there shame on you!!!
The Morris Family have forgotten what their father and grandfather promised us and stood by their word until their deaths!!
Some way they talked the Sumter Commissioners into getting us to pay for the roads etc south of 44 not the future residents! We are very angry and feel it is unfair for those of us to foot the bill for development we don’t want and we’re told it would not happen!!!!
Morris family do you think it is going to help sell the new area when the word gets out that the developers lied to residents and are trying to make even more money per unit than before and charging these costs off on fixed income residents! It might be wise to rethink this 25% property tax increase!!
The residents are not going to simply roll over and write these checks without looking into legal recourses! Remember many of our residents are lawyers engineers city planners etc themselves!
How many billions of dollars do you need? What about the retired people your father and grandfather worked so hard to provide a fantastic community for? Is this the fairest way to continue developing your land?? Do you care about all the thousands and thousands of people who have loved living their final days in utopia and bought into this dream which you are now asking them to come up with the moneys to finance what your father and grandfather managed in a very very different and fairer manner . Think hard about this because it could be to the detriment of The Villages of the future!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 PM
Default lake county taxes

I've been told that Lake county taxes are going down. Anyone else heard this?
Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtorc View Post
I've been told that Lake county taxes are going down. Anyone else heard this?
Yes, it was in today's Daily Sun, page A12. The Villages Daily Sun ... an excellent source of local news.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:04 AM

Isn't this the first tax increase for them in 15 years?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Isn't this the first tax increase for them in 15 years?

Yepper
Old 09-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
That's exactly what I did......line-by-by.
I think it was 400 pages.

I'm still not happy with a +20%, but I understand.
Oh de you did it again, you went and got facts, you bad boy. Did the same and it is a lot to read, to most it would be boring but the old accountant in me got a perverse pleasure from doing the audit. We would agree, not happy with the 12% increase ours came out but we do see the reasons for the increase.

We question whether people would have been happier if taxes went up over the last years that it went down. Do people think they would be better off? There is an old saying PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER. Also there are two guarantees in life, Death & Taxes. Always like your post, keep it up you bad boy!
Old 09-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyc234 View Post
Oh de you did it again, you went and got facts, you bad boy. Did the same and it is a lot to read, to most it would be boring but the old accountant in me got a perverse pleasure from doing the audit. We would agree, not happy with the 12% increase ours came out but we do see the reasons for the increase.

We question whether people would have been happier if taxes went up over the last years that it went down. Do people think they would be better off? There is an old saying PAY ME NOW OR PAY ME LATER. Also there are two guarantees in life, Death & Taxes. Always like your post, keep it up you bad boy!

Old 09-12-2019, 03:06 PM

Ok
So our taxes went up? 12%?
Old 09-12-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

That's what I said would happen. Not nearly as much as rumored.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:12 PM
Sage

Not exactly. The county tax is going up about 25% but the school tax is essentially unchanged. The county tax is about the same as the school tax. Therefore, the total tax increase (county + school) is about 13%. This is the number mentioned in post #25 and #27.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Last edited by biker1; 09-12-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The county tax is going up 25%. That's where the whole episode started and now has apparently ended. No one said anything about total taxes. The conversation has been limited to county taxes from day 1.
Closed Thread

Tags
increase, tax, commissioners, county, arnold

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.