27 /441 Cart Crossing.

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Golf carts are NOT road vehicles and thus do not have "road rights". Better idea...YOU show me the passage in the FL-DMV laws that says golf carts have equal road rights with licensed, insured vehicles.
A copy of the statute defining motor vehicles.
The highlighting is mine.

320.01 Definitions, general.—As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:
(1) “Motor vehicle” means:
(a) An automobile, motorcycle, truck, trailer, semitrailer, truck tractor and semitrailer combination, or any other vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, special mobile equipment as defined in s. 316.003(48), vehicles that run only upon a track, bicycles, swamp buggies, or mopeds.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum member

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks for the post, downeaster.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
A copy of the statute defining motor vehicles.
The highlighting is mine.

320.01 Definitions, general.—As used in the Florida Statutes, except as otherwise provided, the term:
(1) “Motor vehicle” means:
(a) An automobile, motorcycle, truck, trailer, semitrailer, truck tractor and semitrailer combination, or any other vehicle operated on the roads of this state, used to transport persons or property, and propelled by power other than muscular power, but the term does not include traction engines, road rollers, special mobile equipment as defined in s. 316.003(48), vehicles that run only upon a track, bicycles, swamp buggies, or mopeds.
And..the statue is talking about road-able LICENSED vehicles.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Veteran member

It seems to me that because of The Villages and the proliferation of golf carts and encouragement of their use (and also special lanes and roadways for them) that tunnels and bridges should be mandatory over/under major roadways. As far as underwriting the costs of these infrastructural changes, because The Villages have caused the need for these improvements, it is only logical that the Developer should be liable for these projects. Just as Impact Fees may be imposed when large projects 'impact' a community, so should they be levied here.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Veteran member

"Private Community" does NOT apply to TV since TV is not fully gated and makes use of state, county & municipal roadways within it's boundaries.

Florida State Regulations for Golf Carts | GolfLink.com
Old 03-26-2013, 03:19 PM
Platinum member

You are right Mack184, it is NOT a private community and they are public roads. And by your own reference, the road has previously been designated for their use, which makes the golf carts, in your terms, road-able vehicles since they have lights and reflectors, etc., according to FL State law. It says NOTHING about they need to be insured for travel on The Villages streets.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
And..the statue is talking about road-able LICENSED vehicles.
The section of the statute I noted defines "motor vehicle" and a golf cart is a motor vehicle by that definition. It does not mention "road-able licensed vehicles" to my knowledge.
You stated "Golf carts are NOT road vehicles and thus do not have "road rights"."
Some clarification on your part may help.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.